an NPC incarnation of my repeating PC character Adi, and her Cat of Ulthar companion, Reist~ Adi herself is a different person in each incarnation, but Reist is always the same cat.
It’s a bit inaccurate to call Adi a cat person though - more like she treats all creatures as sentient beings worthy of respect until proven otherwise. And she’s usually got the charisma to back that up. I mean, one of her incarnations managed to convince an Mind Flayer Elder Brain that working with her would make more sense than opposing the group, and to let the ancient golden dragon it had taken control of free, and to let the dragon keeps its memories, and then convinced the dragon to not only not attack the elder brain but to all work together. The DM had planned to kill at least one of us with a super tough battle, and instead we walked out with the power of friendship~
That can backfire though. Curse of Strahd’s Adi freaked the hell out of the party when we ended up in a hidden cove of abberations and Adi managed to Deep Speech the party’s way past multiple monstrosities, culminating in one of the PC’s becoming convinced she was way too buddy-buddy with evil things and dramatically exiting the group (after blasting Reist with a lightning bolt no less - the kersploded, but its alright, he got better~)
And I mean the PC wasn’t wrong, Adi WAS a cleric of Nyarlathotep, but she’s never been a bad person~ Just.. her cheery outlook might be incredibly dangerous when it comes to eldritch things!
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
The gist: our group of ruff-n-tumble heroes were in a village being attacked by skeletons. We rode north to the other village, consisting of orcs, in search for help.
The Bard: We need your help with these skeletons!
Head Orc: Ah, but what be in it for us?
I, the Necromancer pipe up: You get some neat bones
Head Orc: (he is nodding, the other orcs are also nodding) We do love to make anything and everything with bones
Necromancer: I know right?!
Science fiction is full of first contact stories, but is there a such thing as LAST contact? Decide exactly what that means, and write about it.
It was too late, when the humans came. They were a young species, still exploring outwards, vital and thriving.
We… were not.
War had ravaged us, and sickness, and war once again, until our population dwindled beyond the point of recovery. We struggled against that, of course… we used genetic manipulation, and cloning, and even more desperate measures. None succeeded. When the humans came, we were sinking into apathy, only a few tens of us left. We had begun to discuss whether we should commit a mass suicide, or simply wait to fade away.
And then the young species came, in their clumsy ships, and they asked us why we were so few.
“We are becoming extinct,” we told them. “We have passed the point of recovery.”
It is custom to avoid the races that are dying – once a species reaches the point of inevitable extinction, even war is suspended, and the fiercest enemy pulls back. The custom was born of plagues and poisons that could be carried forth from a dying world to afflict a healthy one, but it has the implacable weight of tradition now. After we are gone, after they have waited for the prescribed period of quarantine, there will be a fight for our world. Habitable worlds are few, and this is a good one, with plenty of free groundwater and thriving vegetation. It is a bitter thing to be grateful for the custom that allows us to die in peace, but we are grateful.
But the humans don’t know that custom, and they do not leave. They seem distraught, when we tell them we are dying, and try to offer their aid - but their technology is behind ours, and it is too late. When they realize that they can’t save us, though, they do something that bewilders us.
Editing? Oh you mean fic patching.
- Protagonist now has more complex motivations.
- Protagonist now remembers key facts about important people. He no longer develops convenient amnesia between cutscenes.
- Protagonist now has a cooldown on certain adverbs. Adverbs have been buffed by 30% to compensate.
- Developer note: Adverbs are important to writing but they are sometimes overused. This change keeps adverbs relevant while encouraging the use of adjectives and verbs.
- The horse now has a name.
- Deuteragonist snark power has been increased to 150, up from 75.
- Characters now no longer reference the previous version’s climate and have been updated to react appropriately to the currently set season.
- Solved a glitch where supernumerary limbs would sometimes emerge during complex physical interactions.
- Should no longer display “[insertnamehere]” during conversations and narration. All of such occurrances have been replaced with the appropriate tags.
- Conversation continuity has been improved. Characters will no longer inappropriately respond with lines from previous iterations of the narrative.
- All references to “Event A” have been purged to reflect changes in narrative structure.
- Now with more thematically-consistent swearing.
- Back-to-back repeated words that resulted from sentence rearranging or start/stop editing have been cleared.
- Paragraphs which contained two or more instances of the same adjective have had their adjectives updated to accurately reflect a player’s vocabulary inventory.
- Minor time traveling issues have been resolved, all characters should now exist in the same tense.
- Punctuation has been improved. Commas have been reduced by half.
- Characters sighing has been reduced by 30%.
- Characters looking at things or people during conversations has been reduced by 40%. To make up for this, characters thinking about the conversation has been boosted and descriptive narrative has been added.
- Title has been applied.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadians out there! 🍁
Since the border is closed and I can’t visit family or friends this year I’ve decided to keep myself busy by adding new items to the shop instead. Woo!
This includes my new Crimson & Silver Bracers as seen with my Armored Dress, as well as more items from my Star line including Large Adventure Packs. ⭐
Sending out virtual hugs and best wishes to you all. ❤️