Boston, Massachusetts, circa 1874, 1891.
City Hall, architects Gridley James Fox Bryant and Arthur Gilman.
Boston, Massachusetts, circa 1874, 1891.
City Hall, architects Gridley James Fox Bryant and Arthur Gilman.
New York Bay seen from Staten Island. 1897.
New York’s water-front at Staten Island ferry. Ca. 1900.
Interiors from The National Press Club. Date unknown.
The National Press Club is a professional organization and social community in Washington, D.C. for journalists and communications professionals. It hosts public and private gatherings with invited speakers from public life. The Club also offers event space to outside groups to host business meetings, news conferences, industry gatherings and social events.
Founded in 1908, the club has been visited by many U.S. presidents, and many since Warren Harding have been members – most have spoken from the club’s podium. Others who have appeared at the club include monarchs, prime ministers and premiers, members of Congress, Cabinet officials, ambassadors, scholars, entertainers, business leaders, and athletes. The Club’s emblem is the Owl, in deference to wisdom, awareness and nights spent working.
The National Press Club was founded by, and for a time was open exclusively to, white male journalists. Female journalists founded a Women’s National Press Club in 1919, and African-American journalists founded the Capital Press Club in 1944. The first African-American male journalist was accepted for National Press Club membership in 1955.
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower under construction. 5 Madison Avenue, New York 1908.
Pennsylvania Station. Interior. 1910. New York.
Views of Bar Harbor; Mount Desert Island, Maine. Between ca. 1890-1900.
Originally incorporated as the Town of Eden, the town’s name was changed
to Bar Harbor in 1918.
Bar Harbor’s fascinating history as a summer resort began long before Champlain’s visit in 1604. Passamaquoddy and Penobscot tribes inhabited the island year-round. In the 1850’s, painters such as Frederic E. Church, Thomas Cole, Fitz Hugh Lane, William Hart and Thomas Birch popularized the area through their exhibits of the island’s beautiful mountains and seascapes. The first Hotel on the island was built in Bar Harbor by Tobias Roberts, the Agamont House in 1855. Alpheus Hardy was the first summer resident to build a “cottage” called Birch Point in 1868. More and more hotels and cottages were built as “rusticators” as summer visitors and residents were called, came to the island by train and the Mount Desert Ferry to dock at Bar Harbor.
land boom continued until the 1880’s when such notables as Joseph
Pulitzer, William Proctor, Mary Cadwalader Jones, Frederick Vanderbilt,
George Vanderbilt and Evelyn Walsh McLean came and built magnificent
It was at this time that Boston native George B. Dorr worked tirelessly with Charles W. Eliot and later with John D. Rockefeller Jr. to bring about the National Park, which was organized in 1916 as Sieur de Monts monument. The name was changed in 1919 to Lafayette National Park and in 1929 to Acadia National Park.
Bar Harbor, with its wealthy and powerful summer visitors, had become a rival with Newport, Rhode Island as the place to be seen and to play in the 1880’s through the first part of 20th century. President Taft could be seen playing golf at Kebo Golf Club in August 1910. The garden parties at the Pot & Kettle club were attended by ladies and gentlemen in the beautiful long dresses and attire of the time. Robin Hood Park - Morrell Park was the place for a great afternoon of horse racing.
The Fire of ‘47
Friday, October 17, 1947, at 4 p.m., the fire department received a
call from Mrs. Gilbert, who lived near Dolliver’s dump on Crooked Road
west of Hulls Cove. She reported smoke rising from a cranberry bog
between her home and the dump. No one knows what started the fire. It
could have been cranberry pickers smoking cigarettes in the bog. Or
perhaps it was sunlight shining through a piece of broken glass in the
dump that acted like an incendiary magnifying glass. Whatever the cause,
once ignited, the fire smoldered underground. From this quiet beginning
arose an inferno that burned nearly half of the eastern side of Mount
Desert Island and made international news.
In its first three days, the fire burned a relatively small area, blackening only 169 acres. But on October 21, strong winds fanned the flames. The blaze spread rapidly and raged out of control, engulfing over 2,000 acres. The fire swept down Millionaires’ Row, an impressive collection of majestic summer cottages on the shore of Frenchman Bay. 67 of these seasonal estates were destroyed. The fire skirted the business district but razed 170 permanent homes and 5 large historic hotels in the area surrounding downtown Bar Harbor.
Bar Harbor residents not actively engaged in firefighting tried to find safety, fleeing first to the athletic field and later to the town pier. At one point all roads from the town were blocked by flames, so fishermen from nearby Winter Harbor, Gouldsboro, and Lamoine prepared to help with a mass exodus by boat. Still the fire continued to burn. From Bar Harbor, the blaze raced down the coast almost to Otter Point, engulfing and destroying the Jackson Laboratory on its way. The fire blew itself out over the ocean in a massive fireball. But that wasn’t the end of the destruction. Almost 2,000 more acres burned before the fire was declared under control on October 27. The fire was not pronounced completely out until 4 p.m. on November 14, nearly one month after it began.
In all, some 17,188 acres
burned. More than 10,000 acres were in Acadia National Park. Property
damage exceeded $23 million dollars. Considering the magnitude of the
fire, loss of human life had been minimal.
Bar Harbor, too, was changed by the fire. Most of the permanent residents rebuilt their homes, but many of the grand summer cottages were not replaced. The estates on Millionaires’ Row have been replaced by motels that house the ever-increasing tourist population. But the fire alone cannot be blamed for ending the island’s once-grand “cottage era.” The opulent lifestyle had already been suffering from the effects of the newly invented income tax and the Depression. The destructive flames merely provided a final blow.
J.J.Astor’s steam yacht, “Nourma” (USS Noma).
Noma was a large steam yacht, designed by Tams, Lemoine & Crane and built by the Burlee Dry Dock Co. of Staten Island, New York, Yard No. 235, and launched on 11 February 1902. She was built for William Bateman Leeds, the “Tin Plate King”, who had married Nonnie May Stewart Worthington in 1900 and the following year sold his tin-plate business to US Steel for $40 million.
The yacht measured 763 GRT when built, with a lengths of 70.2 metres (230.3 ft)(pp) and 80.0 metres (262.5 ft)(oa), a beam of 8.7 metres (28.5 ft), and a draught of 4.7 metres (15.4 ft). Noma’s two 4-cylinder triple expansion steam engines, also made by Burlee Dry Dock, totalled 518 nhp, drove twin screws and gave her a speed of 19 knots.
Leeds died in 1908 and in 1911 Noma was bought by John Jacob Astor IV, though his ownership was short-lived as he died in the sinking of Titanic the following year, and the yacht passed to his son, Vincent Astor.
The Noma was loaned to the U.S. Navy during World War I as a patrol craft assigned to protect shipping from German submarines. At war’s end she served the American Relief Commission in Constantinople and the Black Sea before being returned to her owner after decommissioning. In the 1930s she was converted to a salvage tug, owned in Italy as Salvatore Primo, and torpedoed during World War II.
Zeppelin Airship. 1908.
Important cat research happening in this picture from the 1930s.
Old homestead in Belle Terre, Long Island. New York, 1908.
The Old Homestead stood near the corner of what is now Port Jefferson’s Winston Drive and Crystal Brook Hollow Road.
Long Beach, Long Island. New York. Between ca. 1900 - 1915.
Arlington Beach, Virginia. Between ca. 1923-1929
Arlington, Virginia’s Potomac shore playground of the 1920’s; Arlington Beach was a recreational spot with a man-made white-sand beach, swimming and amusement park. Difficult to imagine that this once existed for only a brief few years in the 1920s, near the foot of the Highway Bridge (presently the location of the 14th Street Bridge) over the Potomac River, close to where the Pentagon stands today. Opening to the public on May 30, 1923, many a lazy summer day was spent there by residents of the National Capital region. Beachgoers could change in the bath houses and bathe in the calm waters of the Potomac, rent canoes, or just pleasantly enjoy the breeze while sunbathing. The adjacent amusement park featured the “Bowler Dips”, a wooden roller coaster built in 1925, as well as an airplane ride, Ferris wheel, a race track, a carnival area with numerous arcade attractions…and a beautiful carousel, with carved wooden horses which brought smiles to the faces of kids and adults alike. There was also a large round building housing a partially open-air Dance Pavilion, surrounded by eateries. Imagine dancing to a live band while the enticing smell of hot dogs filled the air! Picnics were fun family get-togethers at Arlington Beach….filled with laughter, good food and good times. Such were the carefree days of summer in the 1920s at Arlington Beach.
But, the good times were soon to come to an end…in 1925, next to the amusement area, there opened a small airport called Hoover Field (where the Pentagon is now located). Hoover was known as one of the most dangerous air fields in the country in those early days of aviation, with many obstructions surrounding the airstrip. It was not uncommon that beachgoers would witness crashes of the small planes on a regular basis! The airport was needed, however, and grew with each coming year. In 1929, the Washington Airport Corporation bought Arlington Beach for additional landing space…and all of a sudden, after just 6 years of existence…Arlington Beach was no more. Everything was either removed or torn down to make way for Hoover Field’s expansion…including the big wooden roller coaster. Not a trace of the old days of sun, sand and shore remained.
Colonial Beach, Virginia, 1913.
People gathered on shoreline, pier and in bathhouse, steamship at pier.
Virginia Beach, VA: The Princess Anne Hotel. Ca. 1905.
Anita Stewart Morris (August 7, 1886 – September 15, 1977) was an American socialite and heiress who married Prince Miguel, Duke of Viseu, grandson of King Miguel I of Portugal, and the eldest son of Dom Miguel, Duke of Braganza, who was Miguelist claimant to the throne of Portugal from 1866 to 1920.
Anita Rhinelander Stewart was born in Elberon, New Jersey, on August 7, 1886. She was the daughter of Anne “Annie” McKee Armstrong (1864–1925) and William Rhinelander Stewart, Sr. (1852–1929). She had one sibling, William Rhinelander Stewart, Jr. Her father was an attorney who managed several trusts for his family. Her parents divorced in August 1906, and afterwards, her mother married James Henry Smith. Smith died in Japan in 1907 while on their honeymoon. Her mother then married Jean de Saint Cyr on April 25, 1915.
After her husband died in 1923, Anita moved to New York City. In order to regain her American citizenship, she had to renounce her royal title. However, society continued to refer to her with her regal title.
Following her second marriage, she continued to operate a photography studio in Manhattan and spend time at Malbone, their Gothic Revival estate in Newport, Rhode Island.
Photos from 1909.
Princess Ileana of Romania, also known as Mother Alexandra (5 January 1909 – 21 January 1991), was the youngest daughter of King Ferdinand I of Romania and his consort, Queen Marie of Romania. She was a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, Tsar Alexander II and Queen Maria II of Portugal. She was born as Her Royal Highness Ileana, Princess of Romania, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.
Ileana was born in Bucharest on 5 January 1909, the youngest daughter of Queen Marie of Romania and King Ferdinand I of Romania. Although it was rumored that Ileana’s true father was her mother’s lover, Prince Barbu Ştirbey, the king admitted paternity. Ileana had four older siblings: Carol, Elisabeth – later Queen of Greece, Princess Maria – later Queen of Yugoslavia – and Nicholas. Her younger brother Mircea was also claimed to be the child of Prince Ştirbey even though the king also claimed to be his father.
Photos from 1919.
Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia (1892-1980), daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Ca. 1910-15.
Woodward Avenue, Detroit Michigan. Princess Theatre - “Nothing Nicer Anywhere”. Ca. 1910.
New Sherwood Hotel, Burlington, Vermont. Ca. 1915.
Photograph shows interior of St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, Great Britain, with banners belonging to the Knights of the Garter. Ca. 1915.
Newspaper sellers in the streets of London. 1910.
Newsies. Possibly New York. 1915.
Market Street, Harrisburg, Pa. Ca. 1915.
Philadelphia, PA: Cafe Peran and Hotel Rainer’s (left) with shoe shine boys in front; Hotel Walton with the Broad Street Theatre to its right. Ca. 1908.
Hotel Flanders, Philadelphia PA. S 15th st. near Walnut st. Ca. 1905.
Philadelphia, PA. Ca. 1910.
Broad St, Market St and Chestnut St.
Hoover and Mason clam shell hoists, Cleveland, Ohio. Ca. 1900.
Construction of Monroe Street Bridge, Spokane, Wash., Aug. 3, 1911.