This is a playlist for you. It’s a playlist that I am sending TO you. Every song on here directly addresses the listener with what I think is a lovely message. I have a few very young people in my life, and the messages in these songs is what I want to be able to tell them as they grow up.
Another important message that I’d like to tell them: these songs should be a supplement to all of life messages that they need to learn. Music needs to be a supplement to communication. It can’t be the only form of communication. It can’t be a substitute for communication. It’s a lesson that I’ve literally spent decades figuring out myself. I used to think I could listen to certain songs and somehow be able to communicate the message and the feelings in that song with a real person. I know that sounds crazy. But I think I developed that because I relied too much on music to get the validation and communication that I needed. It’s not like I was ignored. Far from it. But I wasn’t always really told the messages in these songs. So I leaned to the music to get it.
Not to contradict myself, but at the same time, aren’t these the kinds of songs you’d want someone to say to you? Seriously. If someone sent me any of these songs and said “this song is from me to you”, I’d probably cry from feeling so loved. Can you imagine having one of these songs be sent to you as a letter?? Like…WOW. That’s the whole objective of this playlist. Me sending 20 songs, 20 letters, to YOU. That’s one of the great things about music. It’s a great way to communicate (but like I said, it can’t be the only way to communicate).
How did this playlist get started? That’s easy. I was listening to “Wildflowers” over and over again because of the recent (and fantastic) reissue and just thought to myself very deeply ‘damn. What a message. I wish someone sent a message like this to me’. So, not only this a playlist to you. But it’s also a playlist to me.
- Tom Petty – “Wildflowers” (Wildflowers)
- The Killers – “Life To Come” (Wonderful Wonderful)
- New Radicals – “You Get What You Give” (Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too)
- Elvis Presley – “Follow That Dream”
- Florence + The Machine – “You’ve Got The Love” (Lungs)
- The Beatles – “All You Need Is Love” (Yellow Submarine)
- Bob Dylan – “Forever Young” (Planet Waves)
- Neil Young – “Here For You” (Prairie Wind)
- R.E.M. – “Everybody Hurts” (Automatic For The People)
- Sade – “By Your Side” (Lovers Rock)
- John Williams – “The Flying Sequence/Can You Read My Mind” (Superman: The Movie)
- Brian Fallon – “When You’re Ready” (Local Honey)
- Conor Oberst – “You Are Your Mother’s Child” (Upside Down Mountain)
- Bob Mould – “Camp Sunshine” (Sunshine Rock)
- Coldplay – “Fix You” (X&Y)
- The Five Stairsteps – “O-o-h Child” (Stairsteps)
- Simon & Garfunkel – “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (Bridge Over Troubled Water)
- Dave Matthews Band – “Drunken Solider” (Away From The World)
- John Mayer – “Say”
- Cat Stevens – “If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out”