the way that words mean nothing
My friends and I were talking about dating and our favorite parts of dating, and I said my favorite part is holding hands. I love holding hands. Okay, so think about this: We do everything with our hands. We create with our hands. We write. We draw. We sculpt. We talk with our hands. We wave. We gesture. We give thumbs up. We do simple things with our hands, and we do great things with our hands. We use our hands for everything. Our hands are like our whole world. And despite everything and anything we could do with our hands, we choose to hold each other. Like, when I hold your hand, I’m saying, “You are the most important thing right now. My world is yours and your world is mine.” Hands are so cool. We should hold hands more.
“I love kissing. If I could kiss all day, I would. I can’t stop thinking about kissing. I like kissing more than sex because there’s no end to it. You can kiss forever. You can kiss yourself into oblivion. You can kiss all over the body. You can kiss yourself to sleep. And when you wake up, you can’t stop thinking about kissing. Dammit, I can’t get anything done because I’m so busy thinking about kissing. Kissing is madness! But it’s absolute paradise, if you can find a good kisser.”
— Sufjan Stevens
(via purplebuddhaquotes )
Things about journalism that tumblr never seems to grasp
- Headlines have to be as streamline as possible. Aka, they can’t include names unless the article is about a well-known public figure.
- Those “water is wet” articles do more then explain what you already know, they’re providing evidence and sources that support/explain what you already know.
- Oh my god, there’s information after the headline.
- If anything is between quotation marks, it’s not because the journalist is being “ironic” about it and are trying to imply it is untrue. It’s because it is a direct quote.
“The low-maintenance woman, the ideal woman, has no appetite. This is not to say that she refuses food, sex, romance, emotional effort; to refuse is petulant, which is ironically more demanding. The woman without appetite politely finishes what’s on her plate, and declines seconds. She is satisfied and satisfiable.
A man’s appetite can be hearty, but a woman with an appetite is always voracious: her hunger always overreaches, because it is not supposed to exist. If she wants food, she is a glutton. If she wants sex, she is a slut. If she wants emotional care-taking, she is a high-maintenance bitch or, worse, an “attention whore”: an amalgam of sex-hunger and care-hunger, greedy not only to be fucked and paid but, most unforgivably of all, to be noticed.”
No porn on tumblr we describe our nudes in detail instead
today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye shadow. A lot of preps stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.
there are ppl reblogging this not knowing what my immortal is and it’s so fucking funny
I’ll do it here and possibly a separate post. I might forget.
In case you were completely unaware of what MBMBAM Angels is, like I was, here is an excerpt from the website: “As many of you know, the McElroys hail from Huntington, West Virginia. West Virginia has struggled with poverty for many years and Huntington is no exception: It and many of the surrounding communities struggle with economic depression and have been severely impacted by the opioid crisis, among other issues. While the McElroys help us all to feel warm and jolly around Candlenights, there are hundreds of people in their community struggling to find much to be jolly about and, in some cases, even to stay warm. This is NOT COOL.
Back in 2014, the Brothers decided to do something about it. Each year their local paper, the Herald-Dispatch, publishes a list of individuals in Huntington who are asking for the littlest of somethings to make their holidays a little brighter. They reached out to all of us, their fans, and asked if anybody would be willing to take a look at the list and maybe knock one or two off of it to give back to Home Sweet Huntington. Justin dubbed the project the MBMBaM Angels.”
(You can donate to them through PayPal: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
But if you’re not donating, you can always fill a stocking! As you can see, they’re only halfway there, and the Candlenights season is approaching.
They really need help filling stockings this year! Here’s an example of one you can find on their website; be sure to follow the instructions on their about page for filling a stocking.
If you need help, email: email@example.com.
Please donate if you can!
i read the sentence “abusers groom their character witnesses as carefully as they groom their victims” (in a comment thread in response to a “but i know [the accused] and hes such a nice man!!”) and it’s blowing my mind a weird amount even though i guess i already knew that
It’s true and everyone should say it.
Not only that, but they think about it in a conscious and deliberate way.
he’s a mother now
remember that you can always use the wayback machine to access articles behind the paywall !
THE TRAUMA FLOOR – “She leaves the room, and begins to cry so hard that she has trouble breathing. No one tries to comfort her. This is the job she was hired to do. And for the 1,000 people like Chloe moderating content for Facebook at the Phoenix site, and for 15,000 content reviewers around the world, today is just another day at the office.”
HOW MANY BONES WOULD YOU BREAK TO GET LAID? – “The user uploaded a selfie, and other Sluthate posters agreed, mocking the flaws in his face. They congratulated him for “taking the black pill,” shorthand for waking up to the tragedy of being ugly. Ugly people, especially ugly men, they said, are destined to lead unhappy lives and die alone.”
THE UNBELIEVABLE TALE OF A FAKE HITMAN, A KILL LIST, A DARKNET VIGILANTE… AND A MURDER – “Monteiro understood this to be shameless self-promotion. The people running Besa Mafia, whatever that was, had seemingly vandalised his finely crafted piece of wiki-scholarship in order to shill for their assassination website. “I went, ‘What the fuck is this shit?,’” he says. “This is not only nonsense, it’s someone promoting a scam on my article.”
REVENGE, EGO AND THE CORRUPTION OF WIKIPEDIA – “For those of us who love Wikipedia, the ramifications of the Qworty saga are not comforting: If Qworty has been allowed to run free for so long – sabotaging the “truth” however he sees fit, writing his own postmodern novel – how many others are also creating spiteful havoc under the hood, where no one is watching?”
SAD YOUTUBE: THE LOST TREASURES OF THE INTERNET’S GREATEST CESSPOOL – “I didn’t know who Harris or “breackinme” were, where they lived, how they met, how old either of them were — but in three lines, I felt like I knew something profound about their lives. The comment was just so honest and raw (I loved how the author un-self-consciously wrote “you were the sickest guy I’ve met in a while”) that I knew it deserved to be held onto, somehow.”
hey everyone, op of the mini chess set post, theory/ov/everything (dashes instead of slashes), is high high key antisemetic and a neo nazi
the video starts out like this, if you’re unsure if you’ve seen it or not
if you go looking on their blog for receipts please do so with caution, the things they have on there are seriously disturbing and could really mess with some people
i feel like it should be further clarified what they have on their blog for safety reasons. from just a few minutes of scrolling, i’ve found posts justifying jewish caricatures, saying that all billionaires are jewish (i don’t feel i have to explain this one further), and associating jewish people with satanic rituals and pedophilia rings. it’s all majorly disturbing and triggering, and i urge you not to look through the blog if any of this may hurt you.
and THEN we saw mr. tall-dark-and-handsome, kinned by neilman himself coolguy and said, “him. this one will undergo the woobification.”
i love how the fandom looked at the character we are desperately being begged by the canon to woobify, newt, and collectively just went, “no, we hate him, and anathema’s a lesbian”
you know what? go to your local library.
nobody cares if you just want to read Twitter with the free wifi. in fact we’re ecstatic you’re there.
don’t be afraid to touch the books. hell, taking them off the shelf and leaving them on shelving carts is one of the main ways the library counts usage and foot traffic, so don’t reshelve them yourself and don’t be afraid of looking at them!
most libraries now allow covered drinks, and many have special areas where you’re allowed to bring something to eat. have your lunch there, it’s quiet!
lovely large tables for crafts or art? they have you covered!
magazines and periodicals so you can read the newest events or pick up a new recipe? check!
you can even just watch a DVD if you have the appropriate portable screen and courtesy headphones.
GO to the library. LOVE the library. USE the library. you already paid for it!!
I’ve *literally* been writing most of Family Lore and working on art comissions at the local library.
Things Libraries have that are awesome if you’re a creator:
- Wi-Fi. Really, really good Wi-Fi
- Mine doesn’t just allow covered drinks- it’s got a whole-ass coffee bar.
- “study rooms” you can camp in for free (but you have to move if someone books them) OR that you can book for a couple hours on certain days FOR REALLY CHEAP
- like literally i pay $15 for 3 8-hour days a week and i get my own room, a bigass table, great light, the free wifi, AND I CAN RENT ANY REFERENCE MATERIAL OR ART SUPPLIES I NEED
- YOU DIDN’T KNOW?
- YOU CAN RENT ALL KINDS OF SHIT FROM YOUR LIBRARY
- FOR FREE
- I RENTED A MANGIFIER, DRATING TOOLS AND A BUNCH OF ORCHID BOOKS FOR A PROJECT
- I RENTED A GODDAMN SEWING MACHINE ONCE
- F O R F R E E
- it’s like all the benefits of renting an office space but for SO MUCH CHEAPER also you CAN GET ALL KINDS OF SUPPLIES
- THEY HAVE A 3-D PRINTER
Things Libraries DON’T have that are ALSO AWESOME if you’re a creator:
- I 100% understand the appeal of woking in coffehouses- they’re spaces that are designed to be comfortable and if you have ADHD like me the background chatter is actually a good stim but there’s also frequently THAT GUY.
- You know, the guy who sees you working and waves at you until you take your headphones off then he wants to tell you all about how He’s A Writer ™ or a Cinematographer ™ working on a novel or whatever and he just sucks up your time talking about himself and then he wants your contact information because he thinks that because you haven’t actually thrown the overpriced coffe in his face he’s sucessfully seduced you?
- That Guy?
- Is NEVER at the Library.
- Because it’s a quiet space so he can’t talk about himself becuase the hyperstressed college students will literally axe-murder him
- Also I forgot in the earlier section but sometimes The Society For Creative Anachronism does events there and there are actual axe-weilding valkyrie women present.
- that’s very distracting
- but in a good way.
- Your local library ALSO does not have that a rented office space, coffeehouse, or your kitchen table does: missionaries, telemarketers, the couple having a loud and messy breakup at the next table, the nagging sensation that you should be doing housework instead, that one jackass that thought the polar vortex was an ideal temperature and adjusts the thermostat accordingly, your cat jumping on table and spilling stuff on your work, crap wifi, Mandatory overpriced coffee, Office Dress Codes, Or a building manager that “forgets” to pay the utilities becuase they’ve been embezzling everyone’s rent to support thier cabbage patch kids addiction.
Libraries be good shit yo.
God I wish I wasn’t too disabled to leave the house most days. I used to hang out in the library during exam season because my grandma did not respect my ADHD study methods. Libraries are good shit.
Things to do with a list such as this:
- Spread it.
- Download it, keep a back up.
- Publish it offline as well, put it in your local anarchist zine, print posters.
Things to do with the location of camps near you:
- Spread that specific information in your area.
- Get people together. Talk about this. Consider what you can do to spread more information and get more people together. Maybe distribute information at crowded local places.
- When you have a good lot of people, hold some solidarity rallies outside the camps. Inform yourself about your rights before hand. Don’t get yourself all arrested if this is your first step into action and you don’t know each other well.
- If you have a good reliable group of people together and have done some minor actions, start first talking about and then training for more direct actions. Learn your legal rights. Invite activists who can help you as a medic, legal team, etc.
- When you’re ready, blockade the traffic going in and out of these camps.
- Consider moving to more disruptive actions from there.
REBLOGGING THIS BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS! DOCUMENTARIES LIE ALL THE FUCKING TIME, AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS FACT CHECK EVERYTHING A DOCUMENTARY SAYS! Most documentaries have some sort of agenda they’re trying to push, and will twist the truth or outright LIE to push that agenda.
Supersize Me was disproven by several nutritionists yet still shown in school classrooms, Black Fish made all sorts of false claims about the trainers of Seaworld and Orcas in general and was so bad even animal rights activists were calling them out on their false info, there was this shitty documentary claiming Christianity stole all their mythos from Ancient Egypt only to be disproven by ACTUAL EGYPTOLOGISTS, WHO REVEALED HALF THE “EGYPTIAN MYTHS” MENTIONED IN THE FILM WERE FAKE, and so much more!
The number of people who automatically believe everything they saw in a documentary just because it was a documentary is ridiculous and DANGEROUS.
#I got to ask Gurinder Chada tonight why Jules and Jess didn’t get together in the end at a TIFF event #/ were the rumors true about the original script #and she said that just getting a script with an Indian girl greenlit was near impossible #they shopped it around for THREE YEARS #finally the UK film council had a competition and she got a tip from someone on the committee #who gave her a copy of the report that they were gonna reject it #because “you will not be able to find an Indian girl who can play like David Beckham” #so she got in touch with the incoming Chairman of the UK Council and called him out on it #“what the fuck is this - do they think Harrison Ford jumps out of planes?” #“I am your diversity hire and you trot me out all the time and now you are pulling this shit?” #and said “if you don’t fund this film I am going to the press with this repor t#” so they greenlit the movie so they wouldn’t be accused of being racist #but a LOT of changes to the original script had to be made still #like even having the het interracial romance was a fight #so they dropped the Jules and Jess bit #aged down the coach character #interesting tho that they tried to keep the talking points #like Jules lecturing her mom about gender and sexuality #parallels with Tony being gay #and the open ending with the romance with Joe #and she cited an interview that Kiera Knightly made about a sequel #and she said who knows? #basically it was a product of its time# and anytime a movie with a lead with a person of color is made it is a miracle (via dealanexmachina)