So I’m gonna.
I and my friend/roommate Tif met Nornoriel in late 2013. Via a series of unfortunate events he ended up befriending us; he then moved into our house in January 2014. He broke enough house rules by April that we decided not to renew his yearly lease, after which he moved out in December 2014. From Dec 2013 to about April 2014, he was constantly oversharing with Tif and I, and that is why I am in the position to warn you about him. I realize he’s left tumblr, but he’s still repeating the same manipulative patterns from 2014 eleven months after he moved out of my house, so I’m finally gonna speak on this so that I can warn the community about him and others like him. If you’re looking for my credentials as to why I should be listened to about astral and magical stuff, feel free to look at my work at @merkavahpartyvan and decide for yourself.
Back in June I got this ask in my inbox:
I was recently abused by someone very well respected in the Tumblr pagan community and I am struggling to even get back on my feet after it. Is there anyway I can make sure that person doesn’t harm anyone else? B they’re respected but no one believes me that they’re being abusive and controlling.
Of course, I wanted to help you out, anon. I’m only now, 11 months after Nornoriel finally left my house, talking about this stuff publicly. It has taken that long to settle with things, to be sure of them, and to move on. I don’t even necessarily suggest full public disclosure as a part of recovery, I just recognize that in my case it is impossible to move on unless I share what happened with the public. I am not going to be at peace with myself until I do. And anon, I’m not sure if you’ll find this whole post to be an adequate response. I don’t myself. I will keep focusing on these general issues in the pagan community and I will write more pagan abuse resources for people like you and I who need them, and further down the line I will be able to write a post about how to cope with this stuff and move on from it, and how to rebuild a sense of trust in other people after things like this happen. I will say, as I privately shared my story, friends believed what I said and did not attack me for it. I expected disbelief and anger, and got none of it. I hope you find that same support, and if not, my inbox is open and I’ll keep it private.
- Nornoriel is hiding crucial information from the public about the religion he is trying to get people to learn about or convert to, information that completely changes the context of the religion.
- Nornoriel lied to us about a lot of things and lies to the public about them as well or obfuscates them.
- Nornoriel’s claims about spirits and other entities often proved untrustworthy.
- Nornoriel bullied and verbally abused us in our own home and destroyed property.
- Nornoriel gaslit us to further his own spirit romance narrative.
- Nornoriel took our own observations of our own astral and spiritual experiences and parroted details from them to claim he was having similar experiences. He still does so.
- Nornoriel has written articles and used information and attributions specifically from us that could come from no other sources and claimed they were his own conclusions and attributions.
- Nornoriel vagueposts about what happened in our house to villainize us and make himself out to be a martyr towards his readership.
Everything else is going beneath the cut because this is fucking huge. There is an offsite version here on Pastebin if for some reason the read more link ever stops working. Also, for a record, a huge amount of this is about Tif and I’s personal experiences because, well, it’s what we experienced. I wish I could be more detached and also I wish I had a simpler story for you, but in the end I decided to just say what happened and let the public decide if they wanted to deal with Nornoriel / Sebastian Lokason any longer. Since he still actively markets his services to new magic users and pagans and he is still repeating his patterns from when he lived in our house, I can’t really NOT disclose these things, especially when it comes to the big issue with his Vanatru religion. If you have questions, uh… well I’ll answer what I’m comfortable with, and I’ll try to let people know if I can’t answer certain things. Also, if I go quiet on tumblr after this, it’s because I’m taking a break from things for a few days. I don’t plan on going anywhere.
Thank you for this post.
Having read Nornoriel’s blog & two books, this is, as others have said, not exactly a surprise to me. Disappointing and disturbing, but not entirely surprising, given I had noticed a couple of red flags in his writings.
To me the part of this post I most want to flag up for anyone who doesn’t want to read the entire thing [which you should] is this: the entity Nornoriel describes as Queen of Vanaheim, whom he encourages worship of, and sells devotional items for, is himself. This was not apparent in Visions of Vanaheim and is a huge lie of omission with some really disturbing implications.