stars in his eyes
stars in his eyes
So I've read your stories on Toyhouse and I loved them! I haven't been able to stop thinking about them since and how you write Shyloh, I think she's a really interesting and unique character, and I loved that I could understand her thought process; even though she thinks in such a different way you can see the logic behind it and follow it! It's impressive!
And the descriptions of all the fleshy stuff was great and visceral!
Can't wait for more!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! !!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im going to be completely honest and say i had actually forgotten i’d put anything up there at all, and this message caught me by the most delightful of surprises
which is to say THANK YOU??? SO MUCH???? aaAA AA A A?? ? ?? ?
I’m glad you enjoy Shyloh! I’m glad you enjoy my poetic goop! She and her moldy moral compass have been fascinating to explore. She’s one of those characters that gradually became a worse and worse person the more I got to know her. It’s somewhat of an accident that she became the character with the most public drabbles available? I do feel like this is in part because the two (connected?) pieces I did of her are reasonably quick and self contained- they get in, say what they need to about her, and get out.
…Related, but this is also a reminder to myself that I have approximately 80 pages of Xeno content that I’m sitting on. Releasing any of it feels a little weird to me because- looking back- those 80 pages are the early spark of me discovering Xeno as a muse, and not necessarily xer most fleshed out, most realized self. Don’t want to get too far off topic in this ask- but I could probably talk more about those 80 pages if people are interested? Still, it is somewhat odd to note that the more I have of something, the less of it makes it out into the world.
Anyway I’m going to take this chance to point out that Shyloh has a “Live Laugh Love” sign on the wall of this piece, and go
-but also before I do that, I did decided to sneak a couple more story scraps I’ve got lying around to toyhou.se so she’s not the only spotlight, and then hit post on this ask. cheers!
the secret to making good eyestrain art is to have a laptop monitor that’s a goddamn con artist
cotton candy forecast
there is a dark part of my soul that wants to build ic tumblrs for my ocs
[upturns 2021 sketchbook] [shakes until loose oc designs fall out]
ffffffffff f f ff f f fff f f fff f ace s
twenty twenty tooo
⚙️ For anyone other than Xeno and Roxanne because their stances are pretty clear. Also 🕷️ for Ginger or Shyloh?
⚙️ What are your ocs thoughts on science & art? Which do they give more importance to? how much value do they place on each?
[the sounds of Roxanne and Xeno thwapping against the glass]
Prism is- an odd case. Zi is an artistic soul, and places immense emphasis on aesthetic- However, if you asked hir, zi would say zi sides more with science than with art, with objective fact over fabrication. In some ways, this makes sense- zi understands most things through wavelengths of light, and the best language to describe the minutia of that is scientific.
This gets muddier when you realize hir idea of what qualifies as hard fact is- pretty heavily distorted? Zi has a habit of treating hir own beliefs as objective truth, and only accepts new ones when it aligns with hir preconceived notions. Zi sees hir own beauty as an indisputable fact, an involuntary sensation zi inflicts on everyone around hir. Aestheticism is not a personal choice or up for debate, its hard fact. Hir view of the world is simply more correct than other peoples.
🕷️ What is their biggest fear? Do they have any irrational / mundane fears?
Ginger is, in actuality, scared of pretty much everything. She is a small, chewable treat in a world full of animals and teeth, and doesn’t know how to cope with it except by behaving like a wild animal. The world is already big and confusing when you’re 9, it’s only moreso when you’ve been in the mouth of violence.
Shyloh, on the other hand… Shyloh is harder. She’s not fearless- fear can be a perfectly healthy thing to foster. Fear keeps you careful, keeps you aligned. For Shyloh, fear is something that distinguishes her from the hivemind of fungi she is tapped into- the rot doesn’t feel, it only consumes.
If Shyloh were honest with herself, she would say a few things scare her. Formaldehyde, bleach walls, the syringe smile of a bargaining God. Those she will admit to- but she won’t admit to being scared of death.
If you're still doing them, 🌱 for Lorna?
i sure am! :D
🌱 What is their most vivid memory from childhood?
Lorna was an only child, in a big echoey house. Rules were many, but adults checking up on her were few, so she was often left to her own devices and trusted to self regulate. One of the big rules was about the attic- it was forbidden. Not for playing around in. So, obviously, she ventured up there.
The access to the attic was a ladder that came down from the ceiling, and it’s light switch was only reachable after you climbed down. The attic itself offered nothing much to satisfy her curiosity- no haunted antiques, no dusty mirrors, just Christmas decorations and brown boxes who’s contents weren’t worth remembering. (The real world can be so anticlimactic. Sometimes, she wishes another world would take her by the hand.)
However, what Lorna does vividly remember is the attic ladder snapping closed, and leaving her stranded in dust and darkness, where no one knew to check up on her. She remembers thinking she should be scared- and feeling nothing of the sort.
portrait of a polygon
I JUST REALIZED THE PUN IN GINGERS NAME. XNXNNDDNNDNDNDNDNDNDN
🚆train(what is their answer to the trolley problem) for someone who you haven't gotten an ask for yet?
Ginger thinks we’re all playing this game wrong, and that either way there’ll be leftovers all along the track once that train has passed on by. Honestly, we should be focused on trying to redirect the train, because she thinks we missed a couple people back there.
🌌👑🌠 for xeno? :)c
🌌 what was the inspiration behind your oc? what was the first thing you decided about them?
oh god ok. actually, i remember SPECIFICALLY that a friend sent me these stained glass windows that were designed using x-rays,
and i said, verbatim, “fuck, holy shit, fuck, goddamn it, i need this in my mad science ballroom. why havent i cultivated any mad science vibes? holy fuck goddamn it this is everything. god damn it fuck. i will now proceed to be obsessed with this energy a normal amount”
and then i wasn’t
SO i always had “rapture & x-rays” as a seed for xeno? i also recall xe was going to be a lot more physically cut off from people, trapped in an underground bunker and walled off so as not to spread radiation, perhaps only communicating through screens or robots. xe still is pretty isolated, but ive since developed more ways for xer to interact other than villainous zoom calls. xe was ALSO going to be WAY more of a jerk, but then nonconsensual surgery became a touchy subject for xer, so now xe just eats hot chip and cries.
👑 what does your oc want to be remembered as? why?
Xeno romanticizes the breakdown- but xe is honestly not interested in hurting people, as much as xe is exhilarated by change. It just so happens that the easiest, swiftest way to change something is to smash it. Xe is deeply dissatisfied, and wants to use xer time on earth to be something undeniable, irrevocable, a defiant visionary who’s impact cannot be undone or forgotten- Often, this manifests as a sort of inventor’s desperation, a ferocious hunger to build something no one else has before.
However, this is all to say that- more than being a threatening force of nuclear genius, more than the intimidating mad supervillain, I think Xeno wants to be remembered for changing something, for having rewritten people’s ideas of what’s possible. It is the job of an X-Ray to illuminate the unseen, to make it brilliant and undeniable. It doesn’t have to be scary. It doesn’t have to harm. Xe could live a happy life under gentle reformation.
🌠 if they could make any wish with no repercussions, what wish would they make?
The temptation to make a personal wish is immense. Xe already desperately wants xer old skeleton back, wants to undo most of xer history. It would be tortuously easy to wish xerself into a life xe would want to live.
But ‘any’ makes for a big wish, bigger than xerself, bigger than Science. Xeno Cherenkov will die a human death after a human amount of life- why care about Xeno Cherenkov, when there is so much bigger picture out there? So, I think xe holds onto it- gives it a lot of thought, keeps it in xer back pocket as the last Macguffin, before finally using it to totally upturn the power structures of xer world, cosmic consequences be damned.
Something something, could kill god or become god, and xe doesn’t care if there’s a difference. But like- legitimately. If the wish isn’t for xer to displace a higher power, it’s invention- to pass on the technology to be God Slayers to humanity as a whole. And then, like, make it easily accessible so that it isn’t something only billionaires can do. Xe finds that last part to be important.
🤥 I need to know whos the worst liar
oh god, it’s somewhere between Shyloh and Raini, but for completely opposite reasons.
Raini is a nervous stormcloud full of tells. Her hair will have sporadic weather patterns and have cycled through all 4 seasons before she manages to get her story straight. This is especially relevant, because she technically needs to lie while interacting with humans. She’s never sure what things are “normal girl” things, and what things are “I grew up in an interdimensional commune” things, and therefore will find herself lying that she doesn’t know about that Very Obvious Secret Magical Thing, such as forks, or sailor moon.
Shyloh just straight up doesn’t believe in lying. Completely apathetic. She’s deadpan enough that she could conceivably be a good liar, maybe, possibly, but she is loyal to material and will abandon any sense of social grace in a lack-of heartbeat. Unless she has very good reason to want to be committed to a lie, she’ll either say “I do not wish to share that information,” or, like, get bored halfway through and tell you what’s up.
𝐎𝐂 𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐉𝐈 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐒!
feel free to tweak questions + all emojis r listed in text form bc i can’t see some of them aAAaaAA! sorry if any of these questions are too similar i tried to avoid that but .. there’s a lot lol! categorized by emoji type.
i wanted to make one because i could not find one on tumblr already that had a ton of questions. this was created by combining ones under the #oc ask game tag + my own contributions. hi charmymemes nation i’m back.
- 👁️ EYE - what colour are their eyes? do people notice their eyes? is there anything special about them (shows emotion easily, literally magical…)?
- 🤥 LYING - are they good liars? do they have tells to show they’re lying?
- 👻 GHOST - do they believe in ghosts? what are their “ghostly experiences”, if any?
- 💥 COLLISON - what emotions do they have trouble dealing with?
- 😭 CRYING - what makes them cry? do they cry easily?
- 👊 PUNCH - are they quick to violence?
- 💢 ANGER - what are some habits they have that will take some getting used to?
- 👪 FAMILY - what is their family like? what is your ocs relationship to them? does your oc have any siblings?
- 😨 FEARFUL - when scared, do they go into “flight” or “fight”?
- 💤 SLEEPING - do they fall asleep easily? what helps them sleep?
food & drinks
- 🥞 PANCAKE - what is their comfort breakfast?
- 🎂 BIRTHDAY CAKE - when is their birthday? do they like celebrating it?
- 🍩 DONUT - favourite sweet treat?
- 🍟 FRIES - do they order food often? or they prefer to cook their own food?
- ☕️ HOT BEVERAGE - do they prefer hot or cold drinks? what is their favourite drink?
- 🍓 STRAWBERRY - do they eat their fruit & veg? what is their favourite fruit or vegetable?
- 🍰 CAKE SLICE - favourite cake flavour? are they specific about types of cakes?
- 🍧 SHAVED ICE - do they still have any objects from their childhood? what significance does it have to them? what would their reaction be if they lost it?
plants & nature
- 💐 BOUQUET - create a bouqet for them! what do those flowers mean? are any of the flowers their particular favourite?
- 🌙 MOON - what is your oc’s greatest wish? how far are they willing to go for it?
- 🌋 VOLCANO - how bad is their temper? is it a slow boil, or a instant explosion?
- 🌺 HIBISCUS - do they have any allergies?
- 🍁 MAPLE LEAF - what is their favourite season? why?
- 🍃 FALLING LEAF - do they enjoy being in nature? what is their favourite outdoor activity?
- ☀️ SUN - are they a morning person? what is the first thing they do in the morning?
- 🕷️ SPIDER - what is their biggest fear? do they have any irrational / mundane fears?
- 🌹 ROSE - do they like valentines day? have they been confessed to before? have they confessed to anyone before?
- 🙈 SEE-NO-EVIL - whats a side of your oc that they don’t want to show other people?
- 🙊 SPEAK-NO-EVIL - what is something your oc will refuse to stay quiet about?
- 🙉 HEAR-NO-EVIL - what is the worse thing your oc could hear from someone?
- 🌱 SEEDLING - what is their most vivid memory from childhood?
- 🍀 CLOVER - do they believe in luck? are they lucky?
- 🌏 EARTH - will they give up the world for someone they love? is this decision easy for them?
- 🌌 MILKY WAY - what was the inspiration behind your oc? what was the first thing you decided about them?
- ⚾ BASEBALL - can they play sports? what is their best position if they play a team sport? what’s their strong suit (speed, power etc.)?
- 🏊 SWIMMING - can they swim? or are they afraid of water? how well do they swim? how do they feel about swimming in the ocean?
- 📣 MEGAPHONE - how loud are they? what do they speak like? got a voice claim?
- 📖 OPEN BOOK - do they like reading? what’s their favourite genre?
- 🪤 MOUSE TRAP - what will always lure them into certain danger? a loved one in danger? a promise of something they are always searching for?
- 📸 CAMERA - do they enjoy having their picture taken? what’s their go-to pose? do they like taking photos? what do they take photos of?
- 🎭 MASKS - do they act differently around certain people? what’s different between the way they act around friends, family, strangers, etc.?
- ✂️ SCISSORS - what is the “last straw” for them to cut someone out of their life? how easily do they let go of people?
- 💡 LIGHTBULB - is your oc a planner? do they write down every small detail or just wing it?
- 💎 DIAMOND - how rich are they? can they live the lifestyle they want to?
- 🎁 PRESENT - what types of presents would they be most happy to receive? are they good at gift giving?
- 🍼 BABY BOTTLE - what are their thoughts on children?
- 🔪 KNIFE - how do they react to injury / misfortune befalling their loved ones (significant other, family, friends)? do they put themselves at blame?
- 👑 CROWN - what does your oc want to be remembered as? why?
- ✏️ PENCIL - is there a particular quote / lyric that you associate with them?
- 🎵 MUSIC NOTE - what is their playlist like? their favourite artists? do you associate a particular song with them?
- 🎤 MICROPHONE - are they good at singing? what is their go-to karaoke song?
- 🎷 SAXOPHONE - do they play any instruments? are they any good at it?
- 📚 BOOKS - how were they at school? what is their best subject? what is their worst subject? do they have a favourite subject?
- 👖 JEANS - what is their go-to outfit?
- 🎨 PALETTE - can they draw? what do they like to draw?
- 🎡 FERRIS WHEEL - are they someone who wants to kiss at the top of the ferris wheel?
- ⏳ HOURGLASS - are they usually late or on-time?
- 🔫 PISTOL - do they trust people easily? how easily will they turn their back to someone? have they been backstabbed before? will they betray someone if given an ultimatum?
- 🎀 RIBBON - how would they fit into other worlds / aus? what aus would you like to try out? what fictional world would they fit / not fit into?
- 📎 PAPERCLIP - a random fact.
- 📦 PACKAGE - what are some “most likely to…” that can apply to them?
- 🖍️ CRAYON - what advice would you give to them?
- ⚙️ GEAR - what are your ocs thoughts on science & art? which do they give more importance to? how much value do they place on each?
- 🔧 WRENCH - are they good at fixing relationships? or do they tend to avoid doing so?
- ❇️ SPARKLE - what is their most prized possession? what do they value?
- 📏 RULER - is your oc well educated? where did they get their learning from?
- 🚆 TRAIN - what is their answer to the trolley problem?
- 🚲 BICYCLE - can they ride a bike? what do they remember from learning to ride a bicycle?
- 🌩️ LIGHTNING - are they scared of lightning?
- 💧 DROPLET - random angst headcanon
- ❄️ SNOWFLAKE - do people consider them cold? if so, what made them this way?
- 🌪️ TORNADO - what is the biggest change you’ve ever made to them? how have they changed from their original version?
- 🌈 RAINBOW - what advice would they give to their younger self?
- 🔥 FIRE - do they have any self destructive tendencies? what habits do they have that hinder them from becoming their best self?
- ☁️ CLOUD - a soft headcanon
- 🌟 GLOWING STAR - what do they think about when they look at the night sky? is there someone they want to star gaze with?
- 🌠 SHOOTING STAR - if they could make any wish with no repercussions, what wish would they make?
- ☄️ COMET - what do people assume about them? are they right?
- 💓 BEATING HEART - what gets their heart racing?
- 💘 HEART W/ ARROW - what traits do they look for in a relationship? do they believe in love at first sight?
- 💗 GROWING HEART - if they have a crush, is it noticable? what changes when they’re in love?
- ❤️ RED HEART - their love language(s)?
- 💙 BLUE HEART - do they miss their s/o easily? how do they act when their s/o isn’t around?
- 💚 GREEN HEART - what things make your oc feel comforted? hugs, kisses, food?
- 💖 SPARKLING HEART - are they a subtle or a showy lover?
- 💌 LOVE LETTER - do they like love letters? what kind of messages do they leave for their partner?
- 💔 BROKEN HEART - what could their partner do that would absolutely break their heart?
necromancy de elmer
i wish to amend a previous statement. my roots as an artist are not gore and body horror, its sonic the hedgehog
ask game: 9, 15, 23 and 24? (GOD your art is cool. I'm always blown away by it ^^ )
THANK Y OU i am handing you a bottle of my tears (affectionate)
9. Any new art mediums youve tried (or overall styles if you havent tried new mediums)
oh uhhhhhhhhhhhh h hhh hhhhh;hhhhhhhhhhhh i sculpt sometimes
mostly tiny things. a while ago i went mad with power trying to create a subatomic scalemate. i dont really post about it much because i prefer to keep it a low stress activity for when im not feeling the drawing juices?
also i super dont know how to take good photos but it is, like, an area of constant backscenes experimentation
in terms of style, i feel like definitely have zoned in on some “retro” aesthetics this year? mostly the funkiest parts of mid-century-mod, and some 90s radical cheese
15. any upcoming planned drawings
oh god perpetually
mostly its tryling to emulate other art styles through OCs? i want to do a pulpy horror novel cover based around lorna. i want to make a hanna barbera xeno. i want to do an archie comic cover about a stupid love triangle between stupid idiots that keep being stupid. roxanne exists. when its not me trying to emulate an art style, its “i want to introduce this OC concept” and “i havent done [insert OC]’s design justice, time to redraw”
also comics. holy shit comics.
ive got dialog thats been circling me on loop for weeks on end. theres scenes that have me in a vice grip. i have a? a script? thats been slowly building??? i dont really believe in the power of new years resolutions but if im manifesting girbossing empathing anything, its that more comics make it up here
23. Favorite pose you’ve drawn
i dont. know how to draw a skeleton over this
24. what do you like most about your art style
neons go brrr
ok fine ill elaborate. i think ive got a good sense of shape language and color, and have managed to put together some character designs that manage to be pretty versatile yet distinct?
but also, yes, neons go brrr. i have long enjoyed art that is, what some might call, Bad and Wrong. i think digital art gives me a lot of freedom to be Bad and Wrong in the color department, because- like little timmy on the playground with a laser pointer- the more able i am to wield the forces of light and directly beam eye searing colors directly into peoples eyeballs, the more my acidic soul is satisfied*
*to the degree that i also understand people may have medical need to not engage with flashing lights and harsh eyestrain
i could probably talk more about violent and alienating art? i think it ties back into my appreciation of surreal gore and the grotesque, the need to make something that… almost hurts to look at. despite my roots in gore and body horror, my current art style has definitely slid over into something pretty cute and cartooney? which isnt really a bad thing! but it is something i think about sometimes
Oh, wow, I always love hearing about your art! 1, 5, 25, for the ask game?
aww, thank you! :D
1. Favorite drawing from this year
“Don’t come any closer” has specifically taken root in my heart? im pretty happy with it on a technical skill level, but- also? it got this earnest reaction that i wasnt really expecting?
i think there is something in the story it tells, the question of who (the character, or “you”, the viewer) is the one in danger here. a whole room covered in hazards and warning signs, but the person at the center of it all is backed in a corner, looking up at “you” with wide-eyed terror. “Don’t come any closer” becomes both a warning and a plea- it could be threatening, but mostly its just… scared.
it’s one of the pieces who’s tags i scroll through when i need to remind myself why im doing all this.
also i drew a version of it where xe is holding a stuffed animal, and that in itself has become a sentimental in-joke
5. Favorite little detail in a drawing you did
more of this fella. are you tired of this fella? im not tired of this fella
anyway. ive become very fond of this composition? it ALSO tells a story, in case the caption “SPLIT YOURSELF IN HALF AND CALL IT FISSION” didn’t drive it home. taking an impersonal diagram of a neutron firing into an uranium atom, that burst of nuclear energy- and making it explicitly self destructive, more like a bullet through the head than an act of invention.
i should possibly be nice to xeno.
anyway! i might do something more elaborate with the idea, since im still fond of it, and this was somewhat loose and sketchy?
25. Best advice you’ve received this year or something new you learned about art
this one’s the hardest, because im certain ive said and heard smart things about art at some point, but i cannot recall them at this juncture. UH
THINGS I LEARNED IN 2021
1. wanting to draw the same character over and over again is a blessing, not a curse! the process of being possessed by your own art while creating it is a thousand times more rewarding than stifled moderation
2. i have been more inspired by people below my skill level being audacious and having fun than i have been thumbing through artstation portfolios of people who’ve been in practice for 30+ years. the act of creating something that is a little bit too ambitious will actively uplift the people around you, while uplifting your ability as a creator. you are capable of a thousand things that you havent tried yet
3. uh. people like mad science meow meows
artist end of the year ask game
since ive seen these around for other things (idk if theres one like this yet, if there is then oops)
- Favorite drawing from this year
- least favorite drawing from this year
- first drawing from this year
- favorite character you’ve drawn
- favorite little detail in a drawing you did
- longest a drawing has taken to finish
- most popular drawing
- underrated drawing you did
- any new art mediums youve tried (or overall styles if you havent tried new mediums)
- favorite art medium
- artist(s) that influenced/inspired your art style
- fandom youve drawn the most for
- favorite fandom to make fanart of
- how many drawings did you complete this year
- any upcoming planned drawings
- favorite piece of art from someone else (if you have one)
- favorite oc/sona drawing
- any art events youve participated in
- any collabs youve done/would want to do
- what do you think youve improved on the most over the past year
- what do you want to work on the most next
- what are you best at drawing/doing (ex: youre good at lineart, or drawings hands, etc.)
- favorite pose youve drawn
- what do you like most about your art style
- best advice youve recieved this year or something new you learned about art
feel free to add to this! i just havent seen an art related one and thought it was a neat idea :]
ok im putting away my cryptic yet sardonic demeanor, because I’m actually pretty proud of my growth as an artist this year! I’m having trouble articulating in what way it feels like 2021 was a landmark? I stopped being afraid of color, and really went in for elaborate experimental compositions. in a lot of ways, i feel like my October piece is a spiritual successor to my February piece, and its fascinating to look between them and see the ways in which my sense of color and anatomy evolved in such a short span?
here’s to another one [clinks glass]
whenever i power down on art, i just kinda. default to making elaborate clothing designs until my soul’s rejuvenated
hey! i got a notification for an ask, but it’s not showing in my askbox. apologies if you sent something but i don’t reply!
toyhou.se profiles have been kinda slow going- im considering taking like…… suggestions on who to focus on next?
what kind of haunting can i bring you today?