Juno is a genius
Listen y’all, I know it’s honestly iconic to watch Juno get dunked on, but in honor of season three, I feel the need to point out that despite how often he gets roasted within an inch of his life, Juno Steel is an actual literal genius.
Obviously, there are different kinds of intelligence. In fact, most of the geniuses on the show are incredibly good at what they do but not that great at common sense (Rita, Cecil, The Proctor). However, Juno, much like peter, excels in memorization, observation, and critical thinking.
A list of genius things Juno has done, as they occur to me
- Realizing that the triad was being framed based on the name on a phone call in the Original Murderous Mask
- Realizing Min was responsible for the entire scheme in Murderous Mask despite there being no evidence to prove it
- Literally just even figuring peter out, a master thief who’s known for disappearing without a trace
- His quick, snappy one liners that he pulls out of thin air in every situation. The fact that Juno is able to react to new information that quickly and come up with a funny line to punctuate it every time takes way more brains than anyone gives him credit for. Look how many punchlines he came up with in the span of several seconds when the Proctor told him “Murder is like Comedy.” His brain is great at finding patterns and that extends to his jokes.
- Speaking of the proctor, when she gave him and mick the mannequin puzzle, he didn’t even need to think about the answer. He even complained about it being to easy, despite the fact that I certainly can’t think of anyone who could hear a word puzzle like that read aloud and then answer it that quickly.
- The most commonly cited example: JUNO KNOWING JAPANESE. Not only knowing it, but being fluent enough to recognize a very obscure phrase instantly and connect it to a joke. Not only that, but he was STILL fluent, despite presumably not having used the language in several years.
- Swallowing the pill. Now, some might argue that this was not brilliant, and was in fact the dumbest possible thing Juno could do. However, since he couldn’t have possible known about Miasma then, and there was no other way to stop peter from getting it, it was still a clever play. If you listen closely to the overwhelming mind-reading sequence, you can even hear peter laughing at how Juno beat him again.
- Juno almost perfectly remembers the place he lived when he was four. He remembers the conversations his mother had when he was four. He remember that his mom used analog locks when he was four.
- Juno, despite being four and heavily traumatized, managed to both remember Jack, and link him to Ramses, despite the fact that they didn’t look alike, sound alike, or act alike apart from the obsession with doing good at the cost of other people. Loads of people knew both Ramses and Jack, but it took Juno, whos last memory of Jack was from when he was four, to figure it out when no one else had.
- He guessed, based on minimal information, where in the museum Pilot and their gang were going to rob.
- As has been pointed out before, despite claiming to need his shooting, Juno in s2 constantly finds alternative ways to beat the bad guys with his quick thinking.
- He can keep up with other geniuses like Rita or Peter, which in of itself is a talent since neither of them are very good at communicating like normal humans.
- Feel free to add anything I missed
Point is, Juno deserves more love and appreciation for his talents honestly. If I have to be the founding member of the Juno Steel is an Actual Genius club then so be it.