Château de la Monge
La Ferté-Bernard (Sarthe) - Saint-Anthoine
Château de Serville
Château de Mervilly,
La Vespière, Calvados, France
Saint-Estèphe - Château La Salle de Pez
Famous for its wines and vineyard.
The Domain of Pez, created in the 15th century, is, along with Calon, the oldest in Saint-Estèphe. In 1452, squire Jean de Briscos ruled the estate; in 1526 the “noble man” Ducos was master, followed by Jean de Pontac in 1585.
The Pontac family, who likewise created Haut-Brion, gave Pez its vineyards. The property remained in the hands of descendants -the Marquis d'Aulède and Count de Fumel, Commander of the Province of Guyenne- until the French Revolution. Sold as a property of the state, the domain belonged to the Tarteiron, Balguerie, Lawton, du Vivier, Bernard, and Dousson families in succession. It was purchased in June 1995 by Champagne Louis Roederer.
Château de Mormoulins
Chaudon, Eure-et-Loir, France
10th-century castle, rebuilt from ruins around 1820.
Centre de vacances of the town of Saint-Ouen these days
Houville-la-Branche, Eure-et-Loir, France
17th-century castle, renovated in the 1950′s-60′s.
Private property these days
Château de La Gaudinière
La Ville-aux-Clercs, Loir-et-Cher, France
Neo-Renaissance castle built in the mid-XIXth century. Acquired by an couple from New York in 1923 for hosting Armenian orphans. Burned down in 1934, never rebuilt.
Château de Fermaincourt
Fermaincourt, Eure-et-Loir, France
ARLOD - Chateau antique de Mussel
The castle was built in 1320 around a tower that dates back to 1250. It gained its present form in 1847.
It was used for many purposes, among others as a blacksmith, a stable (the horses were studded right in the Main Hall), but also as a private Library of over 40.000 books.
Private property these days, open for artists during the week-ends
Château de Bouville
Medieval castle, enlarged nd gained its current form in 1830
Château de Fortoiseau - Villiers-en-Bière
Not much information available, probably a long history since some important personnels are mentioned as born in the castle in the XVIIth century.
It was destroyed in 1944 by the occupying Germans, set on fire.
Château de Courtalain
Arrou, Eure-et-Loir, France
BUilt in 1483 by Guillaume d’Avaugour. Acquired by the Montmorency family through marriage, in the 17th century, they kept it for 9 generations, then it entered the possession of the Gontaut Biron family, current owners of the estate.
3 meteorites fell in the park in the 9th-century.
Some recent photos on the website of the castle: link
Château des Ducs d'Epernonest
Built for Jean-Louis de Nogaret de la Valette (1554-1642), part of the fortified town was erased in order to gain place for the castle. Late-Renaissance style using some elements of the XVIIth century classicism.
Third of the castle demolished in the XVIIIth century and the building stones sold. Abandoned and looted during the French Revolution, then served as the first female prison of France in the XIXth century, as well as a psychiatric ward before a large fire in 1928. Prison/psych shut down in 1952 after a double suicide.
Château de Mythème
Martigne-sur-Mayenne, Mayenne, France
Castle built in the mid-19th century for the Jourdan family. Private property these days, hosting corporate, cultural events and serves as a hotel as well.
Château du Fresne
Built around 1786.
The current owner is Anne-Aymone Sauvage de Brantes, wife of Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (President of France 1874-81) - they had their marriage in the Chapelle of the castle.
Castelmoron - Château Solar
Probably early XIIIth century, property of the Castelmoron family. Purchased by Félix Solar, journalist and businessman, in 1840. He completely transformed an rebuilt it in mauresque style - European imitation of Moorish architecture.
Purchased by he municipality in 1901, hosting the town hall even these days.
Château du Francport (or des Bonshommes since 2014)
Choisy-au-Bac, Oise, France
Built in the mid-eighteenth century by the Marquis de L’Aigle, replacing a former 17th century Chateau and standing on the original site of an eleventh century monastery. It is famed for being Napoleon III’s favourite hunting lodge.
The Marquis family owned the Chateau until the 1990’s when it was purchased by the London & Paris properties. The Chateau was converted into a 74-bedroom luxury hotel in the late 1990’s.
In 1918 it was erroneously reported in national papers that the armistice was signed in the great hall of the Chateau, but we know now this was signed in a railway carriage only metres down the road from the Chateau.
In WW2 just before the German occupation the Marquis family hid all the Chateau’s valuables in a secret room in the library. During the war under German occupation the Chateau was Luftwaffe Headquarters, then RAF Headquarters and once the Chateau was returned to its rightful owner after the war, the valuables hadn’t been discovered.
Le Petit Château Féodal
Sassenage, Isère, France
It had belonged to the Château de Beaurevoir, a Castle built over the ruins of an ancien 13-th century fortification. The builder of Beaurevoir, A. Terray built this small, petit Castle a few years later, but it was destroyed during an exposion around 1914.
Yerres - Château de la Grange du Milieu
Built in 1617, the same family owned it from the late XVIIIth century until 1990.
In 2000, the Savry Group purchased the estate and transformed it into a prestige hotel: Château du Maréchal de Saxe
Château de Flers
Castle built in the early sixteenth century by Nicolas Grosparmy, enlarged in the XVIIth the the XVIIIth century.
Damaged during the Vendée troubles, the castle was bought in 1806 by a businessman who sold it in 1822 to Antoine Schnetz, a notary from Paris, who soon became mayor of the city. Thanks to him, part of the park is open to the public and other urbanized lands. In 1901, the town became the owner of the site, functioning as a Museum even these days.
Laroque-en-Agenais (or Laroque-Timbaut today) - Remains of the medieval castle
First mentioned in the XIIth century, practictly nothing remains of it. Destroyed a long time before the French Revolution by the fault of the last lord of Laroque, Raffin d’Hauterive. The common people did the dectrction as revenge.
The donjon had been used as a water reserve by the end of the XIXth and early XXth centry.
Château de Marseille-en-Beauvaisis
Marseille-en-Beauvaisis, Oise, France
Built in 1680, destroyed and erased in 1980.
Abbaye de Saint-Benoît-en-Woëvre
Fondation in 1128. In 1740, Jacques-François de Collenel built a new, grandiose monastery rather reminding of a castle than a monastery. Abandoned by the monks after the Revolution, ownership was quite problematic and debated after it was sold as “bien national”.
During the battle of Saint-Mihiel, occupied by the Germans and used as a command post and hospital. Taken by the allies, occupied by the US Infantry until the Germans bombed it in 1918.
Completely destroyed, only the facade remains