Reblog if you support asexuals and aren’t a COWARD
RB if your blog is a safe, accepting space for asexuals!
me, watching my moots reblog this post
ASEXUALS AND ALLIES UNITE!
- William Tell Overture- Rossini (Most famous part at 8:45, but why not listen to the whole thing?) I’m adding hints, at least to the ones I recognized culturally. This one is “go, horsey, go!”
- Also Sprach Zarathustra- Strauss Slow, dramatic entry scene, IN SPAAACE.
- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik- Mozart People running out of a fancy wedding or something. Also known as DUN, dun DUN, dun DUN dun DUN dun DUUUUN.
- Symphony 94, Mvt. 2 “Surprise Symphony”- Haydn ?
- Toccata and Fugue in d Minor-Bach Halloween organ!
- Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2- Chopin Picture a tiny old woman playing piano in a sunlit room with lots of flower vases, about the spill the tragic secrets of her past to some timid young visitor.
- Rondo alla Turca- Mozart the babysitter from The Incredibles: “Time for some COGNITIVE ENRICHMENT!”
- Sinfonie de Fanfares: Rondeau- Jean-Joseph Mouret Royalty is coming. Or someone is getting married. Or royalty is getting married. Also the PBS Masterpieces theme.
- The Four Seasons: Spring- Vivaldi (I just linked to the whole thing because it’s great) Again, someone is getting married, but this one is strings instead and a lot less frumpy.
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring- Bach That one that amateur guitarists love where the notes are all up and down but all the same length. Also used in movie weddings.
- O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana)- Carl Orff SONG OF DOOM. Also song of “baby on fire!” in The Incredibles.
- Funeral March- Chopin ?
- Orpheus in the Underworld: Infernal Galop (A.K.A. Can Can)- Offenbach Well, “aka can-can” says it all.
- Pomp and Circumstance (You probably graduated to this)- Elgar Oh yes, Baaaa dun dun dun duun duuuuun… Also if you were a bandie you had to play it for 3 years before graduating to it.
- Gayane: Sabre Dance- Aram Khachaturian Comically hectic productivity, a circus clown juggling while standing on a ball, or perhaps a rapidly-approaching termite infestation. Could go any way, really.
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Wedding March- Mendelssohn The song movies play right AFTER they both say “I do.”
- Carmen: Les Toreadors- Bizet I can’t be the only one who remembers when ‘Hey Arnold’ did this. “Bullfights and swordfights, rolling in manuuure!”
- The Ride of the Valkyries- Wagner Good song for a naval battle I guess? I can only think of the mini golf course I went to as a kid with the creepy castle on Hole 18 that played this.
- Für Elise- Beethoven That one every amateur piano player loves to play because the beginning is just E and E-flat over and over. Also ballet and piano recital scenes in movies.
- Dance of the Hours- Ponchielli Hello mudda, hello fadda, here I am at, Camp Granada…
- Rigotello: La Donna e Mobile- Verdi More than a few sophisticated movie villains (or snobby good guys) have this playing on a Victrola. Also, tell me you don’t picture Pavaroti no matter who’s actually singing.
- Night on Bald Mountain- Mussorgsky ?
- Romeo and Juliet: Love Theme- Tchaikovsky More movie-love, usually building up to admitting they live each other.
- Entry of the Gladiators- Julius Fucik I have one word for you: CIRCUS.
- Lakmé: Flower Duet- Delibes OMG ALIAS. Nadia’s spy backstory in Film Noir!
- Peer Gynt: In the Hall of the Mountain King- Greig Mischievous Tiptoeing in Movies song. Also something growing out of control, slowly at first and then quickly, and (comically) exploding.
- Rodeo: Hoedown- Copland The title says it all tbh.
- Peer Gynt: Morning Mood- Greig Sunrise/waking up Movie Song du jour.
- New World Symphony Mov. - Dvorak Well now I’m thinking of “An American Tail” and I’m crying…
- Ave Maria (You knew this, but did you know that it was by Schubert?) Nothing to add. I’m not a music snob, really, but if you didn’t know this, YOU SHOULD.
- Canon in D- Pachelbel This is the one that the pretty Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas song comes from. :-)
Add others if you want! Have fun!
- Dies Irae (from Requiem) - Verdi Scary scenes in cartoons, especially involving storms, holes, or treacherous waterfalls.
- Flight of the Bumblebee - Rimsky-Korsakov Oh come on, everyone knows this one! It sounds too much like the title for you to forget what it’s called! Also: Drumline.
- Finale to the 1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky Naval battle! Cannon! Fireworks! 4th of July in ‘Murica! Even though it’s about that *other* war going on in 1812!
- Der Holle Rache kocht in meiner herzen (aka the Queen of the Night aria) - Mozart The one that fancy ladies in movies use to try and break champagne glasses.
- Libiamo ne’ lieti calici - Verdi ?
- Largo al factotum - Rossini Does your cartoon need a classical tune for your rotund Italian chef to sing while tossing pizza dough? Have we got a song for you!
- Overture to The Barber of Seville - Rossini Fast-paced, sneaky-things-are-afoot movie song.
- The Blue Danube Waltz - Strauss Da-da-da dum dum. *plink plink* *plink plink*. As heard in Jack’s entry to First Class in “Titanic,” and a million other places. (Veggie Tales “Stuff Mart,” anyone?)
- Moonlight Sonata (mvmt. 1) - Beethoven The ultimate pretty-and-sad piano and/or ballet scene song.
- Symphony No. 5 - Beethoven dun dun dun DUUUUUN.
I’m sure there are more but these were some of the first that came to mind as missing!
I think this one’s missing, one of my favourites:
Danse Macabre - Camille Saint-Saëns
This is one of the best classical music master-posts I’ve ever seen. I’m so proud of yall
Pavane for a Dead Princess- Maurice Ravel. Apparently it’s in Dark Knight Rises? I just think it’s pretty.
Tales from the Vienna Woods- Johann Strauss II. Contains the melody playing on Rose’s music box in Titanic just before Cal gives her the Heart of the Ocean.
IT KNOWS WHAT FANDOMS YOUR IN
Welcome to Tumblr.
Holy shit this is the most accurate post I have ever seen in my life
wait…this is a completely different gif set on my blog…
Reblog this and then check it on your Tumblr. Go on, do it.
What? How? O_O
HOW DID YOU…..!?!?!?
I call bullshit
OK WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE–
Ive tried this before but maybe it’ll work this time????
It’s the same as it was on my dash
wAIT ADFJKLFJ IT WORKED ON MOBILE
How the fuck
//Oh. My. Fuck.
i dont believe this
OH MY FUCKING GOD I CHECKED MY BLOG ON MOBILE AND THE GIFS CHANGED IM SCREECHING
ok it changed, but to like none of the fandoms im in
There’s a reason lots of good parents say to babies stuff like
“You’re excited to go to the park!”
“Oh, it makes you mad that we can’t go outside.”
And then when the babies get a little bit older the parents can say
“You seem upset. Are you sad?”
“Are you excited that gramma is coming over today?”
Which lets the kid (who is learning to utilize speech) respond with yes or no, which may prompt more questions, like
“So you aren’t sad, are you angry?”
“Yes, does it make you happy when gramma is here?”
And then, finally, when the child is learning to use language in a more complex way, the parents can say,
“How does it make you feel?”
“Why are you feeling like that?”
And it’s all about teaching emotional awareness. I really reccomend using the process on yourself. Learn to ask, “am I happy?” “Am I sad?” “Am I anxious?”
Then practice identifying, out loud or on paper if you can, “I’m happy.” “I’m upset.” “I’m sad.” “I’m anxious.”
Final step: “Why am I feeling anxious? I’m still thinking about that awkward conversation earlier.” “Why am I happy? It’s such a beautiful day outside.” “Why am I sad? None of my friends are responding to my messages.”
It really helps you notice patterns (“I’m more likely to be happy when I’m around this person.” “When I haven’t eaten, I often feel angry.” “If I don’t plan ahead, I get anxious.”) which is the first step in avoiding things and people that are bad for you and encouraging things and people that are good.
Basically don’t forget that you’re just a baby who got more complicated.
Not sure how to articulate what you are feeling? Try starting at the middle and working your way out to the more specific feelings!
(pssst this works with your characters too)
Very useful graph
Okay, I am going to put myself out here: we need masks for all. If you live in a country that doesn’t have widespread use of masks in public, this one is for you.
Here is a graph of coronavirus trajectories by country. All those countries in blue have widespread public use of masks, in addition to other measures.
Obviously I am not basing all of this on a few countries that have managed to slow the spread. Here is a link to a summary of 33 scientific papers that show that masks (even handmade ones, we’ll get to that) reduce spread of infection for the general population. Many of these studies are themselves meta-analyses of data. The evidence is mounting that public mask usage is an important strategy to reduce COVID-19 transmission. I want to highlight this paper in particularly which modeled that public mask usage could slow or even stop the spread of an influenza pandemic.
(The CDC and WHO still maintain that healthy people should not wear masks. Preserving them for healthcare workers is important, but that is a separate question from whether they work or not. It seems likely from the evidence presented above that they do help at least somewhat)
Of course, is a nationwide shortage of masks in most countries. Medical grade masks must be reserved for healthcare workers (if you have some, look for local ways to donate them, many hospitals are accepting donations). So where do we get the masks for the public? We follow the lead of the Czech Republic and Taiwan and make our own. Here is a great summary of how the Czech Republic went from 0 to 100% public mask usage, in less than two weeks.
A person makes masks and a “mask tree” where neighbors could donate handmade masks to others. Note that masks (or anything really) can be effectively sterilized by heating above 70C (158F) either in the oven for paper masks or using regular cycle in your washer and dryer for cloth masks.
Studies have shown even basic household materials like t-shirts can be effective at blocking droplets that contain viruses.
Are they as good as n95 respirators? No. But outside of certain medical procedures, the disease mainly spreads through droplets, and these homemade masks are still pretty good (though not perfect) at blocking those. This goes both ways: the masks provide a layer of protection to protect you, but ALSO contain a lot of the droplets you could be spreading. Some people with the disease don’t have any symptoms at all, so wearing masks is also important to reduce the chance of infecting others. Masks, like social distancing, don’t have to be 100% effective in order to help flatten the curve.
Here is a model from the Seattle area, which shows how small changes in social contacts can effect total case numbers. You can see that even reducing contacts 25% has a profound effect on case numbers after a few weeks. The same thing would be true if wearing masks reduced transmissions by just 25%.
I want to point out, that as long as you don’t take risks you wouldn’t take otherwise and keep your hands off the mask, there is very little risk to doing this now as we wait for further scientific evidence. And the evidence is mounting that simple masks reduce risk and slow spread.
In the Czech republic, they went from no one wearing masks to 100% (it is now mandatory in public) in about 10 days. While the mandatory order to cover your mouth and nose is only a week old, they have seen a slower growth of cases than the rest of Europe despite lots of testing.
Basic masks can be made with just a t-shirt and scissors, no sewing required. Here is a video (in Czech, but you can understand just by watching)
and a few more tutorials
- DIY facemask with filter pocket from Maker’s Habitat (video)
- Facemask with adjustable wire and filter pocket from Easy2Sew (video)
- Craft Passion Face Mask Pattern (pattern & instructions)
- A Dr Explains how to make a facemask from a HEPA filter (video)
Simple mask that can be made with a sewing machine, from Craft Passion
If you get good at making homemade masks, especially the ones with HEPA filters, some hospitals are now accepting donations of homemade masks as well. Check to see what is going on in your local area.
If the papers cited above are correct, wearing a mask now when you need to leave the house for essential chores will likely reduce the time it takes to bring our cases down, and it can be invaluable in keeping cases low when people start to go back to work.
We can change our culture from stigmatizing masks to expecting people wear them. It happened in the Czech Republic in less than two weeks. We can do it too.
If you have the time, please watch this video. It was the thing that really made all of this click for me, and it has a ton of great information. Here is a shorter video from the Czech youtuber who started the movement in his country which I also recommend watching & sharing.
Please reblog & add resouces, tutorials, or selfies! There are three main things you can do to help spread the word: 1) share videos & other information on the topic; 2) take a selfie of you wearing a home-made mask; 3) spread the message, with hashtag #masks4all.
Great-Grandma learned to make sheets to supply hospitals for Spanish flu.
Granfma learned to crochet to make Bandages for WWII
Mom learned to quilt to make comfort objects during the AIDS crisis
I can damn well learn how to make face masks.
This is a big, giant list of Youtube tutorials that will teach you all the basic life skills you need to know in order to be a functional adult. There are a lot of important skills that aren’t included in this list, but this should be enough of a basic guide to get you started and prevent you from making a total mess of yourself. Happy adulting!
Mental Health Skills:
Relationship and Social Skills:
Job Hunting Skills:
I made the mistake of thinking this was a narrative after i saw the bloodstains link, and i tried to reverse-engineer the events of this person’s day from the order in which the links appeared.
ill eventually need this
Everyone needs this.
To be updated as new stories are added.
Last updated on: 2/1/2020
A retelling of Aladdin. Jasmine becomes a powerful sorceress, and Aladdin becomes a true prince in a land far from Agrabah.
A retelling of Cinderella. The stepsisters and Cinderella band together to survive their mother’s abusive treatment.
General Li Mulan
A retelling of Mulan. Instead of going to war to save her father, Mulan is raised by her mother and grandmother and goes to war to secure a marriage with her wealthy classmate, Ping. Then she meets Shang.
he’s the beauty; she’s the beast
A retelling of The Beauty and the Beast. The witch wants to take control of the kingdom, but young Prince Adam won’t let her. So she curses him to be a beast on the inside, and with the ability to see people as they truly are. When arrogant, selfish Belle shows up at his door, he finds her hideous.
what’s a fire and how does it - what’s the word? - burn
A retelling of The Little Mermaid. Ariel discovers she has her own magical powers, and seeks out her grandmother Amphitrite to learn how to control them.
look at me - i will never pass for a perfect bride
A retelling of Mulan. Shang meets Mulan before the draft, and she’s already a great warrior trained by her father. When she shows up in his camp pretending to be a man, he keeps her secret.
my what a guy, gaston!
A retelling of The Beauty and the Beast. Gaston is noble’s son who befriends the young Prince Adam, and falls in love with him. When he find out that a beast has killed the royal family and taken over the castle, he abandons his noble upbringing and becomes a hunter so that he can one day avenge the prince’s death.
the gifts of beauty and song
A retelling of Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent is the good fairy, and the three faeries that raise Aurora are the bad ones. They raise Aurora to be a dark, heartless fae. To save Aurora and the human realm, Maleficent steals Prince Philip and trades him to the Elf King for a young elf servant.
I wonder why each little bird has a someone to sing to
A retelling of Sleeping Beauty, and a companion piece to the gifts of beauty and song. Human Prince Philip finds his place in the Elf Realm, and also falls in love with its prince, Eli.
they call her maid maleen
A retelling of Maid Maleen. Once the queen dies, the king can no longer stand to look at his daughter, the Princess Maleen. She becomes a servant in the palace, and her father remarries and has new children to take the throne. Then Prince Wolfgang visits the palace and falls for the opinionated servant who brings him his meals.
Princess Kaguya of the Moon
A retelling of The Tale of The Bamboo Cutter. Kaguya runs from her home of the moon to earth, where she becomes the beloved daughter of a bamboo cutter. She grows up beautiful, and princes from all across the land seek her hand. None of them make an impression, until the Emperor visits.
looking around here you think - sure, she’s got everything
A retelling of The Little Mermaid. Ariel is the prince of the Atlantica, and heir to the seven seas because the trident chose him when he was just a toddler. Except Ariel is actually a trans girl who’s worried the trident will reject her if it knows she’s a girl, since it rejected all of her sisters. first version here.
paint heaven and anger the gods
A retelling inspired by the Miss Hokusai trailer. Kana is the daughter of Juro, a famous painter who paints beautiful things. She tries to paint like her father, but instead discovers how to do something else: how to paint things with power.
sound the drums of war
A retelling of Pocahontas. Instead of fighting to preserve an uneven peace between her tribe and the pale people, she instead leads them into war. Supporting her are her dear friends Kokoum and Nakoma.
where will they live?
A retelling of the stories of selkies and swan maidens. A swan maiden throws off her cloak of feathers, runs a pub in Dublin, and falls in love with a mysterious woman in a grey silk dress.
she is the snow queen
A retelling of The Snow Queen. Gerda is on a quest to find her best friend Kai, and Madhubala is on a quest to find her lost Summer Queen. Along the way, they find each other.
Let Down Your Hair
A retelling of Rapunzel. Gothel intends to give Rapunzel to her sister, known as the Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe. But thanks to Rapunzel’s mother consuming Gothel’s magic lettuce, Rapunzel has magical powers of her own, which means Gothel must raise her as her own daughter.
Red Robin Hood
A retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood. There’s a sickness sweeping through the village, but their king won’t give them medicine. So Robin dons her red cloak and goes to find some.
A retelling of The Fox Sister. Yeon-saeng is born a kumiho, a fox demon, and struggles to control her painful, gnawing hunger for human hearts.
The Frog Prince
A retelling of The Frog Prince. Halim has been in love with Prince Darius since he was a little boy, and he doesn’t think that’s ever going to change. Aneksi is the daughter of the pharaoh, and thinks being a foreign bride sounds like an adventure.
A retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood. Sequel to Red Robin Hood. Robin goes to a fancy party to steal things, and comes across the captivating Baroness Marian - or Maid Marian, as her friends call her. [n/s/f/w]
A Garden of Secrets
A retelling of The Secret Garden. The garden is older than it appears, and has a conscious of it’s own.
A City Girl
A retelling of Mulan. After her father moves their family to the capital to serve as an adviser to the emperor, Mulan learns everything she can about fighting and strategy, and ends up teaching it to a boy who gets up before dawn to practice.
To prove something to a friend, please
REBLOG IF YOU THINK ASEXUALS BELONG IN LGBTQ+ SPACES
LIKE IF YOU THINK ASEXUALS DON’T BELONG IN LGBTQ+ SPACES
REBLOGGING SO HARD.
YOU BETTER FUCKING BELIEVE IM REBLOGGING WTF
GET 👏🏼 RID 👏🏼 OF 👏🏼 ACE/AROPHOBIA 👏🏼
im gonna reblog this everytime i see it ,,
REBLOG THIS ALREADY!
I have never ignored a like button in my entire exsistance on this blue/teal whatever y'all colour it website tungle dot com!
As an ace myself, the amount of likes on this post doesn’t go well with me.
☝️My thoughts exactly. I don’t like it.
It concerns me that ace people have such a tough time with this.
Aces don’t deserve this shit.
Aces deserve better???? Wow???
>>aces are a part °f the lgbt+, and if y°u think °therwise my spicy kicks will fight>>
I’ll fight whoever thinks they shouldn’t be in their spaces !!
Unfollow me if you think they don’t belong in the LGBTQ+ coomunity.
I’m gonna assume half the likes are just people who didn’t read the post fully
I’m going to assume all the likes are people who didn’t read the post fully.
As of 7/30/2018 7:38 pm
hell yeah I think aces/aros belong in lgbt spaces
if you disagree unfollow me right here right now.
I swear i’ll send the dragon at you if you like this
Never reblogged so fast in my entire life
As a asexual, im worries about the likes on this
if you even breathe on the like button i will find you
My asexual friend is reading this with me, we’re both insulted by the likes.
Wtf do you mean 28k people don’t believe that aces should belong in LGBTQ+ spaces
Me @ anyone who tries to exclude aces and aros:
I’m going to hope most of those likes are uh, “I didn’t fully read the thing but I approve”
I’LL FUCKING REBLOG ON ALL MY ACCOUNTS
I ACCIDENTALLY LIKED IT THEN I UNLIKED IT BC AAAAAAAAAA
Whoops, accidentally liked it. Have unliked it because bitch please, just you try to keep me out of the LGTB+ scene. I’m Aro-Ace and proud.
Gonna assume most of those likes are accidental, because you gotta have some faith in humanity, right?
Do you need to distract yourself? Or are you simply bored? Here are some great websites to make the time pass.
- create pixel art
- Awesome photo editor and art program, all free…!
- Totally free transparent textures
- make a cute chibi
- draw some cool generative art
- be a graffiti creator
- create a picassohead (you don’t need to be a picasso to do so)
- paint online
- another awsome site to create pixel art on
- and another one
- create your own mandala
- or color one
- create an avatar
- or you can try creating your own superhero
- here you can interact with organisms in different environments to see how to music changes
- here’s a website that translates the time into hexidecimal colours,
- Here is a website where you can travel along a 3D line into the infinite unkown
- here is a website where you can listen to rain with or without music
- Need a model in a certain pose for drawing? here
- Want to build your own planet
- here is a website where you can create your own galaxies
- make your own pattern (very useful if you need a new background)
- create next hit comic
- make a city which looks like something from 90′s games
- draw a mandala like design
- jig saw puzzles
- more jig saw puzzles to solve
- create a stunning HTML5 animation - no coding!
- make a movie
- create and dress up dolls
- play a piano
- you can also play a guitar
- create sounds
- another sound creator
- create a logo
- design your dream home
- sketch rooms
- explore fashion trends and create your own sets
- build a website
- try this app for building a website
- Or maybe start learning how to code!
- design your own t-shirt or a beanie or sweatpants and order them
- design your own phone case
- pretend to be a graphic designer with this cool online tool
- Make your own Glitch art
- Here’s another glitch art maker
- And another!
- Holy hell, here’s a third!
- make an image look like it was created by a commodore 64
- freaking cool text generator!
- Easy to use word processor
- Make up really cool patterns or run your photos through it :)
- Write an essay on anything with no hassle
- Wanna see how something you write would look like if it was on JacksFilms YGS((Your Grammar Sucks videos on YouTube))?
- Make pictures out of text
- ASCII word generator
- Need an idea for some fanart-here :D
- sleep calculator
- rice questions
- artsy-fartsy pretty thing
- survive nature
- tumblr music
- calming rain
- backgrounds [x]
- loads of references
Still haven’t found something that would float your boat?
- watch a documentary
- learn to code
- do something yourself
- workout with the help of this great youtube channels
- learn things
- play pokemon or zelda or other awesome old school games
- waste your time on miniclip
- play games at additing games
- or try games at agame
- calm your thoughts
- the quiet place
- it will be okay
- vent or listen to someone
- pour out your soul
- explore the sky
- look at art from around the world
- virtually visit museum of iraq
- explore world with arounder
- create a music playlist
- list through rare books
- scroll useful science website
- create sand art
- brain games
- try out tastekid and discover new favorite band or movie or book
- interactive 3D anatomy
- random street view
- post a secret
- create a family tree
- find our what’s the difference between x and y
- help scientists and become volunteer researcher
- create your own font
- read a classic short story
- In the mood to read, but not sure exactly what book to go for?
- scribble on maps
- listen to letters
- play with acrobots
- listen to podcasts
- make a bucket list
- Ever want to see the most truly useless websites in creation?
- Prank a friend with this blue screen of death!
- Zone out watching the colors drip down
- Sprite generator!
- Face Generator/Creator!
Maybe none of these peeked your interest. Maybe you’ve been wanting to create an o.c, but never really knew how to start, or you just enjoy making O.C’s.
Hell, maybe you have a Gemsona/Transformers/Southpark character that you want to create, but don’t have the energy to draw!
This part of this list is specifically for OCs and Oc building. It can also apply to developing RP characters~
- Just a straight up character gemsona creator
- Here’s another
- Not sure what gem to go with, or where?
- OR maybe your unsure about more than just that?
Credit to https://spacetravels.tumblr.com/post/78602010683/so-you-want-to-make-an-oc-a-masterpost-of-ways For the majority of links here!
I added a couple of links-((In the appearance, details, and the whole of item names section!)), and the Gemsona area-((above)), as well as the couple of Transformers and Southpark character builder links below..Basically everything I made bold, because I am complete fandom trash…
..Seriously, Go check her wonderful blog out~!!!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
Need an Appearance idea?
- Humanoid generator? check
- Here’s another one
- and maybe if you didn’t like those this’ll work
- Need Monsterpeople?
- Well, then here ya’ go
- Maybe you need Cats?
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu;
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- Clothing generator
- Another clothing generator
- More clothing generator
- Aaaand even more
- Steam punk clothing
- Char Style preference
- Dress Generator
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
- Oh shit someone died
- Backgrounds and stuff? yep
- Personality. you need that shit
- Need something fandom related?
- City generator hell yeah
- location? got ya
- make your own god damn laws
Need Item names?;
- Fantasy/sci-fi/etc. medicine names
- Stuff to make things more interesting.Weapons, clothes, treasures… whatever your characters need.
- Item & Artifact Generators
What about Transformers Characters?;
WAIT!…if none of that worked, then maybe you want to make a southpark style character?
- Genre, Plot, & Story Prompt Generators
- How did your characters meet?
- Fanfic plots. you bet your ass.
Other Other stuffs!
- Wanna make a custom minecraft skin?
- Well then these’ll work!
- This one too~
- Wanna make a custom error pop up?
- Or a custom blue screen? X3
- WELP, what about making some ASCII art?
- Here ya go!
- And another one~
- WAIT-last one…
- OH, and here’s a HTML to image converter!
- Undertale character speech box creator!
- Want inspiration for an Undertale Oc?
- OR a super Edgy Undertale Theory generator?
- Maybe you just want to read some funny Sans Puns!
HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING
Way back on the 7th of December, I made this post. I said then that the fires had been in the news since November 21, and probably wouldn’t be out before 2020 hit. It was a slightly sarcastic commentary at the time, but - while I live in Australia - I was and am in a safe and comparatively fire-and-smoke-free area.
I’m not anywhere near where the End Times are descending upon my country in 70km high clouds of fire and death along approximately 4000km of coastline (thank you google maps), and that’s just the east coast (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria). There’s more fires in the Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia, and Tasmania (I am in Tasmania, the island hanging off the bottom of the country, but fortunately for me, the fires aren’t near me yet).
It’s a bit smokey where I am, but it’s not quite blocking out the sun here like it is in other places. My country is on fire, but I am not personally affected just yet, and while I have been in situations where bushfires got close to my house, that was a long time ago and it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as it is now. I genuinely do not know what it’s like for the people who are near the fires right now.
And as much as I just called it the End Times in this very post, as much as these fires have been going for over a month and don’t show any signs of stopping or being stopped, people are doing their best to survive, and in some cases they’re doing that by focusing on animals who have lost their habitats instead of the houses that they themselves have lost.
Recent news is of a storm hitting the Northern Territory. It might bring a bit of rain, it might herald the beginning of the Wet Season, but before that? It’s going to be a whole lot of wind. Wind is particularly unhelpful during bushfire season.
One cigarette, mostly crushed and carelessly flicked out of a car window while driving might start a fire, but frankly, a lot of our flora is naturally highly combustible - full of oils and such - and lots of seeds that need fire to activate at all. The fires could just as easily be the result of a lot of dry heat and nothing else - and it doesn’t matter which is the case right now.
We’re at the point where a highway is not enough of a fire break. Again, 70km high clouds of fire. The fires themselves are setting more fires given a stiff breeze, and there’s plenty of wind to go around. The fires are having a knock-on effect as well. It was hot before, the fires have made it even hotter, and weather patterns around the world are all linked together. Sooner rather than later, the effects of our fires are gonna be felt by other countries too (Sorry New Zealand! We really didn’t mean to melt your glaciers! Sorry Antarctica! Sorry South America!).
Even up in Tropical North Queensland where it has been raining on and off for the past week, we can still smell smoke in the air.
when christian artists change the line in hallelujah from “maybe there’s a God above” to “I know that there’s a God above” >:c
it’s also because Leonard COHEN (!) was Jewish and this is a quintessentially Jewish line, and changing it to that level of Annoying Certainty is stripping it of its Jewish meaning and imbuing it with that particularly American smug evangelical Christian attitude that makes me tired, so very tired
THAT IS EXACTLY WHY
I don’t think I’ve heard any cover artist sing my favorite verses
You say I took the name in vain
I don’t even know the name
But if I did, well really, what’s it to you?
There’s a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn’t matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
I did my best, it wasn’t much
I couldn’t feel, so I tried to touch
I’ve told the truth, I didn’t come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I’ll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
I will always hit the reblog button so hard for Hallelujah but ESPECIALLY mentions of the elusive final verses which are just about my favorite lyrics ever. Why do people always omit the best part of the song??
Yeah, I wonder why the verses that reference specific Jewish mystical and chassidic concepts that aren’t readily understood by American “I love Jews, you know, Jesus was Jewish!” Christians never get any airtime. Funny that.
You say I took the name in vain
I don’t even know the name
But if I did, well really, what’s it to you?
There’s a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn’t matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
These are specifically about Chassidic Jewish theories of the holy language, how each letter and combination of letters in Hebrew contains the essence of the divine spark and if used correctly, can unlock or uncover the divine spark in the mundane material word. And of course, there are secret names of God which, when spoken by any ordinary human would kill them, but if you are worthy and holy and righteous can be used to perform miracles or even to behold the glory of God face-to-face. The words themselves have power. Orthodox Jews often won’t even pronounce the word “hallelujah” in it’s entirety in conversation, because the “yah” sound at the end is a True Name of God (there are hundreds, supposedly) and thus too holy to say outside of prayer.
None of this is to mention how David’s sin in sleeping with Batshevah (the subject of much of the song, with a brief deviation to Shimshon and Delilah) is considered the turning point in the Tanach that ultimately dooms the Davidic line at the cosmological level and thus dooms Jewish sovereignty and independence altogether. From a Christian perspective this led to Jesus, the King of Kings, and that’s all very well and good for them, but for the Jews, the Davidic line never returned and is the central tragedy of the total arc of the Torah. Like, our Bible doesn’t have a happy ending? And that’s what this song is about? There’s no Grace - you just have to sit with the sin and its consequence.
Of course, Cohen is referencing all of this ironically, and personalizing these very high-level religious concepts. Like the point of this song is that Cohen, the songwriter, is identifying with David, the psalmist, and identifying his own sins with David’s. The ache that you hear in this song is that the two thousand year exile that resulted from one wrong night of passion and Cohen feels that the pain he has caused to his lover is of equally monumental infamy. Basically, in a certain light, the whole of Psalms is a vain effort for David to atone for his sin and I think Cohen was writing this song in wonderment that David could eternally praise the God who would not forgive him and would force him and his people into exile. But he ultimately gets how you have to surrender to the inexorable force of God in the face of your own inadequacies and how to surrender is to worship and to worship is to praise - hence, Hallelujah. You can either do the right thing and worship God from the start, or you can fuck up, be punished, and thus be forced to beg for His forgiveness. It’s the terrible inevitability of praise that’s driving him mad.
Like honestly, I identify with this song so strongly as an off-the-derech Jew, I sometimes wonder what Christians can possibly hear in this song, as it speaks so specifically to the sadomasochistic relationship that a lapsed Jew has with their God. It’s such a different song from a Christian theological perspective it’s almost unrecognizable, man. This song continues to be a wonder of postmodern Jewish theology and sexuality from start to finish. Don’t let anyone give you any “Judeo-Christian” narishkeit. This is a Jewish song.
(Sorry about the wild tangent it’s just 2AM and I love this song so dang much, you guys.)
holy shit. woah.
That last bit from @stoneandbloodandwater, that’s a great articulation of the well of feeling, memory, storytelling, and culture packed into one of the most Jewish songs ever to get real famous. The song is both surrender and defiance, and that those are actually a single path together, not two opposite choices.
A small addition: This song is such a deeply resonant Jewish touchstone that every synagogue I have ever attended uses its melody in services from time to time.
It is so important, so powerful, so spiritually resonant that we use it in prayer.
If memory serves me, the cover we most often hear came about specifically because Jeff Buckley was like “man, this song is badass but I don’t know that I can do its concepts justice” and Leonard Cohen was like “you need different verses? Here, I wrote over eighty of the fuckers, pick what you want to use” and so Buckley put together verses that spoke to him as a non-Jew about sexuality and this idea of a failed relationship.
Which wouldn’t be an issue if Christians didn’t then take his adaptation (done, I emphasize again, with Cohen’s blessing) and rewrite it in ways THAT DO NOT COME FROM THE ORIGINAL VERSES.
@hachama try Karise Eden’s (Australian Voice contestant) cover version. She sings both those verses and the power in her voice is amazing.
In Australia we’re fairly casual. When I approach a customer it’s along the line of
“Hi, need a hand?”
After several years the most common response aside from yes/no is
“Nah, I’ve already got two.”
You eventually get a sense for who is going to randomly spout these Dad jokes.
So one day when I was about to approach a customer and my Dad-Joke radar starts going off.
I ask the question, bracing myself for the usual response. Instead I get this-
“Yeah,” he says quite seriously. I’m like okay, the radar is broken, this is a non-joke customer.
And then he holds up the arm I couldn’t see from my approach. It ends at the elbow. “I could definitely use one.”
From that point on I tried to be more professional.
“Hello, do you need any help?”
It worked well until today.
“Well” drawls the customer. “My therapist says yes, but I think I’m fine.”
im reading about cowboy phrases and sayings and like 95% of them are just solid life advice
like idk how accurate these are but somehow they manage to be both peak shitposting humor and genuinely helpful suggestions
fuck self-help books and therapy, all i need to make it in life is my trusty Cowboy Tips™
We deserve autonomy.
IM A FUCKING MOLE
i tried again and got dog HOW AM I AN ART KID
Fuck yeah 💪🏼
I am a Robot apparently
36 right no errors
But I work in a fabric and craft shop so… like daily training
Hey you know how I said I was going to make a workbook on the kind of bullshit you need to do when someone you love dies? I actually did that.
Featuring Helpful Sections such as:
- Death Certificates – What you need, why you need them, and how to get them
- Prepare to spend a long and miserable time on the phone
- What the Everloving Fuck is Probate
- Some Simple Dos and Don’ts
- Shitty Mad Libs – Templates for writing Obituaries and Memorials
- How to plan a non-religious death party
- So you suddenly have to become some sort of hacker or some shit
This is an eighteen page book that you can print out, download, share, and give away; it is meant to be used to collect information about funeral planning and account management after a death OR you can use it BEFORE you die and give people information so they’re not stuck playing Nancy Fucking Drew while trying to keep seventeen cousins who crawled out of the woodwork from gutting each other in front of the fucking casket as they argue about who’s inheriting grandma’s favorite dentures.
It’s not exactly cheerful and it’s full of things that are probably going to feel really fucking raw if you’re processing a fresh death.
I’m sorry! I love you! Death is shitty! I’m trying to laugh about it a little and I hope you can laugh a little too because otherwise we’re all just going to cry together.
(in memory of my weirdo mother and her weirdo siblings who all died too fucking young and left me holding this flaming bag of dogshit)
This is so radically kind, thank you
Life is short, kindness is what we’ve got.
When my mom died it wasn’t exactly unexpected but it was still sooner than we all thought it would happen. It was a huge punch in the guts and the thought of making things and not being able to show her and share them with her still hurts but in that first month it was like drowning.
So I made this for her, and shared it with and showed it to other people who are hurting, because my momma didn’t raise a quitter but she sure did raise a softhearted fool who wants everyone to feel a little more loved and a little more worthy and a little less alone.
I love you. Take care. Be kind.
This is important, useful, and so very damn kind.
Dorothy just wanted something that she could believe in,
A gray dustbowl girl in a life she was better off leavin’.
She made her escape, went from gray into green,
And she could have got clear, and she could have got clean,
But she chose to be good and go back to the gray Kansas sky
Where color’s a fable and freedom’s a fairy tale lie.
Alice got lost, and I guess that we really can’t blame her;
They say she got tangled and tied in the lies that became her.
They say she went mad, and she never complained,
For there’s peace of a kind in a life unconstrained.
She gives Cheshire kisses, she’s easy with white rabbit smiles,
And she’ll never be free, but she’s won herself safe for a while.
Susan and Lucy were queens, and they ruled well and proudly.
They honored their land and their lord, rang the bells long and loudly.
They never once asked to return to their lives
To be children and chattel and mothers and wives,
But the land cast them out in a lesson that only one learned;
And one queen said ‘I am not a toy’, and she never returned.
Mandy’s a pirate, and Mia weaves silk shrouds for faeries,
And Deborah will pour you red wine pressed from sweet poisoned berries.
Kate poses riddles and Mary plays tricks,
While Kaia builds towers from brambles and sticks,
And the rules that we live by are simple and clear:
Be wicked and lovely and don’t live in fear
Dorothy, Alice and Wendy and Jane,
Susan and Lucy, we’re calling your names,
All the Lost Girls who came out of the rain
And chose to go back on the shelf.
Tinker Bell says, and I find I agree
You have to break rules if you want to break free.
So do as you like — we’re determined to be
Wicked girls saving ourselves.
For we will be wicked and we will be fair
And they’ll call us such names, and we really won’t care,
So go, tell your Wendys, your Susans, your Janes,
There’s a place they can go if they’re tired of chains,
And our roads may be golden, or broken, or lost,
But we’ll walk on them willingly, knowing the cost —
We won’t take our place on the shelves.
It’s better to fly and it’s better to die
Say the wicked girls saving ourselves.
This is breathtaking.
I heard this poem once a million years ago, I have been looking for it ever since, and had now found it.
I love it so much more then I remember.
You might be interested to know that she set it to music and it’s also a song.
@darkmagyk And people have made fanvids set to it! (The CD is out of print right now - I have it and I love it so much, but I she’s re-printing a different one … soonish?)
The song is incredible. I hope she makes it available to buy because omg
As someone who works in therapy for a living, I can confirm this is 100% accurate
For Traitor: neck retraction exercise. While lying in bed with your head flat against the mattress, give yourself the biggest double chin you can. Repeat 10 times.
For Jackass: stop hiking your shoulders up to your ears. This is pretty much a stress thing, it’s human instinct to protect our neck when we’re under stress so that predators can’t get at it. Easiest way to do that is be elevating the shoulders, so. Periodically take not of where your shoulders are at.
Absolute Fuckwaffle: stretch out your chest. The rhomboids on the back work to keep our shoulder blades back, so when we’re hunched forward they are constantly straining to do their job. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as telling you to stand up straight, since our pectorals get chronically tight and prevent us from doing so. Step one: pectoral stretches. Hold for at least 20 seconds.
Asshole: Superman exercises. Like the rhomboids, the ESGs are straining against the slump. Stretching the chest will help them, too, but then you e got to strengthen your back. Do 20 of those per day.
traitor tried to murder me last night and fuckwaffle is always up on my shit
I’m gonna try these tips
Reeling from the aftermath of their bodily change, and everything else that came with it, the doorbell ringing was such an incongruous thing to happen that everyone in the house just stopped for a second.
“We have a doorbell?” Skull asked, voice breaking the ringing tone. “What in the world for?”
Right. They were in the middle of the woods and there was a mountain right behind their backyard. The place was likely created for their use. Why would there be a doorbell? And who would be looking for them?
As though getting the impatient, the person rang it again.
Verde sighed, putting down the papers he was attempting to hold up. Badly. Mostly because the papers were the exact size he was and that made reading awkward.
“I’ll get it,” he said, hopping from chair to chair in a feat of acrobatics that he wouldn’t have been capable of in his older body.
Everyone crowded on the kitchen, watching as Verde did a series of flips that enabled him to open the door that was a couple of feet higher than him.
When her dark hair wasn’t enough of a clue, it was her voice when she said, “Oh, a toddler in a suit, how lovely. My dear, have you see Fon? Asian man with a nice smile?”
Fon felt his heart squeeze. “Harry,” he breathed out.
It was barely a whisper but she heard it, because she dashed inside without a care for how Verde spluttered behind her.
“Fon!” she exclaimed, a happy smile on her face. “I’ve been looking for you everywhere, you missed – “
Her words trailed off with a sharp gasp. “Fon?” she continued hesitantly.
Hesitantly, he shuffled to the edge of the table. “Yes, it’s me.”
She gave a gusty exhale and managed a shaky smile. “You look like you need sleep,” she said, skirting around his changed body without a hitch. “Would it be alright to pick you up?”
Since she was the one asking, he agreed. Her hands were soft and warm around him, and he snuggled into them unconsciously.
Maybe it was the warmth, or maybe it was feeling vulnerable and defenseless in his diminished form, but he was the one who said, “I missed you.”
Her hands tightened around him for a second, but she returned it with a wide smile. She brought her forehead to his and looked into his eyes. “I missed you too.”
Fon ached. He wanted to hold her in his arms but he was too small. A tear slid from her, which she quickly wiped away, smile not even breaking.
“I’ll watch over you as you sleep,” she whispered to him. “So please get some rest.”
Immediately, though he didn’t even know what she was capable of, Fon felt his body relax.
Here lies Asia. They are not going to be able to make it.
Here lies Kay. She is a great friend.
Here lies Nosy. She nasty and it’s not as complicated as I’m making it.
Here lies Kat. She is the one out of spite.
Does that mean I am out of spite, like all my spite is gone, or does it mean i have become the “one”(like Neo!) simply through the power of spite?
Our phones know what we’re about, man.
Here lies Tali. They said they would be able to get a hold of the guy who was the guy.
Here lies Ari. She is a very good writer and I am very interested in the job.
Here lies Ashley. She was just so rude to me.
Here lies Michael. They have a call on the time of y’all and I have no idea what to do.
Here lies Creo. She was just a little bit more comfortable than I thought she was.
Here lies Kel. They were both murdered by the time I was going to be there.
Here lies Amber. They had a good lord what time do you want to go to the store?
Here lies Kaycee. They are you can you please send me the address
Here lies Mya. She was a cat
Here lies Mya. She was just a little bit of milk.
Here lies Mya. She was gonna kill the babies.
here lies audrey, she was so sad
Here lies Salem, he thicc
Here lies [REDACTED] she was so excited to see you tomorrow at least
Her lies Maddox Page, he was going to commit a few crimes
Here lies Mickey. They were gay until the end.
Here lies Alyssa. They were homosexual.
Here lies Lain. They are coming to the house to get you
Here lies Sporks, she can be intimidating
Here lies Ace, she is going to be a little late today and tomorrow.
Here lies unicorn, she will never be able to dance
Here lies Minty, she was quiet and she looked like death-
Here lies Sarah, she was quite a bit of a stretch.
Here lies Vodka, she was like a child
Here lies Empty, she was too tired to remember
Here lies Ceia. She was a little too small.
Here lies Ark. She was just a little bit sick.
Trigger warning: Suicide
Ok guys, I know you’ve all seen like a million of these tumblr posts but
Like and reblog this post as much as possible.
My friend is contemplating suicide and we’ve agreed that for every note this gets, she lives another day.
So please, please like, reblog and comment on this post
I don’t know what I’d do without her
thought this’d do better here than on my personal.
another couple notes
When anybody comes out and tells you they’re asexual, please believe them. Being told that you just haven’t found the right person, or that things will change in a few years is just as bad as telling someone who’s gay that’s it’s only a phase.
Asexuality is just as real as homosexuality. It’s just as real as heterosexuality. It’s real just like being bi, or pan. Asexuality is not abstinence. It’s a lack of sexual attraction or desire.
You can still have a healthy, romantic, relationship with a person without sex being involved.
I am a proud asexual and everything in this comic has been said to me. Other asexuals have had it worse than me. They’ve been told worse things, been asked worse questions and some think there’s something wrong with them because they don’t want to have sex. This lovely lady did a post on A standing for Asexual and not Ally, and it describes what I mean by worse excruciatingly well.
So please, believe a person when they tell you their asexual, because it’s very real and not something to be ignored.
I’m bored, home alone, and packing all my books. So here, have a list of book recommendations from yours truly!
- Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit
- A young girl meets a family that gained eternal life after drinking from an enchanted spring, and is left to wonder whether living forever is a blessing or a curse. It’s a fantastic book that hurts your heart in 139 pages.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Six morally horrible people plan an impossible heist for selfish motivations. But the romances between the morally horrible people are somehow still very pure and wonderful. The plot also keeps you on the edge of your seat because you never have all of the information until the last possible second. And if you love fantasy worlds that include POC main characters and LGBTQ representation, this is the duology for you!
- The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin
- Human/dragon shapeshifter romance with political intrigue. And really fun worldbuilding, too.
- Green Rider by Kristen Britain
- One of my favorite series. The overarching plot is wonderful, you genuinely care about all the characters, and this is one of those stories where “strong female characters” means both “well-rounded, well-developed females with agency” AND “kicks some serious ass”.
- Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
- The protagonist is the villain. I wrote that correctly. Artemis Fowl is the villain. The entire series is about his personal journey from villain to hero, with all the beautiful and human mistakes throughout.
- Also, it’s got fairies. With guns.
- Dragon’s Milk by Susan Fletcher
- A super fun (and quick-read) series about people smuggling dragons to safety in a world that is determined to destroy them. Also, lots of baby dragons. And dragons being dragons, and neither morally good nor evil. It’s wonderful.
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
- The funniest fucking book I’ve ever read. God’s starting the apocalypse, but they’ve somehow managed to misplace the AntiChrist. And it just gets more insane.
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
- One of my favorite books of all time. It has a fascinating new take on dragons, genuinely fun political intrigue, romances you root for but aren’t the focus of the plot, and a half-dragon heroine that you absolutely fall in love with. And, if you make it to the second book, Shadow Scales, there is massive LGBTQ representation. I’m talking gay and bi characters, I’m talking trans characters, I’m talking people asking “How may I pronoun you?” and strongly-implied polyamorous relationships. And dragons. And plot twists.
- Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques
- When the Flying Dutchman was cursed to roam the sea forever, a boy and his dog who were on board are spared from the curse due to their pure hearts, are washed ashore and granted eternal life and youth. Now they roam the world helping people and getting into adventures. Don’t let the fun fool you, though, it’s fucking heartbreaking. They really don’t skimp on the “we’re immortal so everyone we love dies” angle, and the “wow, this kid looks like he’s seen some shit”. Also the first book feels much more YA than the other two.
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- I know it’s pretty much only known as middle-school assigned reading, but this book is clever, insightful, and absolutely fantastic. I definitely stood in line to get this book autographed in high school. A boy with no imagination is sent to a crazy world of unique perspectives and interesting insights to rescue Rhyme and Reason.
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- That book they made us all read in 5th grade that is actually all it’s cracked up to be. It’s absolutely trippy fantasy with a sci-fi edge to it, and the characters are so utterly endearing. Personally, my favorite is A Wind in the Door, but that’s book 2.
- The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint
- Contemporary fantasy at its absolute best. It’s modern urban fantasy that puts the fantastic in our world in such a wonderful and beautiful way. The best part is it’s also a story about dealing with physical disabilities, trauma, past abuse, self-healing, the complexity of forging and rekindling relationships with others when one is hurting, etc. Honestly, it’s just fucking awesome.
- Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint
- A book of short stories (all contemporary urban fantasy), and the best way to be introduced to Charles de Lint’s writing. So, if you want to read The Onion Girl but aren’t sure you’re ready for it yet. This is the first book I ever took a highlighter to.
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- Do you want to crush your heart and destroy your soul and cry like a baby in 128 pages? You’ll be happy you did.
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- This is a standalone novel, and the best way to be introduced to Sanderson’s work. This book has phenomenal and complex worldbuilding, three-dimensional characters with agency you will fall in love with, and a book-long mystery that just blows you away when you figure out the answer. If you enjoy this book, you have to read Mistborn next.
- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
- Elantris on steroids. This is, without a doubt, the most fascinating worldbuilding I have ever encountered in literature. It’s so complicated, but completely logical, and the plot is so bewitching. And Sanderson can leave you as many clues as he wants - he will still blow your fucking mind when all the pieces come together at the end. The book takes a while to pick up the pace, but I swear to you it’s worth it.
- Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede
- A princess gets bored, and decides to volunteer to be a dragon’s captive. Then she gets into a ton of adventures and ends up discovering a plot to overthrow the dragon government. It’s a lighthearted, quick and fun read, and Cimorene is my fucking hero.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Oh God, read Pride and Prejudice. It’s my absolute favorite book.
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
- If you can, read the abridged copy. It’s kind of hard to find, so look for the one that was translated by Charles Wilbour and abridged by Paul Bénichou. It’s all the meat of the story and barely a third of the size.
- Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
- I mostly like it because it’s written from the rather limiting perspective of Raoul, which means you’re in the dark about the goings-on of the book until someone bothers to tell Raoul what’s happening. It’s actually a lot of fun.
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- A grim mystery wrapped up like a romance, where the second Mrs. de Winter is trying to discover what truly happened to her husband’s first wife. It’s by the woman who wrote The Birds (which you may know as the famous Hitchcock movie), if that clues you in to the vibe of the book.
- I don’t really have enough classics on this list
Writing resource - How to sail a Full-Rigged-Ship
As I’m writing a story about a sailor, I’ve had to do a lot of research, and I figured it would come in handy to share it.
This particular vessel is relatively young; built in Norway in 1927, Sørlandet is the oldest and most authentic kept full-rigged-ship in active service. Because of how new it is, this ship is a lot more refined than most colonial or victorian ships, whether they’re warships or for trade; Not to mention very different from the hard-to-define “pirate ships.”
Regardless, the video is very useful in understanding the basics of sailing and maneuvering a ship.
I’d also recommend anyone who’s writing a story set on an old-timey ship to check out these resources:
- How did early Sailors navigate the Oceans? (RE. compass, stars, & maps)
- How do you Steer a Ship? (RE. How the wheel & ropes steer a ship)
- Real Life Pirate Ship! - El Galeon - Spanish Merchant Ship (Ship Tour)
Some things to know:
All ships are purposed differently; some ships might have several lower decks for crew’s sleeping quarters, cargo hold, and a gun deck (for cannons). All ships have a private room for the Captain, but other official vassals might also have smaller private rooms for admirals/generals.
It’s important to note that ships come from different nations, sails, models, navigation styles, and time periods, but it’s still helpful to get acquainted with them.
Feel free to drop down a larger scope or depth on ships, since I don’t know nearly enough about them as I’d like to :)