Jewish Quarter of Teruel, Spain (Barrio judío de Teruel, España)
The Jewish quarter of Teruel is located within the historical case of the city of Teruel (Spain), and corresponds to the neighborhood where, during the centuries XIII, XIV and XV, lived mostly its Jewish community. Located at the eastern end of the medieval city, its geographic center is formed today by the square of the Jewish quarter. Today, the district maintains perfectly urbanism of medieval origin, with narrow streets that stretches between the Tower of Ambeles, the Tozal or ancient gate of Zaragoza and the Church of San Pedro.
The city of Teruel, founded around 1170 by King Alfonso II of Aragon, had an important Jewish community, becoming the fifth Jewish aljama of the Kingdom of Aragon if the taxes that got the Crown are taken into account. It had a population of 350 or 400 neighbors, whose life revolved around the synagogue, although it also featured several private oratories, financed by wealthy as the Najari and the Abenmale families, as well as a butcher.
The arrival of the jewish people to Teruel lies from the year 1250, roughly, being from 1270 whit the first direct references to Teruel Jewish neighbors. However, soon this community be strengthened since the synagogue existed in 1279. King Pedro III of Aragon directly supported the installation of new settlers Jews and Muslims in the city of Teruel. Toward 1460 the district begins a rapid decline due to emigration, consequence of the anti-Jewish policy of Fernando II of Aragón, culminating in the expulsion in 1492.
It is currently a renovated district and with plenty of life, thanks to its proximity to the city centre. However, and unfortunately, still the city of Teruel hasn’t joined yet to the network of Jewish quarters in Spain “Routes of Sefarad”. ( Red de Juderías de España “Caminos de Sefarad”.)
(Source from the text https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juder%C3%ADa_de_Teruel#El_barrio) (Pictures are mine)