Stow On the Wold, Cotswolds by @lensereflection
St Edward’s Church is a medieval-built Church of England parish church, serving Stow-on-the-Wold ,Gloucestershire.
The Uig or Lewis Chessmen were found in 1831 in a stone cist in the shifting dunes of Uig Bay at Ardroil, by Malcolm “Sprot” Macleod of the village of Pennydonald.
The pieces are elaborately carved in walrus tusk and stand between 3.5cm and 10.2cm high. We know of 78 pieces, comprising eight kings, eight queens, sixteen bishops, fifteen knights, twelve warders and nineteen pawns, suggesting there were eight sets. All wear a glum expression and four of the warders are seen biting the tops of their shields. These are berserkers, the fierce Viking warriors who worked themselves into a frenzy before heading into battle without armour.