Anyway…do you have any favorite headcanons for banana fish?
Yeah! So honestly I’m not huge into headcanon lists and stuff like that, and mostly only think of headcanons in the context of fics. Buuut that being said, one headcanon that’s been on my mind a lot lately that I’ve incorporated into fics was one that came from a discussion with @hearteiji! Not sure how many people will be onboard with this one, but that’s okay.
So I hadn’t realized that I was kind of already writing them this way, but I’ve started doing it intentionally more recently. I write Shorter as having ADHD and Ash as autistic. And they have neurodivergency solidarity! Everyone is always like “what the FUCK are those two doing” but they get each other in a way that others don’t.
Shorter having ADHD is way easier to make a case for, so I’m gonna focus more on Ash.
- Ash upon first meeting Max: “Yeah I read all your columns! I didn’t like them.” And then he doesn’t understand why that’s not a compliment.
- Ash took years of etiquette classes, essentially learning how to mask, but still struggles when he’s not actively putting the effort in.
- Special interests! His hyperfixation on learning, math, books.
- He’s a picky eater.
- We know Ash is brilliant, but he struggles with emotional intelligence. Clearly gets a little confused with interpersonal relationships, like his brain not working when it comes to Eiji.
- Ash not understanding why his joke to Eiji about modeling falls flat. You can see the moment where he’s, like, “… Wait. That didn’t work.” And then he changes the subject.
- “If he’s so smart, how did Ash not notice that anything was wrong with Shorter when he was working for Yue?” He trusted Shorter, and wasn’t able to pick up on the indicators that Shorter was behaving differently until it was too late. Another big reason Ash blames himself for everything that went down there.
- Black and white thinking patterns. The fandom considers Blanca morally gray, but Ash? Ash thinks Blanca is 100% correct and trusts him when he says that Ash is bad for Eiji.
- During Angel Eyes, Ash essentially has a meltdown when Shorter goes off script and acts socially unpredictable, as Shorter is prone to do. Later this is actually an asset for the two of them as friends, but they’re not there yet.
As for Shorter having ADHD … have you seen the guy?