Thanks! Look at this Dweller in a sweater!
This started as a lyricstuck/comic project right after I’d beaten the wonderful game Wandersong, but I never ended up finishing it. I figured, why not share what I did finish? Also, beneath the cut is the sketches for the rest of the panels I didn’t get to painting, I hope you enjoy~
a form for every occasion!
I know discourse is the word of choice in fandom nowadays but I kind of wish we would have stuck with “fandom wank” because it carries the implication that the anger involved culminated into effectively nothing and that the act was wholeheartedly masturbatory in nature rather than for any greater cause.
I saw this post about an hour after I saw a post that said, essentially, “There should be a word for that thing where [exactly describes ‘squeeing’].”
I feel like the time has come to produce something like this:
Squee: The noise you make when something is so good that all you can really do is squeak or squeal. A high pitched sound of delight, often accomanied by hugging yourself or others.
Squick: A fic/art/concept/topic that is repellent to you, so you reject association with it and instead retreat to your personal comfortable spaces- all the while remembering that someone else’s comfort is not your own.
YKINMKATO: Also called “kink tomato.” Abbreviation meaning “your kink is not my kink, and that’s okay.” Used to explain why you are rejecting art or fic brought to you by someone else. A solid mantra to recall instead of sending flames in people’s comments
Flames: The comment equivalent of anon hate.
AMV: “animated music video” or “anime music video.” Often, this is stylized to fit a specific fandom, such as a “PMV” (pony music video) in my little pony. May also be referred to as a lyricstuck.
Filk: Combination of the words “film” and “folk,” this is a music genre, to which “fan songs” and “fan parody covers” belong. If you don’t really understand what this means, take a quick listen to American Pie, then compare Weird Al Yankovic’s Saga Begins
BNF: Big name fan. You know that one person who is just so fuckign popular in your fandom? Their art is always on your dash, everyone knows their fics? Being spoken to directly by them is basically being noticed by everyone ever’s senpai? That’s what these people are called.
DL:DR; Not unliked the teal deer (tl;dr, or “too long, didn’t read”), DLDR means “don’t like? Don’t read!” It’s a reminder that you are under no obligation, ever, to expose yourself to uncomfortable (or, squicky), or potentially harmful (or, triggering), material. Not ever. If you don’t actively like something? It’s not worth your time. Skip it.
Gen: or “genfic” “genart” etc. Fan works which contain no or very little romantic content. Often these are styled after the canon material, and may be called “episodic” ro “slice of life” in addition.
Lemon: Work containing strong pornographic elements
Lime, or Citrus: Work containing mild or implicit pornographic elements
Sockpuppeting: The surprisingly common scenario of someone making a bunch of fake accounts/sideblogs to send themselves reviews or hate, to try to increase views or drama surrounding a work. The accounts they make are called Sockpuppets.
WAFF: Warm and fluffy feelings. A genre of fic that exists just to be therapeutically sweet. Nowadays, usually just called “fluffy.”
Schmoop: Take WAFF and somehow make it even more syrupy. You’ll know it when you see it.
Whump: Imagine if you will, a hurt-comfort fic. The comfort might be considered WAFF. The hurt? That’s the whump.
Wapanese: When white autors pepper their anime fanfic with random, tonally inappropriate japanese words.
Anthropomorfic: Nowadays we just call these “humanstuck” or “humanized AU.”
Wank: Wildly disproportionate drama that crops up because someone wrote/drew/did something that someone else didn’t like. Seriously, I cannot begin to express the fiascos that have come about from all this. Just… Just go look at this.
Plot bunny: Story ideas that you probably won’t ever actually deal with, but that multiply entirely out of control, creating huge worlds in your head that you’re probably not going to write. But hey! You might! And until then they make great sideblogs/askblogs/tumblr posts.
Casefic: Fanfics that try to create an episode-like feel for procedural and crime dramas, moster of the week shows, etc.
Jossed: When popular fan theories and fanon are addressed in the canon of a series, and whoops, turns out we were all very, very wrong.
Kripked: When popular fan theories and fanon are addressed in the canon of a show and, hot damn, we fucking called it.
Secret Masters: The people who run the websites/ communities/etc that we all do our fanning on. Less relevant now that we have things like tumblr, but when everyone had to run their own archival and social sites for each fandom, it was more important to pay our respects to the strange and powerful beings that brought us all together and gave us our fannish homes. Think the staff of AO3, for example.
Bashing: When a writer purposefully writes a specific character as a horrible, horrible person so that they can throw them out of the storyline, usually to allow their OTP to get together without trouble. Distinct from fridging in that it doesn’t require the character to die, but rather to be such a screaming harpy that they get rightfully removed from the main characters’ lives for being an abusive hell beast. Generally, a type of character hate. Be wary of people who bash women, queer people, and POC with consistency: they are not safe to be around.
‘Squick’ also has an alternate horrible meaning for Harry Potter fans who were in fandom a while back. Dear god.
Drabble: A fic that is EXACTLY 100 words. Often used as a creative exercise in telling a story in a very small constraint.
Ficlet: Fic that clocks in somewhere between 100 to 2.5K words.
Crossover: A piece of media in which two or more source materials are treated as the same universe. Characters from Fandom A can meet characters from Fandom B. (The Doctor Goes To Hogwarts And Meet Harry Potter!)
Fusion: A fusion takes the characters of one source material and *surplants* them into another universe entirely. Characters from Fandom A cannot meet characters from Fandom B. (Dave Strider is part of an Inception team!)
TPTB: The Powers That Be. Almost always redundantly referred to as “the TPTB.” A collective term for showrunners, actors, producers, writers, et al, anyone who is part of the team that creates the source material.
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary. A shorthand way of saying “this is how I see it/have experienced it though I realize others might have a different perspective.”
Tinhatting: Often used in RPF fandoms, the situation where some fans are convinced two celebrities are in a relationship but its being kept a secret.
Useful beyond all reason. I’ve learnt so much!!
how long has drabble meant exactly 100 words i always used it to describe anything super short
That was it’s original form, the limerick of prose.
I had way too much time on my hands and ended up with more headcanons about Wandersong. Hope you enjoy!
· They love telling stories to people; they’re quite the chatterbox. Once someone gets them started they won’t stop until they’re either finished or forced to stop.
· Kiwi hates holding anything that could be considered a weapon; this includes things like steak knives, rolling pins, and very large metal utensils to Miriam’s exasperation.
· Kiwi loves flowers and occasionally dabbles in bouquet making and in gardening with Grandma Saphy and Miriam. They find the bouquet making calming and the gardening is a fun challenge; but they often have an issue dealing with the bugs because they don’t want to hurt them (if Miriam didn’t help their vegetable portion of the garden would have been overtaken by bugs a long time ago).
· When they get sick they try to hide that they’re sick until they can no longer function and pass out. Miriam has learned what the signs of Kiwi getting sick are and forces them to rest once she notices one.
· When there’s an issue with an animal, like if they’re causing trouble, Kiwi is sometimes called to help deal with it. They’re basically a Disney Princess when it comes to animals so if the issue isn’t a medical one they can usually help.
· Kiwi tries to learn other musical magic spells. It doesn’t go well.
So I just finished Wandersong a few days ago and I have a lot of headcanons about the Bard. I hope you enjoy them!
· The Bard sometimes falls into singing in the spirits language. Sometimes they sing and people swear you can hear an entire chorus singing with them. The Bard never notices, and no one’s sure how to tell them.
· Thanks to the Princess, their body is more susceptible to possession. Miriam had to cast a spell to prevent cruel spirits from entering after one tried to take over their body.
· Occasionally people will come to them asking them to help them communicate with their dead loved ones in exchange for food or items. They never accept the payments, they do it for free because love helping people. The people who ask this favor of them instead give it to Miriam. Its common knowledge that the witch is closer to the Bard than anyone else, she’ll make sure the Bard gets it.
· On the rare occasion that the Bard becomes angry, their voice rings with enough power to move mountains. They hide away when their upset because of this, they wouldn’t want someone to get hurt because of them.
· They sometimes sing the Earthsong when they’re alone. It makes the Bard feel less lonely, as if the people who taught them the song are still here.
· They sing with the band from Delphi as often as they can. They love being on the stage, singing right next to their friends for the people who come from close or far away to see them.
· They’re banned from most forms of caffeine, not just coffee.
· They don’t actually know how to cook, since they don’t really have room in their house for a fireplace or stove. After Miriam finds out she and her grandmother teach them how to cook and make a fire pit outside.
I need to know how outdated Bard’s clothes are in universe (because they are described as outdated at one point I think).
Namely I need to know specifically whether it’s like they’re wearing bellbottoms everywhere or if they’re running around in full ren faire garb the whole time
Ok, I’m going to bed for tonight. If you have a request I haven’t answered yet, don’t worry, I’ll get to it as soon as I can
@pancake776 In the future I would prefer it if you could use the ask box, but thank you for the suggestion!
For a song about singing, how fitting I am a pied pi- wait no, that’s a pipe. How fitting I am a… siren? song? Hmm, that doesn’t really fit either, does it?
Anon this blog does not post cannibalism, but I will allow it once because you seem very polite
Attempted murder has failed. Attempted murder, in fact, could not have failed harder without the introduction of clones.