take me by the wrists to that gentle, dark autumn place where the grey sky never settles and there is such a monstrous chill that i can feel my lungs when i breathe.
take me down those cobbled paths where my soul has not been for so long and show me, in this life, what it is to be alive. i want to remember.
i do not want this moment to end. please, let me have it a little longer
the linguistics students
- thick reference books with paper thin pages and minuscule font
- collecting idiomatic phrases from other languages, finding meanings that can’t be conveyed precisely in your mother tongue
- seeing language like a puzzle waiting to be solved
- a love for the complex power of words
- fighting to preserve dying languages
- studying the essence of communication
- a shelf stacked with pocket dictionaries, useful phrases marked by sticky notes
- interest in the related fields of history, anthropology, and psychology
- learning the international phonetic alphabet
- a deep belief in the importance of human language
- repeating unfamiliar phonemes until the sounds start to make sense in your mouth
- wishing you could learn any language instantly
- appreciating the importance of context and nonverbal communication
- neat syntax diagrams in your notes
- researching how your language has developed over time
- deciphering archaic dialects
- debates over what, exactly, constitutes language at its core
- crowded sidewalks and the buzz of words you don’t understand
- a fascination with language families and their similarities
- hearing the difference between bilabial and labial fricatives, or aspirated and unaspirated consonants
- a willingness to try new things
- knowing that the way we use language is in a constant state of flux
i am so tired.
the life that i live, defined by how my parents want me to be; it is abominable.
i yearn for quiet. for solidarity. for aloneness.
do not leave me here.
whoever invented hand holding really knew what they were doing: it is truly the most tender form of intimacy
when are we going to go back to using overly-pretentious vocabulary? gesticulate? yes. defenestration? absolutely. cubtium eamus? i beg you.
you say this is my life and then you tear it, bloody, from my hands
I have this urge inside me, that tells me to leave this place. This desire to leave and never return, I yearn for the road, and the places it could take me, I long to be somewhere else, I want to be anywhere but here. This feeling is eating me alive and tearing my insides apart, the more I try to ignore it the more it hurts like hell. I wish I could do it, I wish I could leave, and never return, finally fulfill these painful desires and find the freedom and peace I crave so deeply, but that’s all it will ever be, a internal desire that can’t be filled, and a wish that will never be granted.