one of the most important things i’ve learned in therapy is that when you’ve experienced prolonged trauma in your childhood, pleasure feels uncomfortable. like, not that you don’t feel it, but that when you do feel it there’s an impulse to make it stop, because it’s extremely unfamiliar. and pleasure can mean many things, as simple as feeling cozy, and as complex as feeling loved. the neural pathways for feeling good have not had a chance to develop, and the neural pathways for feeling bad are quite practiced. feeling good, too, takes conscious practice.
This hit me, and I wish I could reblog this a thousand times more.
I. Analyzing the Song’s Name
everything’s so sexualized nowadays, even a short phrase like “get it” can be seductive. however, this is exactly what the ladies of pristin v are trying to be towards their people of interest. this is a sharp contrast to the music they make with the rest of their members; so out of all nine pristin members, nayoung, roa, eunwoo, rena, and kyulkyung were chosen to be the villains & main black widows of the group.
(the “v” in pristin v stands for villain, by the way.)
II. Evaluating the Lyrics and Choreo
the villain and black widow references jump out in this one, and the ladies of pristin v live up to their assigned personas, which were:
important lines (lyric translation on genius):
- “however you want, get it, get it”
- “don’t hesitate”
- “don’t be shy”
- “i’ll shake up your heart / so it’ll seep out and explode”
- “i’ll make you into a person you’ve never imagined being”
- “who likes innocent characters? / let’s fill the night with breathtaking moments / you think you can just peacefully sleep in this room?”
- “light a fire in your heart”
- “i wanna secretly whisper to you and ruin you”
- “… get it, hit it, kill it”
- “fun, isn’t it? like a villain / … / sick of typical voices”
- “i don’t need sugar love”
- “nice characters will never know / a night that explodes with ecstasy / eyes that shine more honestly than darkness”
- “the crazier you get, you’re so cool”
- “it’s slightly dangerous, … / but it’s so fun / a story that’ll make your palms sweaty”
- the handgun gestures during the line “get it, hit it, kill it”
- hip movements and the way they walk = seductresses
- the rope-pulling gestures = luring their people of interest to them
- the thrusts during the line “all of this, however you want it, hit it” (e.g. 2:01-2:03 of the music video)
- the quick hand gestures they make during the chorus (e.g. 1:11-1:17 of the dance practice video is a good place to look)
III. Notable Symbols in the Video
1. the tennis court: reminded me so much of the song “tennis court” by lorde. but instead of using it as a place to rebel against aristocrats, the ladies of pristin v use it to rebel against the good girl persona and persuade their people of interest to “come to the dark side.”
2. the tennis ball: kyulkyung bounces it against the mirror around the 0:36-0:38 mark in the music video. in this case, it represents her person of interest’s conflicting feelings towards her and the villainous lifestyle. it can also resemble knocking on a door; besides, she isn’t the type of person that’ll “wait for your answer.”
3. mirrors: you look at them to see if your clothes and shoes match, but in figurative cases, people look at them when they’re losing their innocence.
4. the color blue: represents stability, trust, loyalty, heaven, healing, and tranquility, all of which pristin v promise to provide.
5. the color red: represents passion, desire, love, courage, danger, and eroticism. choosing to be the bad guy is dangerous and takes a lot of courage to do. the idea of villains turning others into villains, however, takes a lot of desire, passion, and love on top of everything else.
6. the color yellow: represents joy and happiness, and is an attention-getter. look how happy the members are! being a villain must be so fun. (side note: this reminds me so much of the phrase, “if it’s not dangerous, it’s not fun.”)
7. fire: since it’s burning a house, don’t you think pristin v’s characters are “homewreckers” in this case? what if their people of interest already have significant others, or even children to take care of? or maybe, they might’ve simply driven by the house to set it ablaze, with no clear motive in sight.
8. the lamps and chandelier: reinforce the idea of finding the light in the dark side.
IV: Putting Everything Together
the ladies of pristin v are very passionate about the villainous lifestyle, so much that they’re willing to make other people bad guys. conversions are bound to happen though - they make their lives look so fun and rewarding.
(Side Note: i had plans to analyze “get it” long before their disbandment, but unfortunately, university and other obligations got in the way. it’s unfortunate that pledis wasn’t able to see their full potential. regardless of this, i hope the girls do well in everything they do in the near future.)
check out the dance practice:
and the music video itself:
I got spekd as libertarian capitalist (73, -82) by spekr the political spectrum quiz.
I support light restrictions on both economic and cultural freedom. I oppose increased economic regulations and the abolition of the state.
Get spekd at spekr.org.
We’ve had this discussion on my blog before and a lot of people have determined that the xxx stands for a brand of something that Ten didn’t want to say or cake or something like that
These are all my opinions. I may edit them later, idk. It depends on my personal development.
- it’s not the end of the world if your fave(s) don’t win that award.
- obsessing over youtube views and streams is stupid.
- some kpop fans are truly and unfortunately, t o x i c. they ruin the fun for everyone (mostly the nice fans).
- there’s nothing wrong with wearing kpop merch, or admitting that you like the music. i like the music too, obviously. shit. life’s too short to give a fuck.
- kpop has the ability to be sexist, racist, and overall discriminatory, just like any other music genre. (i’ll elaborate on this below.)
- i genuinely think there are times when your faves don’t feel like doing fanservice, and it shows. try not to push them around too much, okay? it’s alright if they just smile and wave at you.
- invading an idol’s privacy is the trashiest thing you could do to them.
- what if an idol has a crush on another member of his or her group, huh? it can happen, but it does not always mean that feelings get reciprocated.
- kpop fans who tell other people (fans and non-fans alike) to kill themselves because they don’t like X group or even the entire genre of kpop need that cancel card pulled on them asap.
- shipping is cute, as long as the people in question know each other, and are friendly towards each other. otherwise, you’re really pushing it.
- i have no doubt that your faves have fucked before. not all of them, of course. maybe a good handful or two. so let them have fun, and let them explore. this is a learning process - you need to know this.
- i’m all for dating bans, as long as they last during training and the first 2-3 years after debuting. idols are usually pretty young when they debut; that means they’re a little impulsive and will make their significant others their biggest priority. you don’t want anyone retiring for their lovey dovey, now…
- stop fantasizing about marrying your oppa, unnie, etc. it’s not gonna happen, and they probably don’t want it to happen. got it?
- no one is obligated to support their faves all the time. it’s unrealistic, and it’s emotionally draining. so take care of yourself, okay? you come first.
- no one is obligated to forgive an idol for stupid shit that they did.
- whitewashing is gross. but on the other hand, it’s also wrong to re-edit a picture and give an idol a “natural skin tone” that isn’t theirs. some people are just naturally pale.
- take everything kpop companies say with a grain of salt.
- kpop x western collabs are dope. however, kpop x kpop collabs would be even more dope. :-)
- stop putting fancams on everything y’all post. you know who you are. they’re cool and all, but they get annoying after a while.
- stylists need to stop putting ethnic hairstyles on idols. it’s getting out of control.
- not every song that has choreo needs it.
- unless if sm is going to debut new dreamies anytime soon, nct dream should not be a fixed unit.
- i really wish exo, ot21 nct, etc. were given the same hype as superm.
- bts deserve all their love and support. however, they can’t just win every award they’re nominated for - everyone else will become extremely bitter.
- yg ent. needs to stop being sexist bitches and give blackpink the opportunities they deserve.
- as culture-vulturey 2ne1 was, they didn’t deserve to be disbanded like that. also, they left behind a huge legacy.
- i’m getting real tired of stray kids’ adlibs. the husky and raspy shit needs to go - it doesn’t fit with the heavenly vocals. (or is that part of their concept? either way, i’m not a fan of it.)
- i actually love how clc experiments with different types of concepts. it stirs the pot, and it makes their evolution as musicians and idols very exciting.
- “i don’t like kpop because of the shitty industry”
a valid point. however, you need to know that every industry is shitty. take a look at the modeling industry, the western music industry, or even the fashion industry to name a few. beating people to the bone without paying them a decent salary. we’re all fucked here - the only one winning are the rich and/or privileged.
- “i don’t like kpop because the guys all look like girls, and the girls don’t have ass or boobs.”
asians are very feminine-looking, period. smooth skin, small eyes, tiny noses… those are traditionally feminine characteristics! also, it’s 2019. being a masculine guy isn’t the only way to be a guy. on the other hand, body shaming ain’t it. it’s in this country’s society that causes female idols to look like the way they are. it’s not like the west - asia doesn’t focus on curves or muscles - they just don’t want you to be fat.
- “i don’t like kpop because of the fans.”
i totally get you. some fans suck. but there are also fans that will change your perspective completely (in a good way). you just gotta dig beneath the surface, and they’ll be there.
- “i don’t like kpop because they’re racist.”
but so is everyone else. stop applying a bullshit double standard just because they’re not from the west.
behold, the red solo cup.
a cup most famous for holding the most potent concoctions: beer, lean, whiskey, mixed drinks, or even chasers… all for a good night of fun, partying, and confronting inner demons.
the apple of a partygoer’s eye, the nonliving seducer of the show. every time people look at it, they think, “bullseye, this is everything i’ve been looking for.”
this is why things that hit your brain the fastest are the most addicting: alcohol, pain, fear, and near-death experiences. the brain likes being put in danger, and people love being the center of attention. why do you think so many people dream of being famous or going viral? if you’re the center of attention, you feel more loved, even if the crowd doesn’t reciprocate those feelings. but fuck the crowd, right? you’re having your moment, and that’s all that matters.
this is why everyone likes talking about their drunk stories, and the times they’ve gotten shitfaced. it’s fun laughing at people’s pain, and it definitely stirs the pot at the dinner table.
i grew up in the united states, and in a psychology class i took in high school, i was shown pictures like these:
behold, the trolley problem.
one variation of it involves pulling a lever to either kill one or five, and another involves pushing a fat man off a bridge to save all the people already on the railroad. (or something like that, i’m not sure)
to my knowledge, many more people feel more comfortable pulling the lever than pushing the fat man.
i think i know why that is: people don’t like taking responsibility for shit. no matter if it’s good or bad, people love to stand by and see others suffer. why do you think the bystander effect exists? why do you think people love going anon and bashing others online while they’re at it? they don’t like direct confrontation, and this doesn’t always have to do with the rise of modern technology. this trait has existed in humans since forever.
i think i know why they’re called kpop idols.
generally speaking, idols are things that are meant to be worshipped, whether they be things or actual people. therefore, kpop idols must do everything they can to be worthy of this, whether it be the fanservice or the flying hearts. they’ve got fantasies to fulfill.
also, i think i know why korean society is obsessed with finding fantasies to indulge themselves in. forgive me if i end up a little ignorant, but this is something i want to get out of my chest.
their society is fucked up in so many ways. western societies are fucked up too, but asian societies are definitely more perfectionist and cringe at nearly every imperfection. the mistake threshold over there is very low, and you know what that results in? i’m not sure if i wanna even answer that question.
therefore, i truly believe that kpop idols are built be accepting of their fans (no matter how crazy they get), and also built to fit the molds their society made for them. it’s a bit confusing and contradictory, but it’s been like this for a long time.
i hate applying for jobs because the employers are always like: do you enjoy working in a stressful environment???? do you strive for unobtainable standards of perfection???? are you good at dealing with people that make you feel extremely uncomfortable??? do you mind losing real hours of your life in order to make minimum wage?? are you a fan of capitalism??? do you love selling your soul just so you can afford to live???
Or the best question of all:
What experience do you have?
MOON SIGNS AND THIER “TYPE”
Aries moon - Atrracted to libra types, as that is 7 signs away from them. This makes them want someone who is balanced, reliable, loving, and feminine.
Taurus Moon - Attracted to Scorpio types. They want someone intense, loving, and lively. They want someone who’s gonna change things— make it interesting.
Gemini Moon - Attracted to sagittarius￼ types. Definitely one of the more sapiosexual moons, they want someone who will expand their mind. Intelligence is attractive to them.
Cancer Moon - Atrracted to Capricorn types. They want something to lean on, and Capricorn types bring them a sense of stability. They may also like someone physically wealthy.
Leo Moon - Atrracted to Aquarius types. They want someone new, unconventional, or someone who is social and popular.
Virgo Moon - Atrracted to pisces types. They enjoy someone feminine and dreamy- they wanna feel like they are in a new world in love. ￼
Libra Moon - Atrracted to Aries types. They want someone who is independent, oftentimes they also want someone physically large and athletic. This makes them feel ‘protected’- safer form the outside the world.
Scorpio Moon - Atrracted to Taurus types. It’s no secret that moon in Scorpio cuases a lack of emotional stability, the moon is in fall here! So they want someone consistent and fixed— to ground them.
Sagittarius Moon - Atrracted to Gemnini types. They want someone who will bring them into a more social and dynamic world, someone social and intelligent.
Capricorn Moon - Atrracted to Cancer types. They want someone who will help them open up, as they have a lot of issues achiving that. They want someone who is emotionally healing for them.
Aquarius Moon - Atrracted to Leo types. They want someone energetic, lively, and fun! Aquarius moons have a hard time doing this, and someone who helps them live thier life to the fullest is very appealing to them.
Pisces Moon- Atrracted to Virgo types. They want someone who’s sophisticated, dynamic, and stable. They don’t see this in themselves, so someone like that is very attractive. ￼
i’mma divide this into soooo many subtopics because i got so much to say.
(you may have seen it on a blog called @/ikbread - don’t worry, that’s my other blog [that i don’t post original posts on])
- jopping: a bop. epic, iconic, explosive chorus.
things i liked a lot? mark’s rap on the second verse (”opinionated but i stay spitting straight facts”), ten’s tiny rap (”put it all on like a costume”), and baekhyun’s high note. yes. those are the major highlights of the song.
- i can’t stand the rain: thumbs up. nothing extremely memorable - amazing nevertheless.
- 2 fast: nah. too generic-sounding for me. sorry.
- super car: the instrumental. that’s it - the number one highlight of the song. but that doesn’t mean i don’t like the verses - i love those too. it’s just that the beats… they just pulled me in!
- no manners: (see “i can’t stand the rain”)
i don’t understand why and how sm thought that this was a good idea. sure, i may love the songs and the members dearly. but the idea of getting members from well-established groups to debut again as the “avengers of kpop…” like whaaat??? why couldn’t sm just keep pushing nct and red velvet all over the markets? wasn’t that the original plan for the former (nct) anyway? to spread kpop around the world?
i also feel like superm was forced into the u.s. market and forced to happen in general. barely anyone asked for this - not even me. @ all the people saying “what if the members wanted this to happen???” sorry - i don’t believe it. maybe not yet.
ten and lucas had the shittier end of the stick when it came to lines. but this album alone is not a reason to pull the xenophobia card or the “life is unfair” card. they’re not just dealing with mark and taeyong - they’re also dealing with kai, baekhyun, and taemin, their seniors. because of the unspoken rules of respecting elders, i’m not surprised that the majority of the lines went to them; instead, i believe it’s what they deserve.
so will they get fairer line distribution in the future? let’s see. sometimes, sm fucks up, and sometimes, they don’t.
Lucas & Ten Being Shy Around Their Seniors
speaking of lucas and ten, it’s also their first time out of china after a while. they have to readapt to korean banter, learn how to work with their seniors, and relearn how to work with their korean-speaking members. of course they’re gonna be shy. especially since they’re celebrities/kpop/cpop idols, it’s not worth making themselves feel at home during the first couple of promotions.
SuperM on Ellen on 10/9 (or 9/10 for all y’all international bloggers)
if ellen mentions bts or any other kpop group when talking to the members, it’s on site. i don’t make the rules around here. not every kpop group is bts, and it’s extremely disrespectful for both them and superm to be making comparisons.
@ people saying this is racist: every member of every boy band regardless of race look exactly the same
boy bands is the same
yeah okay thats fair
hi! I’m korean and this is still racist. You know why it’s not racist to say that about a white boy band? Because “you all look the same haha” hasn’t been used as a racist insult against white people as part of a systematic model of oppression, but it has been for asians!
it doesn’t matter if “all boy bands look the same” because when you’re saying that about specifically asian men, you’re still saying…”you all look the same” towards a group of asian men.
“The Interchangeable Asian” is a common stereotype still present and damaging today. Here’s an article that discusses the impact on Asians (mainly Asian Americans), where the author says that this view means “we were seen as lacking individuality, and by extension, humanity”. We have been speaking about how these kinds of comments have been hurting us for a while now. It’s still racist and people need to stop brushing off our issues.
The “all boy bands look the same” is a weak backtrack from the original “joke”, which no doubt has roots in anti-Asian racism. There’s been other racist commentary on kpop where non-Asians have said “you have a kpop profile picture, so you’re not one to talk” to actual Asian people using their own faces for their accounts. It’s one thing to criticise people who fetishize Asians and our appearances/cultures, but it’s another to reinforce existing prejudices against Asians themselves.
I’m a kpop fan myself, and when you’re not familiar with a certain group, you’re definitely gonna get some members confused. Yes, they’ll kind of look the same at first, but once you get to know the group, you’ll start seeing all their unique features.
So no, no two group members look exactly alike, and it’s incredibly racist and discriminatory to think so.
“I get a little bit tired of Democrats afraid of big ideas.”
My biggest take away from the debate. Call them out Bernie!!
I might not support Bernie, but I’m on board with this. Too many Dems (among other politicians) are scared to go out of their comfort zone.
There is a reason why families make the trek from their home country to the U.S.. it’s bound to be dangerous. What isn’t?
“I don’t know why anyone runs for President of the United States just to talk about what we can’t do and what we shouldn’t fight for.” Like I said, senator Warren came to fight. Delaney didn’t stand a chance.
Good point. However, if Warren WERE to win, would she keep her promises? Do y’all think she’s gonna actually fight for us? Asking for myself…
winwin watches the regular video recording after performing it on jimmy kimmel. he waits excitedly for his only part, only for the cameraman to zoom out and focus on taeyong instead. his head falls down to the ground as he tries to hold in his tears.
When you’re in the motherland, but the mother tongue isn’t your first language, you ain’t shit to anyone over there. Instead of being a wonderful human being who just needs to improve their language skills, you’re more of a liability to them, and you’re also someone that makes everyone’s noses bleed (look up the expression “nosebleed”).
Am I the only one who’s not AT ALL bothered by idols wearing braids????
Why is everyone so quick to jump on Bang Chan, Lisa & Joy
When no one got on Win Win, Kai & Ukwon?
Or Dawon, Mingi or Changmin?
Like… as a black Kpop fan, I find it interesting that they would do this. I don’t find it offensive. They aren’t trying to make fun or poke fun at the culture. It’s literally just hair. Why does this need to turn into something big when there are other problems to be dealt with. Why waste time on something like this? No one said anything about Justin Timberlake when he did it? Sooooooo just because they’re idols means something different? That doesn’t make sense. I had 3 more photos but I can only use 10 but there’s 9 so you know the struggle.
I’d say to play it safe and don’t give any non-Black people any of these hairstyles. 🤷🏻♀️