“He sleeps like nobody’s business! Good night, bud!”
In universe, Mic is a hugely popular hero and Aizawa is next to unknown… But as a character, Aizawa is vastly more popular. This concept continues to be funny to me.
Posted again because I messed up a speech bubble. And I apparently forgot that on Tumblr you can just edit posts. Seems I’M the one who’s been on Twitter too much…
People tend to forget that Aizawa regularly carries a big-ass knife with his hero outfit. All the time.
Like, other heroes have fancy, high-tech weapons, or no weapons at all, and then there’s Aizawa.
With a scarf, a bag of caltrops, and a knife.
I just think it’s really funny.
Mic, in the middle of a battle with a villain, sees Aizawa running towards them: WHAT DO YOU HAVE?
Aizawa, leaping: A KNIFE!
Mic, horrified this man brought a knife to a quirk fight: NO!!!
we dont talk abt it much anywhere but i love the trend of villains liking/approving of aizawa for some reason. half of them are out here railing against heroes and the culture around them then are like “except that guy he alright”
its like the opposite of “fuck this guy in particular”
It’s at its peak in Vigilantes, where he both works with local vigilantes and some low-level criminals. His opinion is basically that since there’s no harm actually being done, it’s not a big deal. Specifically, if you don’t use your quirk to hurt civilians, you’re good.
The two guys standing up were kind of involved in an “accidental villain” incident, and now Aizawa hangs around their shop and can reliably expect their help if he needs it.
Villains are cool with Aizawa because he’s not a snitch. He just does his thing and lets you do yours.
I think he also doesn’t get enough cred for being the kind of hero that Stain and all of the people who believe in his ideology could rally behind. Like, Aizawa is the furthest thing from a “poser celebrity hero”—he works from the shadows and doesn’t want any attention, doing his hero work just because he believes in it. Not only that, but he could go completely the other direction and be a total mysterious introvert—but he does shoulder being around people and dealing with press and media as a necessary evil in order to help raise the next generation of heroes. Aizawa is one of the most selfless characters in the entire manga, both in forgoing glory and his willingness to put himself outside of his comfort zone, all because he presumably believes these are the right things to do. All Might may be the more public representation of the selfless hero, but Aizawa is just as admirable and moral—they are two sides of the same coin, the one in the spotlight and the one backstage.
(I might even venture to say that he is more selfless, as he doesn’t get the type of validation and praise that All Might enjoys, and it’s shown that All Might does seem to covet the attention he recieves. I don’t think that’s a bad thing on All Might’s part, but Aizawa faces all the same struggles without any of the payoff, and you can bet that all of those times UA comes under public scrutiny and Aizawa faces down the schools critics, no one ever criticizes All Might for his same teaching position.)
All in all, Aizawa is generally an awesome guy who everyone can appreciate, if they’re aware of him and his efforts to be a cynical yet powerful force of good in the world
Aizawa is the #1 hero!
My husband getting the credit and acknowledgement he deserves.
Agreed! I have quite a number of ficlets about Hizashi dealing with anxiety and depression. I can see Shouta being a really good, supportive, calming force in his life and capable of supporting him through these episodes, providing what he needs, and bringing him out of it all. Hizashi is a very bright and bubbly person, but depression isn’t choosy, it can affect anyone. Hizashi is lucky to have someone who can take good care of him when it happens and who understands that he needs some time to be back to feeling like himself again.
As fun as the “we’re all Hugo nominees now” posts are, let us not forget that this nomination recognizes the founders and approximately 700 volunteers who work tirelessly to make Ao3 everything that it is. The folx doing the hard work of maintaining and running the site so we can all have a place to share and enjoy fic–that’s who’s nominated for a Hugo, and let’s not forget them.
shouta aizawa, collapsing into his sleeping bag: i cannot deal with ONE more loud person today
present mic, crashing through the door: HEY SHOUTA MY MAN WANNA GET FOOD
aizawa: mic… thank god you’re here, today has been the worst
You know I had to do it
broke: hizashi is the impulsive one out of him and aizawa
woke: aizawa is the impulsive one, because at least hizashi deals with his own emotions and is probably emotionally intelligent enough to recognize impulsivity. meanwhile, we have aizawa shouta over here, who can and will rationalize everything with his fucked up version of logic and is therefore 1000 times more impulsive because of it.
aizawa: hey hizashi i adopted some kids while you were out how do i -
yamada: i was gone for literally an hour h o w
aizawa: it was the only logical thing to do
yamada: we…we were both teaching during that hour… shouta w h a t t h e h e l l
aizawa: language. you don’t want the kids picking up bad habits do you
Aizawa being a snide bitch to Mic since childhood. It’s good to get an early start in these things.
Getting short ones made, promising myself I’ll do the one I wanna do that’s like… essentially like a 20 page comic chapter, eventually, lol.
Me when someone discusses Traitor Mic: How DARE YOU. You come into my home and try to break up MY FAMILY??
Cats will come up to Dabi and curl up on his lap or rub against his legs cause he naturally has a too warm body temperature meanwhile cats will attack Hawks on sight cause he is just a giant pidgeon to them and you Can’t Change My Mind
I’m so glad you asked! I had been meaning to do one of these at some point. I admittedly don’t read much fic anymore due to being too busy, so I’m not up to date with all the new writers out there, but here are a few of my favorites from the past year or so I’ve been in the fandom.
Erasermic Fic/Writer Recs:
1. First and foremost, anything by LAJustice (@aizawashovta). I can’t possibly name a single fic of hers to be the best because they’re all so phenomenal and more often than not, feel like a personal attack against me and my emotions, hahaha. I love every single word she writes and am so happy to be able to create stories with her and call her my friend.
I would definitely recommend her Perception series as a starting point (sex, insecurity, angst so good I can feel the knife twisting in my gut), but you should really just read her entire collection of works because why on earth would you deprive yourself of that?
2. Shout & Mute is a fic by @ill-go-with-that-then that I actually JUST read recently and I can’t praise enough. It’s a body swap fic, but instead of the usual humor that might come along with that situation, it’s full of angst and emotions that made my heart weep. There are so many amazing little details in the way their bodies and quirks are different, and it has some painful pining that is right up my alley. It’s such a fun read. While you’re over there, check out the rest of her works, you can’t go wrong reading one of her fics!
3. Soft Black Leather - By Anonymous. No one knows who wrote this fic, but I would be remiss not to include the story that hit me so hard it made me want to give fanfic a try myself. This story did things to my heart that will never be undone. On the surface, this might look something like an ABO fic, but at its core, it’s a heart wrenching pining fic that anyone who has been here more than a few months will tell you is top tier erasermic. Read this and be a wreck with the rest of us.
4. Gonna get Mine/Jump the Gun by cursedwurm An AU where Hizashi is in a band and Nemuri drags Shouta to one of their shows. One things leads to another and they end up hooking up. Feelings get involved, of course, and things get messy, and my heart breaks the whole way. (Are you noticing a theme here? I love to suffer).
5. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead (or Close to it) by Wolfram003 This one is still ongoing, 14 chapters in, and hasn’t updated in a little while, but I’m hoping will keep going. Even if it doesn’t, it’s still worth the read. There’s a lot of mystery unfolding in this story. Shouta tries to stop a group of villains he’s been tailing for a while and things go spectacularly wrong. I can’t say much without spoiling it, but there’s a lot of action and intrigue mixed with pining and confessions. It’s a thriller and a romance!
6. Buttless writes a lot of fantastic fics. For Hire is one I have been desperately awaiting updates on since I got into this fandom, haha. If you don’t mind incomplete fics, I still think this is a great one to read. It’s another AU where Hizashi is a performer and Shouta is a sex worker. Loneliness leads Hizashi to looking for a unconventional hookup he can’t get out of his head and Shouta surprises him in more ways than one. It’s nearly 10k and it will have you grasping your chest from all the feelings. You won’t get the resolution you might be looking for, but it doesn’t end on a sad note and I think can be considered a fairly finished fic even if it is missing the second chapter. (I will race back to read the second chapter if it ever goes up.)
7. Behind Closed Doors by birbisthewirb ( @birbpotate) Birb is such a good friend and such an amazing writer! I would recommend ALL OF HER FICS, but this one is one I’ve had saved in my bookmarks for a while now. Scandal! Stripper au! Fresh new feelings going terribly wrong! UGh! It has sex and angst and everything in between and I can’t wait for her to finish writing it. Birb is away at training, making all of us so proud, so it might be a while until some of her fics update, but they’re definitely worth the wait. If you don’t plan on reading them yet, bookmark them and wait for her to come back and finish them. You will NOT be disappointed.
I’m sure there are so many other fabulous writers out there who I am forgetting! There are certainly many more amazing fics I have read, but sadly I neglect the bookmark feature and primarily use it to save fics I want to wait for updates on, not so much to actually save ones I’ve already read (can you tell by the fact that 90% of this list are incomplete fics?). So I end up not remembering the names of the fics I loved reading…I’m so sorry! I can guarantee any of the writers on this list will provide you with hours and hours of amazing stories. You should read their entire Works, not just the fics I’ve recommended here.
Special shout out to my girlfriend, @kittymiczawa (Meowmix101 on ao3) who also occupies my bookmarks with her unfinished fics. She refuses to give me special treatment so I have to suffer like everyone else to find out how the hell Strange Voices ends.