After discussing sexism in the refugee crisis, the Church, and financial systems, she went on to criticize her own industry for its deplorable lack of female film critics.
guess that explains why audience score always seems so much more accurate to my viewing experiences than the tomatometer ever is
what people think is hard about writing: describing the joy, love, beauty, grief, loss and hope that form the richness of human experience
what is actually hard about writing: describing basic actions such as turning, leaning over, reclining, gesturing, saying something in a quiet voice, breathing, getting up from chairs, and walking across rooms
Writing advice from my uni teachers:
- If your dialog feels flat, rewrite the scene pretending the characters cannot at any cost say exactly what they mean. No one says “I’m mad” but they can say it in 100 other ways.
- Wrote a chapter but you dislike it? Rewrite it again from memory. That way you’re only remembering the main parts and can fill in extra details. My teacher who was a playwright literally writes every single script twice because of this.
- Don’t overuse metaphors, or they lose their potency. Limit yourself.
- Before you write your novel, write a page of anything from your characters POV so you can get their voice right. Do this for every main character introduced.
Not quite what I was expecting when I installed that blind date mod…
there should be a tax that youtubers pay where 1.5% of all of their revenue goes back to Kevin Macleod for basically supplying YouTube with it’s own soundtrack.
who is this man and what music did he make???
if you hear a royalty free song on youtube, there’s approximately an 80% chance Kevin Macleod wrote it.
here’s some you’ve almost definitely heard:
for those wondering, yes, he also made THE generic royalty free song that was EVERYWHERE in 2014.
And he doesn’t even make a 1000$ per month!
also, his site incompetech.com also has graph paper generators, if you’re in need of that. It has any kind of graph paper - INCLUDING hex paper, you tabletop gamers out there! (or knitting paper if you’re into that)
things that always make me happy: serial commenters. there are three types
1) reading a longfic chapter by chapter, leaving an increasingly emotional comment on every chapter, descends into keysmashes near the end: outstanding
2) read one fic by accident, clicked the author name, now working steadily through the backlog and commenting on everything, I wake up to an AO3 inbox full of enthusiasm: precious beyond words
3) the longterm serial commenter whose comment begins with I don’t even know this fandom but because they have followed me from somewhere else: stunning. humbling. magical.
I was tagged by @keepyourpantsongohan
Rules: Tag 9 people who you want to know better/catch up with and then answer thes equestions.
Last song: Bright by Lilli Furfaro, which is slowly killing me. https://youtu.be/lpXhQPnACyw
Last Movie: Interstellar
Currently Reading: Red Wolf, Black Leopard by Marlon James
Currently Watching: Just finished Bojack Horseman. That was a ride.
Craving: I’m kinda nauseous from eating the worst curry I’ve ever had, but green lemon tea is always welcome.
Anyone else ever get horribly frustrated by the fact that replying on sexist comments on yt videos is probably never going to stop the original commenter from being sexist, and really you’re just opening yourself up to their toxicity? Because I feel that way 24/7.
you make pleasant small talk with kakashi in line at the corner store and you ask about the can of wet dog food that he’s buying. he’s just getting a little one, but it looks like the really expensive organic gourmet stuff.
“wow, someone’s getting a treat!” you say. he nods and chuckles bashfully, scratching the back of his neck.
“yeah,” he says. “i beat my friend at knife hopscotch this morning, so i figured i should celebrate, right?”
kakashi hatake has zero fucking social skills at all and actually coasts through life being so friendly and laid back that people just let it slide when he does absolute freak shit completely casually
you blink at him in confusion, like, what did he just say?, but before you can ask anything else he compliments your hair today, which is so nice, he’s the first one to notice you spent a little extra time styling it, so the conversation continues normally but later you lay in bed and stare at the ceiling like hm. hhmm. that guy….. said…… hmmm………….
“I always intended for Azula to have a redemption arc in the story of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Longer and far more complicated than Zuko’s. She had not bottomed out in the end of season three, she had further to go. At the deepest moment in her own abyss, she would have found: Zuko.
“Despite it all, her brother Zuko would be there for her. Believing in her, sticking by her, doing his best to understand and help her hold her pain that she can no longer hold alone. Zuko – patient, forgiving, and unconditionally loving – all strengths he gained from Uncle Iroh.
“That’s how she would have gotten out, and changed. With the faith and love of someone she had hurt, but who stuck by her anyway. Just as he had been saved by faith and love from someone he had hurt, who stuck by him.
“And I always imagined that after coming out the other side, she would be one of those people who hilariously over-shares her own feelings all the time, and that she would be a bit over-apologetic. Like a Canadian version of Azula.”
– Aaron Ehasz, head writer and co-executive producer of AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER
I look at Boruto for the first time in over a year out of sheer boredom and…Jiraiya…has…been cloned..?
Why does this manga exist