Union Station Dining Room by StreetsofWashington
Early postcard by Minnie Brooke of the spacious dining room at Union Station, just to the north of the main waiting room.
National Education Association by StreetsofWashington
Here is a postcard view fo the National Education Association’s first headquarters building when it moved to Washington. This was before it bought the former Guggenheim mansion at 1201 16th Street NW in 1919 (it’s still at that location today, although the mansion is long gone). –Does anyone know where this fine Victorian house was located?
R.P. Andrews Paper Company (c. 1913) by StreetsofWashington
Born in Pennsylvania, Ross P. Andrews (1864-1939) came to Washington in the late 1880s as a paper company salesman. He then bought the company out and established the R.P, Andrews Paper Company in 1893. After its original building on Louisiana Ave NW burned in 1912, the company constructed this building at 725 13th Street, between G and H Streets. Five years later, it would move again, and a new C&P Telephone Co. building would replace this structure.
Camp American University by StreetsofWashington
Camp American University was said to be “the largest research and development facility for chemical weapons anywhere in the world during the First World War.” This postcard view shows Hurst Hall, completed in 1902, one of two buildings that had been completed at AU at the time (McKinley Hall, 1907, still had an unfinished interior). The dirt road in the foreground is Nebraska Avenue.
National Metropolitan Bank (1873) by StreetsofWashington
Bricklayer J.P. Childs wrote this check to himself in November 1873, drawing against a joint account he had with his partner John E. Herrell. A brief history of the venerable National Metropolitan Bank is at www.streetsofwashington.com/2012/08/the-oldest-national-b…
Le Petit Paris by StreetsofWashington
Marcel Cadeaux (1904-1987), a native of Casablanca, Morocco, opened Le Petit Paris, at 1215 Connecticut Avenue NW, in 1965. The Evening Star’s John Rosson thought the chic little cafe was so authentic, “we’d have sworn we were dining in Paris.” The atmosphere was aided by hostess Jacqueline Rodier, a veteran of Chez Francois and Le Rive Gauche. Le Petit Paris proved very popular and continued in business into the 1970s.
National Benefit Life Insurance Co. by StreetsofWashington
Here’s another postcard view of the offices of the pioneering National Benefit Life Insurance Company. Full history is at: www.streetsofwashington.com/2019/11/the-rise-and-fall-of-…
Holmes Bakery by StreetsofWashington
For a history of the Holmes Bakery, once one of the city’s largest, see: www.streetsofwashington.com/2020/06/the-holmes-modern-bak…
Stach’s Inc (1938) by StreetsofWashington
Philip Stach had just moved his shoe store to a new location on 11th Street in 1938 when he had new advertising postcards, including this one, printed. His previous location, in the National Theater building, was called Stach’s Ground Gripper Shoe Shoppe, a mouthful.
Boston Variety Store by StreetsofWashington
Here is an 1880 trade card from the Boston Variety Store, the first store that Samuel Woodward and Alvin Lothrop opened in Washington. It would grow to become the city’s most iconic department store. Read more at: www.streetsofwashington.com/2010/11/woodward-lothrop-sent…
Charles Sumner School by StreetsofWashington
Stereoview photograph of the Charles Sumner School at 17th and M Streets NW, completed in 1872 and designed by Adolf Cluss. It was the first permanent school building constructed for African American students.
L.P. Steuart & Bro. by StreetsofWashington
Leonard P. Steuart (1879-1966) and his brother Guy T. Steuart (1880-1958) owned and operated many automobile-related businesses in the Washington area. This late 1940s Calso gasoline matchcover was from one of them. Calso later became Chevron.
Carlton Garage (c. 1925) by StreetsofWashington
The six-story Carlton Garage, on Vermont Avenue south of Thomas Circle, opened in 1925. Built by Harry Wardman, it was said to be the largest garage south of New York. Two years later, it was renamed the Thomas Circle Garage, and then in 1931 the building was leased to the Hall and Tibbitts Ford dealership, ending its career as a public parking garage.
de Rooy’s Sea Food Grill (1931) by StreetsofWashington
Dutch-born Karel Frederick de Rooy (1893-1954) immigrated to the U.S. at a young age and served in the U.S. Army in France during World War I. In the 1920s he worked at O'Donnell’s Seafood Grill on E Street before opening his own restaurant at 14th and L around 1931, when this postcard was published.
Women’s City Club by StreetsofWashington
The Women’s City Club, formed in 1919, occupied this handsome Victorian townhouse at 736 Jackson Place NW (west side of Lafayette Square) from 1919 to 1943. The townhouse was originally built in 1869. A replica stands on the site today.
Thomas E Clark Plumbing and Heating (c. 1951) by StreetsofWashington
Dramatic Hopper-style postcard view of the Thomas E. Clark plumbing store at 4434 Connecticut Ave NW, near Albemarle Street. Thos. E. Clark was in this space by 1950; this postcard was mailed in 1951. The building, which now houses the popular Bread Furst bakery, was constructed in 1930 for the Sanitary Grocery Company.
Market Square by StreetsofWashington
Late 19th century stereoview of what was then Market Square along Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 7th Streets NW. It was called “Market Square” because it was an open space in front of the huge Center Market, which is out of view to the right. This view is from south of Pennsylvania Avenue at 9th Street. The rows of storefronts on the other side of Pennsylvania Avenue are where the Navy Memorial is now.
Laurel MD Main Street and Washington Blvd by StreetsofWashington
Going a little bit afield on a Sunday morning: Here’s a 1930s postcard of the intersection of Main Street and Washington Boulevard in Laurel, Maryland. The frame hotel building is gone, but the Patuxent Bank building remains. Unfortunately, the elegant engaged columns on the facade have been removed.
Gibraltar Apartments by StreetsofWashington
The Gibraltar apartment house, located on the northeast corner of 18th Street and Kalorama Road NW in Adams Morgan, was built in 1910 and designed by architect Dan B. Miller. It is of salmon-colored brick with Indiana limestone trim, but you wouldn’t know it. The building is now painted sky blue.