anyone ever read the Grapes of Wrath and find themselves ready to lead a socialist revolution? or is that just me?
anyone ever read the Grapes of Wrath and find themselves ready to lead a socialist revolution? or is that just me?
… I’m back… definitely didn’t forget I still had this account… that would be crazy…
nobody will see this but, I’m deleting tumblr! this blog will still exist bc it has some okay content but I won’t be active at all. sorry folks.
i wish i had a group of outdoorsy friends to do gay shit in the woods with like building a structurally unsound rope swing, climbing into abandoned restricted areas, finding animal bones, discovering a dead body (which causes us to have a profound bonding experience that will impact us for the rest of our lives), throwing rocks at passing cop cars from the hedges and sitting on a smooth flat topped rock or mossy log playing drinking games and exchanging kisses over a campfire. thats all.
me, setting screen time limits, knowing full well that I’ll push the “15 more minutes” button a dozen times:
Does anyone else love bad weather? Like the kind that’s loud and dark and draws attention to its self like pounding rain drops and thunder and lightning that seems just so close. And you can sit near a window and it’s dark outside and maybe you’ve got a candle lit or a lamp and it’s so warm inside and you’re wearing you’re favourite sweater and watching a good show or reading a good book and it’s beautiful outside the rain and the clouds and the sound of it all and you’re just so content and cosy and happy
i want friends with whom i can visit art galleries and photography collections, exchange monthly book recommendations, take long city walks during the night, drink cheap wine while listening to vinyl records, browse second-hand bookshops, spend all day in little libraries, sit on balconies and take pictures of the evening sky
not to be a person of color, but white people really got me feeling like i somehow can’t be a poc and lgbt at the same time. like there is SOOOOO much racism in the lgbt community (antiblackness especially) and erasure of lgbt poc that my brain literally slips sometimes and associates being gay with whiteness because you pea-brained motherfuckers never fucking show us anything else. i’m friends with someone who, before figuring out who they were, literally didn’t think they could actually be part of the community because “only white people could be gay.” that was his thought process. i sometimes feel “white” for wanting to wear pride merch or writing about being gay/trans rather than about being a poc as if those two things can’t coexist. at this point, i feel seriously alienated from the community in general… and that infuriates me! this community was literally formed by people of color! US! how the fuck were you all able to whitewash this?
if white people want to reblog this just to like spread awareness or whatever i guess that’s alright, but seriously, don’t even think about commenting. this post doesn’t need your input.
I’ve had people say to my face ‘you can’t be gay!! You’re brown!!’ And the nerve of people who say I can’t be trans because I’m Indian???? Mate we had one of the biggest and most accepting trans communities before colonisation came along, go sit on a cactus
White people ruin literally everything. Fuck those that say you can’t be part of the community bc you aren’t white. Fuck those that say you can’t be someone bc you aren’t white.
Be that person. Be part of the community bc you fucking matter and no white motherfucker can tell you otherwise
you sure did ruin this post too didn’t you huh… can’t follow any fuckin’ directions where i said for white people not to be stupid and annoying and don’t comment on this post like a bunch of stupid annoying white motherfuckers huh… you contributed absolutely zero things here… poc don’t need your approval believe it or not and pretending you’re one of the ~good white people~ who “hates white people” just makes you look twice as pathetic as your run of the mill racist
When a drunk girl outside a club bathroom speaks… you listen. If she tells you that you’ll find love despite being hurt in the past? She’s right. If she tells you to stop being so self-aware? She’s right. They are the modern day Oracles at Delphi and must be taken at their every word
These tips are from more than 1 person so feel free to choose the ones that you think work best for you. The tips are from people that i’ve talked to so far.
How to start?
- learn the writing system/alphabet/pronunciation
- listen to music/shows to get used to the language
- research facts about the language
- research good resources
- play on duolingo and see if you like/can handle the language
- make a study guide
- decide your approach, digital notes or paper notes? with notes or immersion? etc.
The Next Step
- study grammar
- learn basic words/phrases
- find songs that you listen to daily
- read about the country
- play online games like memrise, quizlet, anki, clozemaster etc.
- review constantly what you’ve learned
- make a schedule
- learn vocabulary
- write texts with the new words
- write them on sticky notes and place them around the house
- learn words from lists of words from the internet
- learn with phrasebooks/books.dictionary
- talk with yourself/others and look up the unknown words that you need
- make vocab lists
- learn words per category
- immerse and learn like a kid
- learn new words when you encounter them
- take digital/paper notes
- don’t take notes
- take notes on a whiteboard
- learn with duolingo (the site has grammar explanations, the app doesn’t)
- attend a class
- watch videos on youtube about grammar
- immerse and don’t learn with books
- write texts
- quizlet/memrise/anki courses that present grammar formulas
- study by explaining to others what you’ve learned before
- make posts on tumblr
- watch documentaries/movies
- talk to natives
- read books/magazines
- research a bit daily
- look up facts
- learn basic stuff like well-known poems
How to deal with a plateau
- learn more vocabulary
- wait patiently
- master the grammar you know/new grammar/all grammar
- immerse yourself
- set a period of time where you speak just in your target language
- force yourself to think in the language
- change the settings of your phone/social media
When you deal with difficulties
- ask on HiNative your question
- ask on tumblr through an ask/a post
- talk with a native
- find an article
- research the problem on google and look for solutions
- find videos on youtube
- ask on the forum from duolingo
- ask a teacher
How to revise
- re-read your notes/papers
- solve tests online on each theme/concept
- review with apps like memrise, quizlet, anki etc.
- write texts
- make lists with what you remember
- teach others
- make tests when you learn and solve them when you revise
Everyone has their own method of learning/studying so you need to experience for a while before seeing what works best for you.
Here is a masterpost of MOOCs (massive open online courses) that are available, archived, or starting soon. I think they will help those that like to learn with a teacher or with videos. You can always check the audit course or no certificate option so that you can learn for free.
American Sign Language
- Arabic for Global Exchange (in the drop down menu)
- Arabic Without Walls
- Intro to Arabic
- Madinah Arabic
- Moroccan Arabic
Catalan Sign Language
- Basic Chinese
- Basic Chinese I. II, III, IV , V
- Basic Mandarin Chinese I & II
- Beginner’s Chinese
- Chinese for Beginners
- Chinese Characters
- Chinese for HSK 1
- First Year Chinese I & II
- HSK Level 1
- Mandarin Chinese I
- Mandarin Chinese for Business
- More Chinese for Beginners
- Start Talking Mandarin Chinese
- UT Gateway to Chinese
- Chino Básico (Taught in Spanish)
- AP French Language and Culture
- Basic French Skills
- Beginner’s French: Food & Drink
- Diploma in French
- Elementary French I & II
- Français Interactif
- French in Action
- French for Beginners
- French Language Studies I, II, III
- Basic German
- Beginner’s German: Food & Drink
- Conversational German I, II, III, IV
- Deutsch im Blick
- Diploma in German
- Rundblick-Beginner’s German
- Beginner’s Italian: Food & Drink
- Beginner’s Italian I
- Introduction to Italian
- Italian for Beginners 1 , 2, 3 , 4 , 5, 6
- Oggi e Domani
- Advanced Italian I
- Italian Literature
- Italian Novel of the Twentieth Century
- La Commedia di Dante
- Reading Italian Literature
- Beginner’s Conversational Japanese
- Japanese JOSHU
- Japanese Pronunciation
- Sing and Learn Japanese
- Tufs JpLang
- A1-B2 Kazakh (Taught in Russian)
- Latin I (Taught in Italian)
- Basics of Russian
- Easy Accelerated Learning for Russian
- Russian Alphabet
- Russian Essentials
- Russian Phonetics and Pronunciation
- Reading and Writing Russian
- Reading Master and Margarita
- Russian as an Instrument of Communication
- Siberia: Russian for Foreigners
- AP Spanish Language & Culture
- Basic Spanish for English Speakers
- Beginner’s Spanish:Food & Drink
- Fastbreak Spanish
- Introduction to Spanish
- Restaurants and Dining Out
- Spanish for Beginners
- Spanish for Beginners 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- Spanish Vocabulary
- Corrección, Estilo y Variaciones
- La España de El Quijote
- Leer a Macondo
- Spanish:Con Mis Propias Manos
- Spanish: Perspectivas Porteñas
- Reading Spanish Literature
Last updated: March 1, 2017
For all my language learning buddies
MOOCs are great.
Do you need to distract yourself? Or are you simply bored? Here are some great websites to make the time pass.
- create pixel art
- Awesome photo editor and art program, all free…!
- Totally free transparent textures
- make a cute chibi
- draw some cool generative art
- be a graffiti creator
- create a picassohead (you don’t need to be a picasso to do so)
- paint online
- another awsome site to create pixel art on
- and another one
- create your own mandala
- or color one
- create an avatar
- or you can try creating your own superhero
- here you can interact with organisms in different environments to see how to music changes
- here’s a website that translates the time into hexidecimal colours,
- Here is a website where you can travel along a 3D line into the infinite unkown
- here is a website where you can listen to rain with or without music
- Need a model in a certain pose for drawing? here
- Want to build your own planet
- here is a website where you can create your own galaxies
- make your own pattern (very useful if you need a new background)
- create next hit comic
- make a city which looks like something from 90′s games
- draw a mandala like design
- jig saw puzzles
- more jig saw puzzles to solve
- create a stunning HTML5 animation - no coding!
- make a movie
- create and dress up dolls
- play a piano
- you can also play a guitar
- create sounds
- another sound creator
- create a logo
- design your dream home
- sketch rooms
- explore fashion trends and create your own sets
- build a website
- try this app for building a website
- Or maybe start learning how to code!
- design your own t-shirt or a beanie or sweatpants and order them
- design your own phone case
- pretend to be a graphic designer with this cool online tool
- Make your own Glitch art
- Here’s another glitch art maker
- And another!
- Holy hell, here’s a third!
- make an image look like it was created by a commodore 64
- freaking cool text generator!
- Easy to use word processor
- Make up really cool patterns or run your photos through it :)
- Write an essay on anything with no hassle
- Wanna see how something you write would look like if it was on JacksFilms YGS((Your Grammar Sucks videos on YouTube))?
- Make pictures out of text
- ASCII word generator
- Need an idea for some fanart-here :D
- sleep calculator
- rice questions
- artsy-fartsy pretty thing
- survive nature
- tumblr music
- calming rain
- backgrounds [x]
- loads of references
Still haven’t found something that would float your boat? Try these:
- watch a documentary
- learn to code
- do something yourself
- workout with the help of this great youtube channels
- learn things
- play pokemon or zelda or other awesome old school games
- waste your time on miniclip
- play games at additing games
- or try games at agame
- calm your thoughts
- the quiet place
- it will be okay
- vent or listen to someone
- pour out your soul
- explore the sky
- look at art from around the world
- virtually visit museum of iraq
- explore world with arounder
- create a music playlist
- list through rare books
- scroll useful science website
- create sand art
- brain games
- try out tastekid and discover new favorite band or movie or book
- interactive 3D anatomy
- random street view
- post a secret
- create a family tree
- find our what’s the difference between x and y
- help scientists and become volunteer researcher
- create your own font
- read a classic short story
- In the mood to read, but not sure exactly what book to go for?
- scribble on maps
- listen to letters
- play with acrobots
- listen to podcasts
- make a bucket list
- Ever want to see the most truly useless websites in creation?
- Prank a friend with this blue screen of death!
- Zone out watching the colors drip down
- Sprite generator!
- Face Generator/Creator!
Maybe none of these peeked your interest-maybe you’ve been wanting to create an o.c, but never really knew how to start-or you just enjoy making O.C’s….Or maybe you have a Gemsona that you want to create, but don’t have the energy to draw!
This masterlist is to help you in making your own OCs….it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! (´ヮ`)!
- Just a straight up character gemsona creator
- Here’s another
- Not sure what gem to go with, or where?
- OR maybe your unsure about more than just that?
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
Need an Appearance idea?
- Humanoid generator? check
- Here’s another one
- and maybe if you didn’t like those this’ll work
- Need Monsterpeople?
- Well, then here ya’ go
- Maybe you need Cats?
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- Clothing generator
- Another clothing generator
- More clothing generator
- Aaaand even more
- Steam punk clothing
- Char Style preference
- Dress Generator
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
- Oh shit someone died
- Backgrounds and stuff? yep
- Personality. you need that shit
- Need something fandom related?
- City generator hell yeah
- location? got ya
- make your own god damn laws
Need Item names?
- Fantasy/sci-fi/etc. medicine names
- Stuff to make things more interesting.Weapons, clothes, treasures… whatever your characters need.
- Item & Artifact Generators
- Genre, Plot, & Story Prompt Generators
- How did your characters meet?
- Fanfic plots. you bet your ass.
Other Other stuffs!
WAIT!…if none of that worked, then maybe you want to make a southpark style character?
- Undertale character speech box creator!
- Want inspiration for an Undertale Oc?
- OR a super Edgy Undertale Theory generator?
- Maybe you just want to read some funny Sans Puns!
Is there a skill you’ve always wanted to master someday, but kept procrastinating on? A language you started learning – then abandoned? A topic in class you’ve never quite grasped? Or maybe you just want to expand your horizon and try something new? Distract yourself from your usual studies?
This challenge is the perfect opportunity to achieve that! Pick a skill and see how much you can improve and grow in 30 days – or really start working on your to-read list (I know those books have been piling up), your portfolio for that dream job in Illustration you want, or your blog you’ve been meaning to post more original content on.
Self-growth and development are so, so important, which is the main reason why I created this challenge.
The idea of this challenge is that people from all communities come together to gain knowledge, add skills and just have fun with the amazing amount of resources out there. This way, we can all support and motivate each other, whatever field you might be interested in.
Post an introduction with the hashtag #30dol with your goals and expectations for the month (starting June 1st), and what your current level is. (Of course, you can join in later as well, but it’s fun to start a the same time!) In the end, you’ll be able to compare and see how much has changed!
- choose a topic or field you want to concentrate on
- post an introduction to #30dol
- define your goals or aspirations
- update daily or weekly, we want to hear from you! ♥
- post a picture, a sketch, or audio, whatever you deem fitting to show us all your progress for the day/week
Here are some ideas for you:
- bullet journaling (read about it here on @emmastudies, here’s an amazing online course on it)
- books/reading (if you don’t have a personal to-read list, here is one with the best books of the 20th century, best series with a gay plot/subplot, and books everyone should have read at least once)
- coding (here are some sites to learn html, css, data science, python 3, java, etc.: x x x x)
- design/illustration ( stickers and illustration, character illustration, Ink Illustration, 45 best adobe illustrator tutorials,
- business/freelance/open your own shop (tips on how to open your own sticker shop, digital skills: web analytics and marketing)
- languages (apps like lingodeer, duolingo, lingvist, busuu, blogs like @lovelybluepanda. there are also so many pdfs and amazing websites out there depending on your target language!)
- online mass education courses (edx, coursera, skillshare, futurelearn where universities and professionals teach you about their subject - be that astronomy, engineering, ancient greek history, artificial intelligence or medicine!)
- social media (learn to take iphone photos for your tumblr or instagram, and here’s a great post by @studyquill on how to start and maintain a studyblr!)
- photography (travel street photography, find photographers you admire like annie leibovitz or henri cartier bresson and read about their path, or browse youtube channels like negative feedback which specialize on photography)
- creative writing (there are tons of workshops online - you could also try to set yourself a piece or word limit similar to nanowrimo)
- culinary (check recipe websites, or challenge yourself to try one new recipe a day, or dedicate the month to a specific cuisine)
- music (learn music production, andrew huang has also made a video on how to start making music here)
- film and filmmaking (karsten runquist’s channel is wonderful for film analysis, learn about cinematography basics here and film history here)
- painting (acrylic painting, sketchbook illustration. you could challenge yourself to fill an entire sketchbook/create a piece every day or week, or to improve a specific technique)
Every resource linked is free (if you click on the links you can get Skillshare for free for two months and cancel anytime), so all you need is some free time and lots of motivation!!
I’m very happy to be announcing this to you all, and will be working on my Japanese for this challenge – so excited to see what you all and I will do and how far we can come!
Use #30dol as the general tag, and add your field (your specific subject, or writing, painting, lang(uages), pho(tography), film, book, design) to find people doing something similar! Though honestly one of the things I’m most excited about is the multidisciplinary aspect - we are such a brilliant and colorful community :)
Have fun guys!!