(Make sure you stretch both sides! I like to do this routine twice on each side as I find myself a little looser after the first run through. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds. )
Stretching for the Splits: Quick Guide
I get a lot of asks about how to achieve a split, so I took a couple quick videos today to help out anyone who is working toward this goal! These are my favorite side splits stretches. Here are a few things to keep in mind when stretching for the splits:
- Warm up fully before beginning to stretch! This is important. Warm muscles are much looser and more pliable than cold ones, and much less prone to injury. It’s best to save the stretching for after your workout, or if you aren’t planning on working out, do 5-10 minutes of a full body cardio session that gets your heart rate up. Jumping jacks, kicks, jogging around, running up and down the stairs, dancing to a fast song or two… whatever gets your blood flowing. I find it helpful to do some squats, lunges, and high-knees before stretching my legs as well.
- Try to keep the hips squared when you stretch.This means that both your hips will be facing forward, your legs should be nearly in line with each other, the knee and foot of the back leg will be facing the floor, and your torso should not twist out to the side. Think of pulling the back leg forward and the front leg back. Whether you perform your split squared or turned out/open will depend on your sport/dance style and aesthetic preference, but when stretching always aim for squared hips as it allows a deeper stretch.
- Stretch to the point of discomfort, NOT PAIN. Don’t hurt yourself! A pulled muscle can set back all of your progress for weeks or months, so listen to your body!
- Don’t stretch every day. My general rule is that if my muscles feel fine, I will stretch 2 days in a row, but try to give yourself a break at least every few days and especially if your muscles are very sore. Just like strength training, your body needs time to repair any muscles damage. Stretching too much can actually inhibit your progress. Light stretching however is ok every day.
- Be patient! Splits don’t happen overnight. It may take some 4 weeks and others 4 months and others 4 years, but keep at it and you will see results :)
Of course there are many many more stretches that you can do to help achieve your splits, but these are the basics that will target the hamstrings and hip flexors for your split. Make sure to vary your routine and add new stretches every so often!
Some people have told me that I shouldn’t be wearing bikinis. I even receive (pretty regularly) anon hate mail because of my photos I post. However, I will never stop. I’m not ashamed of my body, and even if someone believes that I should be, I won’t. Loving my body has brought me so much happiness, and I refuse to go back down that path of low self-esteem and poor body image.
You are gorgeous.
I made a printable daily planner for everyone participating in #teamnocheats with imgonnamakeachange. Check it out and join the month of clean eating and exercise until Halloween!
YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Thank you!!!
last night i woke up because two dudes were fighting underneath my window and one dude kept screaming “BRO!! BRO YOU CALLED ME A BITCH IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE BAR BRO!! THE WHOLE BAR!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT BRO??” he sounded so heart broken. why bro. why did you do this.
did u know, there’s this small rural town in japan called obama.
so there’s this girl in a 2007 drama who moved from the city to obama.
and she hates it at first and blames the town for her misery.
i kid u not. didn’t make this shit up.
Pancake breakfast pizzas <3
Recipe on the blog:
2. Headbands, You Asshole
The right headband can accent any hair color or type, so be sure to stock up on big fat thick ones, ones with intimidating bows, and hard plastic ones that will send waves of pain through your astronomically-cute beach waves.
this article was everything i needed out of life today.
8 times that Natasha Romanoff is cooler than you
Carl R. Rogers
Everything you love is lovequotesrus )