In any article about the elitism of the acting profession it’s curious how the same names are always mentioned (Eddie Redmayne, Tom Hiddleston, Damien Lewis etc) but they always choose to print the photo of Benedict.
Benedict and Kiera in the Metro today. Lovely pair!
In today’s Metro. Can’t wait to hear Tom sing!
The Barts phone box today. 9 Sept 2014.
My boy rocking FrenchOpenBatch style
Benedict accepting the award: Its such an honour to be here receiving this gracious award. i’d like to thank (lists every single member of the cast and crew) and i’d like to thank my parents who were an amazing addition to the show and i’d like to thank martin freeman for being an outstanding co-star and also mark gatiss and steven moffat for their stunning writing. im very humbled thank you so much to the academy.
Martin accepting the award: fucking right
Sarah has an unfulfilled sexual fantasy and John wants to make her happy.My first ever Sherlock fic and first attempt at writing porn! With huge thanks to @splix71 for her constant encouragement and beta-services. You’re the best!
Not sure if anyone else has done this but my brain wouldn’t let it go.
A Stud in Pink
The Blindfolded Barebacker
The Grunt Game/ The Great Gays
A Sex Scandal in Belgravia
Handjobs of Baskerville
The Reichenbutt Fellatio
The Empty Arse
The Sign of Threesome
His Lust Prowl
If you can think of better ones please do pipe up!
Robert Mapplethorpe self portraits at the Tate Modern.
My son posing before the South Bank skate park which featured in The Blind Banker. Lots of graffiti but none with exotic Chinese symbolism as far as we could tell.
At the South Bank Centre today where the Festival of Love is in full summer swing. Lots of exhibitions and events with the theme of love. This installation was called The Tunnel of Love, exploring Ludos - flirty, playful love. Described as a multi-sensory interactive media installation, it was a collage of faces of media personalities in a darkened tunnel lit by a sexy red glow. I was looking for Benedict among the faces and I found Sherlock.
Much as I enjoyed watching all the gorgeous male tottie, am I the only one thinking: where are the female actors? Do the gals have no truths to bestow? But definitely not complaining and I definitely enjoyed staring into the blue eyes of Ben and James.
Have you ever wanted to have Tom Hiddleston plastered all over your chest, pinned up against your wall, flung over your shoulder or thrown down carelessly on your sofa?
Well, now’s your chance. Hiddlespotting is a new design on sale at my Redbubble store and features a selection of mini-Hiddlestons for your delectation and delight. It’s available as a print, poster or card, and also in a text-free version (for space/legibility reasons) as a t-shirt, a throw pillow or a tote bag.
Me: My birthday present to myself today: reading 100k of smutty Johnlock.
Id: how is that different from any other day?
Me: point conceded.
I cannot wait to see Richard III on 22nd August! Looks fantastic.
Caroline here again with your end of the month rec roundup! We asked for fics that relate to breaking the fourth wall, the subject of our upcoming episode, and you guys delivered, as always. Now, especially with this roundup, because there’s a lot of RPF involved, definitely read through the tags on these. Fandom responsibly, people. And may you find something you love!
@alexxphoenix42 recommended lots of things to us:
- 1000 Watsons walk into a bar…, by destinationtoast, rated T, 1.5k. Once in a while, all the Sherlock AU John Watsons get together for drinks.
- echoes through time, by chellefic, rated E, 21k. Mummy sends a trunk from the Holmes cottage in Sussex to 221B. Its contents alter the way John and Sherlock see themselves and one another.
- Mirror, Mirror, by @pennyisdreadful, rated E, 6k. Sherlock likes to bring home his dates for John to enjoy. When he brings home a gorgeous actor named Benedict Cumberbatch from the National Theatre, John gets a performance he didn’t even have to buy a ticket for.
swissmiss had several recs:
- In His Image, by daasgrrl, rated E, 27k. In which a rather different John Watson returns to London, runs into an old friend, and meets someone new. As usual. When the subject of Sherlock comes up, things start getting complicated.
- The Theory of Narrative Causality, by falling_voices (LJ), rated E. Sherlock and John are BNFs in Sherlock Holmes fandom. Together, they fight crime. (Always.) And write porn, incidentally.
- He Who Watches, by buttsnax (LJ), rated E, 4k. ”The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!” (Matthew 6:22-23)
- Molly in the Middle, by @strawberrypatty, rated E, 5k. A case brings Molly and Sherlock to New York. After the case is closed, they enjoy their time with an interesting detective they’ve met. One with whom Sherlock shares many personalities.
consultingdragoness recced these three fics:
- Logical Seduction, by shirleyholmes, rated T, 2k. There’s a bed. Just one bed. In this entire fucking hotel. This is what passes for rational in John Watson’s life.
- Silence of the Sirens, by shirleyholmes, rated T, 1k. Sherlock is a myth and John is a human he’s always known and their story cannot possibly have a happily ever after. Can it? ………“I need your heart,” Sherlock tells him matter-of-factly. “Because I don’t have one.”
- Whatever Remains, However Improbable, by ivyblossom and loudest-subtext-in-television, rated T, 12k. The evidence is all there: we know it’s bound to happen. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are going end up together, aren’t they? Obviously! We can show all the evidence in meta posts on tumblr (and oh we do, we do!), but we could also sit them both down and tell them it’s going to happen. And how it might happen. Doesn’t hurt to nudge them along, does it?
- Through the Looking Glass series, by obsidianembrace, rated M, 103k total over 6 works. When you chase criminals over rooftops, death is always a possibility. We woke up in 1889 instead. Which is not a place two men in a relationship want to be.
- Day out with Benedict Cumberbatch (FFN), by Detective in Training, rated K+, 1k. What do you do when the unexpected happens? When you get to spend the day with the person you adore most in the world? But what if this person has other plans?
- Method Act, by splix71, rated E, still a WIP at 86k. Something very strange keeps happening at 7:35 PM.
And even more recs will be en route to you in our Fourth Wall episode, due out July 1, so stay tuned for that.
Reblog for timezones and a quick edit: tagged the wrong @ pennydreadful! The fic author of Mirror, Mirror is @pennyisdreadful.
Happy reading everyone!
Lovely article in The Stylist today
I’ll come clean and admit that I have read A LOT of Sherlock fan fics. My AO3 account history count is, let’s say, well into 3 figures. As such it’s hard not to encounter repetition in story lines and themes. There is so much good writing out there by talented authors but it’s not often you come across imaginative storylines that still remain true to the original characters. My favourite authors like splix, BeautifulFiction, prettyvk and emmagrant01 (to name just a few) manage to combine gorgeous Johnlock, brilliant storytelling and imagery, but also a large dose of AU and major plot divergence.
I’ve just emerged from 3 days of reading and re-reading the epic Be Here Now universe by Todesfuge. Oh. My. God. This was the author’s first work and I prostrate myself before her incredible person. This story starts post TRF with John Watson grieving horribly. So far so canonical. After that the plot spins out into a heart-stopping, suspense-filled and at times, terrifying, psycho-drama and action thriller. The major characters are all present but the author develops them far beyond the show canon. Minor show characters also make a welcome appearance (Remember Jacqui Stapeleton?) She also introduces beautifully developed original characters who add important elements to the tale. John is, arguably, the central character in the stories although Sherlock and Irene are also top-billed. What is lovely is that the author builds each of these 3 to be more intense, more distilled, more real versions of their canonical selves. Without giving too much away Sherlock is more of a thinker and tactician; John is more BAMF; Irene is more sensual and emotionally intelligent. The amount of research that has gone into military manoeuvres, medical procedures and geo-political machinations is unbelievable. This reads like a John le Carré novel with bonus tender Johnlock. If you’re just looking for sexy times this won’t do it for you. This is drama, suspense and ultimately, a love story. The last work in the trilogy, Kill Switch, is the best by far. The climax of this terrifying story is shattering in its intensity. I was shaking with anticipation by the time I reached the heart-stopping denouement. This universe is really not for the faint-hearted. There are some violent/sadistic scenes, nothing gratuitous, totally necessary in the story, but very uncomfortable nonetheless. I’m baffled why the kudos score on Be Here Now is not higher; the length may put people off. Worth every bit of lost sleep and dry eyeballs from staring at a backlit screen. Kudos x 1000!
I’m a high-functioning sociograph.
Splix: Can this be the prompt for a fic where Sherlock and John have to solve a case in a Benedictine monastery and there are monks prostrating themselves, wearing hairshirts and practising self-flagellation. Sherlock has to disguise himself as a monk and supplicant while John is hiding behind a soaring buttress in the chapel. After the case in the flat, John decides that they should re-enact that part and Sherlock gives up all control to beg John for mercy.