oh to wake up tomorrow and live in a world in which this isn’t a real headline
so true bestie. but anyway. let me lay my head on your chest and fall asleep to the sound of your breath
why did i think of st. john the apostle saying this to jesus
because you have serious problems
Doing the good old I got nothing to wear (even though I own tones of clothing) but with reading and books
sometimes I get so angry thinking about ‘The Imitation Game’ that I have to go in a little ‘upset big tantrum room’ in my head for a calm down
like, Benisnatch Cumberque played the same character he’s always plays as an asshole genius and we were all supposed to be okay with it, but it’s basically character slander
at different parts of the movie Turing is described as ‘arrogant, “inhuman,” “narcissistic,” and even “a monster,” in the film he goes against those around him and is shown to periodically ignore and belittle his colleagues
And. I. Am. So. Angry.
Alan Turing was described by his friends and people that knew him as “intensely shy and kindly”, he was said to “inspire loyalty and affection among those who appreciated his unusual gifts” and was “unfailingly generous with his time and expertise, especially toward younger recruits”
He was kind, he was kind, HE WAS KIND, he was kind
he was kind and geeky and awkward and gay, I don’t care if the whole of society doesn’t find that compelling, I don’t care if we don’t value kindness as an attribute in men, he deserved to be loved and respected as he was, not as we wish he was
I am so sorry Alan Turing, I am so sorry your story was not told with care and thoughtfulness, I am so sorry you didn’t get to be shown to be deeply in love with the men you loved, I am sorry your great and terrible tragedy was never unfolded as a kind and brilliant man abused by a horrible homophobic system
You are a hero that turned the tides of history like no other and I am so sorry
hey op if you’re looking for a kinder movie about alan turing, you should check out breaking the code (1996). breaking the code was originally a stage play, and this is a filmed adaptation. it’s more faithful to his personality, stars derek jacobi (who was also a gay man and plays the part with so much sympathy), and it doesn’t bungle historical details for the sake of adding more drama. here’s a link to a youtube playlist where you can watch it in full
He felt bad for the children who were stuck at bletchley park without their toys so he used spare paper from his office to make them a monopoly board by hand
He was also reported as having a goofy sense of humor where he used to make a show of saying goodbye to everyone at the party and then walk into the closet instead of out the front door
Plus, he was quoted as saying quips like “Beyond the way they speak, there is only one (no two!) features of American life which I find really tiresome. The impossibility of getting a bath in the ordinary sense and their ideas on room temperature.” — Alan Turing (1936)
He was a huge athlete and biked everywhere and sometimes ran the five miles to work every morning, and did things like calculate when his bike chain would break so he could keep riding the thing despite it being ancient
He was still “odd” according to his coworkers as he sometimes wore a gasmask to work to avoid spring allergies and used to chain his coffee mug up to avoid theft at the office, but the same colleagues described him as very friendly, open, and thoughtful as well if not shy.
and finally, of course, there was Porgy
He used to practice his Cambridge lectures in front of this stuffed bear he got in college named Porgy and was delighted when his mom sewed it a little outfit. He kept the bear with him throughout life.
A German doctor drugged and raped several women in his care at a hospital, even thought there were suspicions this was ignored until recently. The doctor was arrested after Police found drugs as well as pictures and videos of him raping the women, and then the man killed himself in his cell. And to “protect his posthumous rights to personality” several women where not informed about what happened to them and had to find out in the press and ask the police for qualification and the courts don’t want to say how many women where affected and possibly not notified. Because that might infringe on a dead rapists rights. WTF man. https://www.tagesschau.de/investigativ/kontraste/vergewaltigungen-krankenhaus-101.html
Women: request female doctors at all times.
do women follow the “jr” “3rd” naming convention
i just realized ive never met a woman whos been named the exact same as their parent and i feel like that has to do with the fact that men are obsessed with themselves and their Lineage or whatever the fuck
The current queen of england is literally named Elizabeth II
monarchs dont count as people
elizabeth i died in 1603 but sure i bet it was about her ego
They aren’t even from the same family…
On the German version of shark tank, a show where people can present products they come up with to investors, two men presented a product they call “pinky glove” for women to use when they take out tampons and then store in there if there is no trashcan in the bathroom.
These two men write on their website that they used to live with female roomates and learned all about womens problems there and now want to solve them! By… selling pink gloves to hide your tampons in…??? One of their advertised uses is to use them at home so other don’t have to see your used tampons btw.
Amazing! This woman crams two semesters worth of literary history knowledge in less than 24 hours because she put of learning for an exam until the last possible minute
Fandom: Harry Potter
“ „In eurer Dimension, bin ich auf Nahrung angewiesen. Zwar vertrage ich eure herkömmliche Nahrung, jedoch hat sie keine Wirkung auf meine Erholung und den Wiederaufbau meiner Kräfte…“ „Und was brauchst du dann als Nahrung?“ fragte Tonks mitten in der Erklärung.
Die Dämonin seufzte und sah dann zu Harry. „Blut oder Sex, und das von, bzw. mit meinem Vertrauten.“ Tonks schrie kurz auf und krallte sich dann an ihrem Harry fest, der blieb jedoch völlig ruhig. „Verstehe, das erklärt das Blut und das Sperma als Bestandteil des Trankes, habe ich recht?“”
Jean-Paul Sartre, The Age of Reason
(via intellectualpoaching )
me but with potions in videogames
- Firefox remains best in show in the category of “browsers that won’t do this bullshit.” It’s got a long, long history of trust, a sizable userbase, and a decent amount of privacy built in, with more extensions and customization options than you’ll ever need. However, note that it can sometimes perform slowly, especially with a lot of tabs open.
- Opera is a slightly lesser-known browser, and my personal main browser for day-to-day use. It has a built-in VPN (though this can be slow at times), adblocker, and anti-tracking tools, with more available via extensions. Opera’s userbase is slightly smaller, so overall less extensions are available than Firefox, and (in my experience) it generally needs a few settings to be tweaked on first startup to make it comfortable to use (notably, the keyboard shortcuts are different from chrome/firefox).
- DuckDuckGo is a privacy-focused search engine that also has (at least) a mobile browser (for Android devices). I’m not honestly sure if they have a desktop or Apple version, but the mobile browser provides many similar safety features to Opera. I find Opera more convenient for casual browsing, but if you’re very conscious of online security, DuckDuckGo might be the way to go.
- Microsoft Edge exists. Don’t use it.
Please do yourself a favor and stop using Chrome!
Ecosia isn’t Chrome based, right? that’s what ive been using, for the trees, and it says it doesn’t save your history but i wanted to check
I’m afraid so. And based on many other Chrome based browser scandals, I don’t trust it.
dammit. ill download firefox then :/ thanks for letting me know
edit: how do you actually download it
edit edit: wHY does it send me to GOOGLE, IMMEDIATELY upon downloading it????? like i have the app and it says “firefox browser” and it’s talking all about how secure it is etc but the little rainbow G icon is right next to the actual browser and theres a link right to Google on the firefox homepage how do i stop that
So from my understanding Firefox uses Google but it blocks all the trackers
that makes sense! ty!! i ended up changing the default browser to duckduckgo anyway (and deleted google and amazon off of the browser options anyway) but i appreciate it!!! (im afraid this all becomes null and void with me using only gmail as all of my email accs but there’s not much i can really do anything about that. hopefully firefox will block gmail from seeing my searches through the gmail account i used to sign in :///)
I’d recommend Protonmail, as a substitute for gmail. It’s a Swiss based end-to-end encrypted email service that is expanding to Proton-calander and Proton-drive with their paid version. Their ProtonVPN also has a free version with limited locations. They also have apps for both android and apple.
To boost Firefox, I’d add-on-
- Facebook Container- isolates your Facebook activity from the rest of your web activity in order to prevent Facebook from tracking you outside of the Facebook website via third party cookies.
- HTTPS Everywhere- Many sites on the web offer some limited support for encryption over HTTPS, but make it difficult to use. For instance, they may default to unencrypted HTTP, or fill encrypted pages with links that go back to the unencrypted site.
- Privacy Badger automatically learns to block invisible trackers. Instead of keeping lists of what to block, Privacy Badger automatically discovers trackers based on their behavior.
- Privacy Possum monkey wrenches common commercial tracking methods by reducing and falsifying the data gathered by tracking companies.
- uBlock Origin is not an “ad blocker”, it’s a wide-spectrum content blocker with CPU and memory efficiency as a primary feature.
- Firefox Multi-Account Containers lets you carve out a separate box for each of your online lives – no more opening a different browser just to check your work email! Here is a quick video showing you how it works.
Under the hood, it separates website storage into tab-specific Containers. Cookies downloaded by one Container are not available to other Containers. With the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension, you can…
- Sign in to two different accounts on the same site. For example, you could sign in to work email and home email in two different Container tabs.
- Keep different kinds of browsing far away from each other (for example, you might use one Container tab for managing your Checking Account and a different Container tab for searching for new songs by your favorite band)
- Avoid leaving social-network footprints all over the web (for example, you could use a Container tab for signing in to a social network, and use a different tab for visiting online news sites, keeping your social identity separate from tracking scripts on news sites)
- Enhancer for YouTube™- Built to get the most out of YouTube, this extension comes packed with all sorts of features that allow you, among other things, to manage ads as you wish, control the playback speed and the volume level with the mouse wheel, automate repetitive tasks such as selecting the appropriate playback quality, configure dozens of keyboard shortcuts to control YouTube like a pro, and much more.
- Decentraleyes- Protects you against tracking through “free”, centralized, content delivery.
- Protects privacy by evading large delivery networks that claim to offer free services.
- Complements regular blockers such as uBlock Origin (recommended), Adblock Plus, et al.
- Works directly out of the box; absolutely no prior configuration required.
- Bitwarden- A secure and free password manager for all of your devices. Bitwarden is the easiest and safest way to store all of your logins and passwords while conveniently keeping them synced between all of your devices.
Several of these also have companion versions in Firefox mobile.
If you are interested in other trustworthy add-ons, this icon shows that the add-on is an editorially curated extension that meet the highest standards of security, functionality, and user experience. Firefox staff, along with community participation, selects each extension and manually reviews them for security and policy compliance before they receive Recommended status.
Good luck! @ or message me if you need anything else.
Edit: I’d make a firefox account so you can log in and sync tabs/bookmarks across devices.
holy shit this is insane thank you so much!!!
Long post but very useful addons. Press j to skip
I’d also like to plug Disroot as a semi-alternative to google services if you’re trying to get away from the google ecosystem altogether. They have email, calendar, contacts, Drive*, and Keep alternatives, and best of all they aren’t tracking you or selling your data. it takes a little finagling to get it set up on your phone, but honestly not that much. Just download F-Droid store app, get the Disroot app, and it’ll walk you through installing all the other things.
*they don’t offer a lot of space, understandably, since they don’t charge for anything, and it still costs money to maintain that kind of storage. I personally chose pCloud as a google drive alternative, and i did pay for it, because i like the storage space. but they also have a free version that’s a bit bigger than Disroot.
I like to use cryptpad as a google docs alternative. For signup you don’t need anything, just put in a username and a password, no email necessary and you can access your documents from anywhere and can share them with people too
I know you're in the UK but have you heard about the PAUSE act/Initiative 16 in Colorado? I got really excited reading about it because it seems like it would be a major blow to animal ag. but other vegans were saying that it would only make the living conditions for animals worse and it wouldn't actually hurt the industry because demand would just move to other states. I felt like that perspective is seeing the trees and not the forest, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts.
I think it would be a huge step forward, but I don’t think it will happen. Even defeated though, the widespread opposition to the bill by farmers and animal agriculture interests and the narrative that it would end animal agriculture, is pretty damning in and of itself. It is an outright admission that their business relies on animal cruelty and that they cannot be commercially successful if even modest animal welfare protections were put in place.
Can’t believe I actually heard about someones death through news instead of seeing people argue about whether or not you can celebrate someones death on here for once
why is it so hard for people to understand that 1. more women in government means better general outcomes for women and 2. the first statement can coexist with individual women in power doing fucked up right-wing shit that is worth criticising
“He is innocent until proven guilty!!!11!!11!1!!”
Does that also apply to the woman you’re accusing of lying, defamation, and filing a false police report? No? Yeah didn’t think so.
can someone tell me why my heart is racing all day? Is that some kind of all day panic attack? All day heart attack? Who knows, certainly not me lol
you need to be cognizant of income inequality and poverty in your own country. but the obvious and overwhelming fact is that the vast majority of people in america live with a dramatically higher “quality of life” than the VAST majority of the world population. any declaration otherwise is not only tone deaf but in my opinion actively malicious
Today I took my aunts dogs outside for a bit and one of them peed on the other while that other dog just stood there, I don’t know if she didn’t notice or just didn’t mind but I noticed it too late to do anything about it…
I think I have asked this before but… how do I stop not doing things and start… doing things?
People talking about how the pronunciation of Irish words/names makes no sense are so obnoxious. Like it’s a different language. And none of actual English pronunciation makes sense. Shut the fuck up.
Why be sad when you can just continue your maladaptive daydream and act as if your responsibilities and obligations don’t exist?
looking at the pile of stuff I have to do for uni that has been sitting on my desk for several days untouched…..
The walking dead has probably been on for too long but I am really enjoying it again since they got rid of Rick. I like what they are doing with these episodes that focus on only a small group of characters instead of trying to give everyone some kind of plotline a lot!