it’s okay to mourn the person you could have been. it’s okay to be angry or resentful at that lost potential. it’s okay to be sad about it too. but i want you to know that there are so many parts of you, the you that exists right now, that are beautiful and lovely and meaningful. just because your past is lost doesn’t mean your future has to be too.
Since heatwave season seems to be upon us again, this is just a reminder to international Tumblr that most European houses and some public spaces do not have air conditioning and are insulated to trap the heat against our cold winters, meaning that there is nowhere to escape hot weather and temperatures you may find laughably cool can be lethal over here.
Every year, people die in those 30-40C European heatwaves, and every year, non-Euro Tumblr treats this tragedy like a joke.
Please let’s stop doing that.
Nearly a week later, I can offer a handy translation guide for comments on this post!
Our homeless/elderly/disabled/young children do better than you: I don’t think of those groups as people, so I automatically parsed the word ‘people’ in the original post as ‘healthy able-bodied young adults’ and consequently I have misunderstood the problem
I live/d in a desert: I have no idea what European summers are like and I’m talking out of my ass
Just drink water: I think Europeans are stupid
Just buy a fan/a dehumidifier/a swamp cooler: I think Europeans are stupid and I’m unaware that most people have to spend a majority of their time outside their homes/cannot control their environment 24/7
Just install air conditioning:
- I am a child with no concept of how much aircon costs to install and run
- I am an adult, but I have no concept of how rarely aircon is needed in northern Europe
- I am an adult, but I have no concept of how difficult-bordering-on-impossible aircon is to install in 100-year-old buildings
Get a window air conditioner: I think putting a gigantic metal heat sink through your double glazing is a great idea and it absolutely won’t freeze your house in winter
Why doesn’t your government do something: Due to misplaced idealism, I think your governments are competent and care for their people
We’re laughing at you complaining about the heat, not at the deaths: I don’t understand cause and effect
It’s not that bad, grow up:
- I don’t know what ‘acclimatisation’ means
- I have never been without air conditioning for more than the five minutes it takes me to get from house to car or car to destination
- I don’t think people should be able to complain about their own lives on their own blogs to their own friends
Europe laughs at us all the time so we should be able to do the same:
- I didn’t notice that Charamei didn’t use the word ‘America’ once in the original post
- I am an insecure, petty and spiteful individual
Any of the above: I want you to prove to me that these deaths were ‘legitimate’ in order to earn my sympathy, otherwise I’m going to assume that those people deserved to die