When I began to write, it was out of fear. I thought I might forget, or pretend to forget, or pretend to pretend, or grow up.
—Miranda July, “No one belongs here more than you.“—
I started to dread getting in the car. I knew revving the engine meant turning on the radio, and turning on the radio meant listening to Dani or Josh or Jessica tell the story of their Orlando, their loss. I listened to mothers remember how it happened, how they got a phone call about a man with a gun, how the next call was from a handicapped stall in the bathroom, where their children lay like sardines, shot and praying not to bleed to death. I listened and I wept and could barely pull myself through the needle of traffic to thread my way home. Being anywhere outside my apartment was frightening. The world, more than ever before, seemed like it had gone completely insane. And then there was the silence.
Though most of my Facebook feed was flooded with messages of LGBTQ solidarity, there were extraordinarily loud pockets of silence.
Read more and get the recipe here.
Healthy French Toast
- 3-4 slices of good quality wholegrain or gluten-free bread
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (ground into a fine meal if you want them undetectable)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Fresh berries, banana (optional)
- Chopped nuts, seeds or cacao nibs
- Combine all ingredients except the bread and maple syrup in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes for the chia seeds to activate for 10 minutes.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 30 seconds each side.
- Add coconut oil to a pan on medium-high heat until melted. Place each slice of bread in the pan and cook, until golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook the other side until brown as well – 3-4 minutes.
- Divide onto two plates and top with fresh fruit, maple syrup and any other additional toppings – get creative!
Best friends, wine & everything fine🍷
—————————————————-#winecountry #winetasting #sandiego #cordianowinery #wine #california #winery #socal #summer #californiawine #thecalifornians #hashbrownnofilter (at Cordiano Winery)