your art is SO incredible. i especially love how you create texture within your colouring, its one of the hardest things for me personally. do you have any tips or any specific brushes you use that you'd be willing to share?
Oh thank you very much!
I think I have a coloring tutorial on here that I did earlier but I’ll try my best to update it with current things:
These brushes are recreations of the ones I used to use on my original tablet, I’m still fiddling with the settings so they’re not quite up to par yet.
But here’s a bit from the old tutorial that explains their usage in greater detail:
Using these brushes with Vanilla here, my steps tend to look like this:
Afterwards, I’ll go in with a textured airbrush- an airbrush with a bit of noise- and lightly brush along the edges with a brighter color and set it to overlay. In this particular case, since I used a lot of red and blue, I decided to use a yellow color for the airbrush. It turned out like this:
In the original tutorial, I explained it like this:
And that’s pretty much it, though I have been experimenting a bit lately with the fringe function- something I hadn’t used much by itself but I saw a friend of mine use it on their stream so I decided to test it out using my texture brushes.
This is what lead to more defined lines around the edges of the brush strokes, making the texture easier to spot. Though I had to be sure to add the brush on a different layer instead of directly on the color in order to get this to work.
It’s used here too, but with less variation this time, cuz I wanted to keep the base color more:
Anyway, I hope that helped a little bit :)
(Every ask tutorial I’ve done can be found with the tag #tutorial on my blog, feel free to ask me for new ones if you need them. I’ll be happy to make more)
make me >:0
Oh boy 3 am
I’m watching Regular Show atm-
And there’s a lot of additional characters that sound a lot like Roger Craig Smith,
so whenever some random character shows up to sell tapes or something and we hear him, my brother and I just yell,
Would be cool to collect all these lines…
Riding the wave to tell you that you contribute SO MUCH to the fandom and you're pretty much the opposite of boring? Your ideas and art are so alive and energetic; literally just BURSTING with inspiration and passion. It's contagious, really. I look up to you a lot because of that.
This is too sweet!! Thank youuu, this means a whole lot coming from you especially.
Hey there! Coming from a pretty boring fan, themself, I don't see you boring much at all! If anything you inspired me to do their own sonic comic! I'm pretty shy and it's hard for me to make friends even within the community, but I'm really happy to watch your stuff float around and I get excited each time you share stuff! You're doing amazing!
You all are being so sweet all of a sudden, it’s taking me off guard ^^
And thank you very much! Wow, I’m glad I could be some sort of inspiration to you, even just a little bit :D
Just thought I'd let you know that even if you consider yourself a boring Sonic fan, I won't. While it's true we don't get to talk much, and I often wish we could so I won't feel so awkwardly shy with you all the time, I understand you won't always have the time for me. I really do envy your chill attitude and artistic ability. Anyways, just keep being you and sorry if this all sounds either too sappy at best or too weird at worst. You're cool to me.^^
:D Thank you so much for your kind words. I have a lot of fun reading and thinking about your commentary, it honestly brightens my day immensely.
Reading this was a treat and I will always appreciate you and everything you’ve done for me :)))
A really long winded way for me to say, you’re super cool to me, too.
18, 23 & 27.
Ohh, I thought these questions were over :D Hullo, thanks for the ask
18. Got ony remixes you like?
- I think I answered this question already with Running the Bassline
- If I had to choose another one I’d think of this one:
23. Got any fan characters?
- Oddly enough, not really. The only fan characters I made were made for specific situations like a side character in a comic or an example of an art style… I’m kinda boring
- The two characters I have that I’ve drawn for multiple situations would be these, though:
27. What do you like about the fandom?
- I like seeing everyone’s stories they make for characters, or interpretations of things. The variety and vast amount of skills everyone has is wonderful and inspiring :)
- I don’t really talk to people online that much but watching other people interact and share stuff is fun
excuse me, Sega mandates WHAT--
if it's real, then I'm sad because it just removed a layer of complexity from my favourite character
I mean, Sega never actually said this.
I’m pretty sure it’s a conclusion drawn from how the people at idw seem to be writing Shadow’s character~
Sega mandates that Team Dark no longer a thing and Shadow is not friends with Rouge and Omega. I honestly don’t understand why Sega is trying to make Shadow a Vegta clone. I get he is a foil to Sonic but this is ridiculous.
I haven’t really been keeping up with IDW, really so I’m assuming what you’re saying is because of some sort of development with that.
All my knowledge of Dragon Ball characterization comes from DBZA so when you say he’s like Vegeta…. well
11 & 13? :3
11. AoSTH, Satam or Sonic X?
- Sonic X hands down >:0 I liked the Adventures of Sonic one but I couldnt get over the fact that they drew Sonic’s head as a literal circle with spikes :3c
- Actually, why isn’t Sonic Underground an option? I loved that show.
13. Favorite Sonic form?
- I did say Dark Sonic and Super before, though I guess I’ll explain further. I mostly like them not for what they can do, but what differences Sonic has in his pose, voice, inflections when he’s in these forms. It’s in these forms that we get to see him in all his seriousness. Even the lines he has in Riders (mainly the japanese lines) are less fun and more… i dont know, something to be revered~
3, 15 and 28?
3. How long have I been a Sonic fan?
- Well, Sonic Heroes had the luck of being in the first group of video games we bought for our Gamecube (cuz it was brightly colored and the stages looked cool on the back) so since 2004 (Gosh, that’s 17 years)
28. What do you like about Sonic (the character)?
- Oh gosh, well, when I was little I wanted to be Sonic.
I wanted to go on adventures, have that cool charismatic persona, know exactly what needed to be done to save the day. He was a confident trickster that was everyone’s friend. And me, being a shy, soft spoken person who would sit in the corners and draw by herself, I wanted to be more like him. Or at least be friends with someone like him.
- To this day, I still admire him and everything he does. He has flaws, yes, but that makes him so much better than the version I saw him as when I was little.
- He’s also my favorite color. Whether it was him that made blue my favorite color, though… I don’t think I’ll ever know, trully :))
6 and 13 :]
6. Favorite game(s)
- I would say Heroes as that’s the very one that got me into this mess in the first place. I spent way too many years playing it incorrectly to ever say it isn’t my favorite one.
- Other games on this list would be Sonic Rush, Colors, and all the cutscenes in Unleashed (lol)
13. Favorite Sonic form. Pick one.
I’m just a sucker for character development, I actually like Super Sonic a lot more (for over analysis and headcanon reasons)
15, 16 and 26 for the sonic ask ?
Ooh another one ^^ Thank you guys :)
15. Favorite Sonic level(s)
- Ooh, another tough one, I’m gonna be a little weird and say Aquatic Capital from Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is one of my most loved stages/areas/levels. Not because it was super special, but because it was really surreal to me.
This is Knuckles flying past rails surrounding a huge fountain. For some reason, I loved this place. Even though I was bad at it.
(My other favorite stage is Planet Wisp from Sonic Colors)
16. Favorite Sonic Soundtrack(s)?
But I’m very very biased :)
26. Favorite official Art Style
- Humm, another tough one. I adore Uekawa’s art style as to me that is as official as official gets.
This is still one of the best things mine eyes hath ever gazed upon
17 and 18? :]
Oh hello! I wasn’t expecting anything from this at all :D
17. Favorite Sonic music track(s)
- This is gonna seem really odd but one of my favorites that I keep going back to would be both versions of Hang Castle from Sonic Heroes, this mix has both of them in it :)
Lots of great memories with this one and the beat is amazing between the two of them
18. Got any remixes you like?
- It’s definitely Running the Bassline… a mashup of Jet Set Radio, Sonic Rush, and Lost World
1. Why did you become interested in Sonic?
2. How did you hear about Sonic?
3. How long have you been a Sonic fan?
4. Favourite male character(s)?
5. Favourite female character(s)?
6. Favourite game(s)?
7. Favourite vocal theme(s)?
8. How much merchandise do you have, if any?
9. How many Sonic games do you own?
10. Got any clothing or apparel?
11. AoSTH, Satam or Sonic X?
12. Archie or Fleetway?
13. Favourite Sonic form? Pick one.
14. Classic, Dreamcast or Modern? Pick one.
15. Favourite Sonic level(s)?
16. Favourite Sonic soundtrack(s)?
17. Favourite Sonic music track(s)?
18. Got any remixes you like?
19. What do you contribute to the fandom? (art, writing, edits, videos)
20. Do you closely follow Sonic related news?
21. Been to Sonic Boom?
22. Been to Summer of Sonic?
23. Got any fan characters?
24. Any artists you admire?
25. Favourite voice actor for Sonic?
26. Favourite official art style?
27. What do you like about the fandom?
28. What do you like about Sonic? (the character)
29. Met any Sonic friends through the fandom?
30. Excited for Sonic’s next birthday?
What stuff do you like other than Sonic?
I like a whoooole lot of things- too many to mention.
I guess if I had to have this blog be about something that wasn’t Sonic, it’d probably be Kirby.
Either that or Kingdom Hearts honestly lol
I know you have a Sonic and Shadow fusion called Ombre and I love them but I wanted to know, what if Amy and Sonic fused? I think they would be a pretty cool hero, really strong and fast!
That would be really cool! I have no idea how they’d get into that sort of situation but I imagine that character would be really fun to write.
Does anyone know of a really great compositing program for animation that isn’t After Effects?
My favorite sonic fanfic just updated after over a year of silence and I’m so happy and elated.
You know what that means~
The fic is called beLIEve by Meow21 and is a take on the origins of Dark Sonic and a grim omen that might be catching up to our blue hero.
I’ve been keeping up with it for years now and it’s about half way through
It is not a happy story– but I love it a lot, I wish the author had some sort of blog or something so I could give this to them :(
Oh my goodness, I love you all
But I’m gonna close the asks for a bit
Thankyou for the asks I will answer them soon and then open them again
Some of the Sega Sonic mandates are ridiculous. Like Sonic’s World having no money or political structure how does that even work? And don’t get me started on Shadow and Team Dark. Also Sonic not allowed to be too emotional is dumb.
Ah well, I don’t mind it too much. No money (other than rings) or political structure isn’t too critical to have pinned down under a canon, especially since it would exclude some people. And I don’t know, seeing Sonic bend a knee to a specific government or law is a little against his character.
The emotion part, though, I do sort of agree. I think it’s a great character trope that Sonic doesn’t actually like showing his insecurities or that he actually gets sad or upset, but he does, and when it does happen, even at the smallest amount, it means a lot.
Like seeing the tears floating by in Sonic X as he ran, Dark Sonic’s whole thing, Sonic’s silence in Unleashed and avoidance of people seeing him in his werehog state, and just in general how much he seems to understand the emotional states of enemies and people he meets.
It’s unfortunate we don’t see it too often but it does make what is already there stand out and mean so much more.
This might seem like a strange ask. Given Ruby Sonic tends to be eager to fight anyone a part the Resistance, how would he react to someone who almost...wants him to kill him/her? That they're so hopeless to put up a fight, that it confuses him on so many levels. Like his Chronic Hero Syndrome is kicking in, but it's conflicting heavily with what he's been made to believe by Eggman. Ofc, he'd think this person would be happier under Eggman's "control" I assume as a first solution. I dunno, I just randomly thought this would be an interesting dilemma for him and that it'd further lead him to question his place in this war or which side seems the lesser of two evils. I'm in no way demanding this ought to be a scene of course! Just a hypothetical scenario that might be a little too morbid for PF.
Humm, this is an interesting scenario~
though I don’t think Sonic’s answer would be too complex.
Sonic (as a base) never aims to kill or completely destroy someone. He tends to care for his enemies as well as his friends and the only time he really actually tried to completely mutilate something was that moment with Dark Sonic.
It just isn’t in his nature, I think, to go that far no matter what side he’s on, and I think Eggman knows this too. So his orders (that he may or may not even listen to honestly) would be to just “stop” some folks. Up to Sonic how to interpret that.
If he encountered someone, or a group who wouldnt put up a fight, then he just wouldnt fight them. If anything, he’d probably get down next to them and try to convince them that it’ll all be fine and he can take them somewhere safe, namely Eggman’s base. He’s pretty charismatic so he probably could convince a looot of folks.
It would make it really easy to get in Sonic’s head as a friend if they were to act weak and unwilling to resist.
An easy way to get close.
I think the more morbid part for this would be after he gets out of his amnesiac mess, remember all the things he helped do, and the trust he might have exploited by betraying the civilians to something that he honestly thought was right.