My collection of clothing references for writing.
Ya know what , I’m adding. Here are more useful references that I use;
🤺 bahdink 🤺 bahdink 🤺 bahdink
Little swordsmen, they’re literally just vibing and I love them
Hey guys! As a writer myself, it’s hard to have a lot of resources for writing in one place. That’s why I decided to create this masterpost, and maybe make more if I find future resources. I hope you like it, and expect to see more masterposts like this in the future!
- Appearance Generator
- Archetypes Generator
- Character Generator
- Character Traits Generator
- Family Generator
- Job/Occupation Generator, (II)
- Love Interest Generator
- Motive Generator
- Name Generator
- Personality Generator, (II)
- Quick Character Generator
- Super Powers Generator
- Brand Name Generator
- Medicine Title Generator
- Name Generator
- Quick Name Generator
- Vehicle Generator
- Town Name Generator
- First Encounter Generator
- First Line Generator, (II)
- Plot Generator, (II), (III)
- Plot Device Generator
- Plot Twist Generator
- Quick Plot Generator
- City Generator
- Fantasy Race Generator
- Laws Generator
- Pet Generator
- Setting Generator
- Species Generator
- Terrain Generator
- Color Generator
- Decision Generator
- Dialogue Generator
- Journey Generator
- Title Generator, (II), (III)
Just a few I found from the writing tips tag!
- Writing action / @berrybird
- How to create a strong voice in your writing / @collegerefs
- How to plot a complex novel in one day! / @lizard-is-writing
- 8 ways to get past writer’s block / @kiramartinauthor
- psa for writers / @dasakuryo
- ”Write Using Your 5 Senses” / @ambientwriting
- How People Watching Improves Your Writing / @wherethetransthingsare
- Writing Science Fiction: Tips for Beginners / @fictionwritingtips
- Creating Likeable Characters / @authors-haven
- Descriptive words / @somekindofstudent
- Words to replace “Said” / @msocasey
- Obscure color words / @mintsteelpeachlilac
- Words to spice up your stories / @busyibee
- Words to describe someone’s voice
- Words to Use Instead of Very / @gaybybirth
- Touchy Feely Words / @gaybybirth
- Stephen King’s Top 20 Rules for Writers
- ”But my plot isn’t UNIQUE or BIG enough!” / @youreallwrite
- 8 Things Every Creative Should Know / @adamjk
- (How To) Get Over Comparing Yourself to Other Creatives / @adamjk
- How to Get Over Common Creative Fears (Maybe) / @adamjk
- 14 Tips From Stephen King On Writing / @i-can-give-you-prompts
- Electronic Thoughts / @eruditekid
- “Mix About Writing” An Instrumental Mix / @shadowofemirates
- Shut Up, I’m Writing! / @ninadropdead
- Chill / @endlessreveries
- Breathtaking Film Scores / @tweedskirts
- Music to Write to Vol. 1: Starlight / @crestadeen
- Music for Written Words / @ghoulpatch
- Dead Men Tell No Tales / @scamandersnewt
- Fatale / @dolcegf
- All These Things that I’ve Done / @referenceforwriters
- Feeling Soaking into Your Bones / @verylondon
- I Can Feel Your Pulse in the Pages / @rphelper
- Morally Ambiguous / @scamandersnewt
- Wonderwall / @wheelerwrites
- Pythia / @mazikeene
- Ballet: To Dance / @tanaquil
Websites and Apps
- ZenPen: A minimalist writing website to keep you free of distractions and in the flow.
- The Most Dangerous Writing App: A website where you have to keep typing or all of your writing will be lost. It helps you keep writing…kind of. You can choose between a time or word count limit!
- Evernote: An online website where you can take notes and save the product to your laptop and/or smartphone!
- Writer, the Internet Typewriter: It’s just you and your writing, and you can save your product on the website if you create an account.
- Wordcounter: A website to help check your word and character count, and shows words you’re using frequently.
- Monospace: An Android app for writing on the go when you feel the inspiration, but you don’t have your laptop on you!
- Tide: An app that combines a pomodoro-esque timer with nature sounds and other noises! (Google Play / Apple Store)
- ClearFocus: An Android app with a pomodoro-type time counter to let you concentrate easier and stay productive.
- Forest: An app with a time counter to keep you focused and off your phone, and when you complete the time limit, a tree grows in your garden! (Google Play / Apple Store)
- SelfControl: A Mac downloadable app that blocks you from distracting mail servers, websites, and other things!
Writing Tips Blogs
If you write, you already know that it’s not always easy. Being consistent and motivated is pretty hard sometimes.
What if I told you, scheduling might help keep you on track?
I’m wary of saying that everything will work for writers, because the truth is, we’re all different. The very mention of the word “deadline” could make one writer frazzled and another confident. But I figured, if an author who is writing for a publishing house has to meet deadlines and that’s how they get their books out, then why can’t I set my own to keep myself on track?
So that’s what I did.
Hey um, does anyone know what kinds of plants one could use in medicinal healing. Specifically ones to slow bleeding and prevent an infection.
Ya know for….reasons….
Shepherd’s Purse - slows bleeding because of high vitamin K content, and you use it in a poultice.
Marsh Fivefinger - also used as a poultice/salve
Nettle, once dried and powdered - you can use the whole plant to help stop the bleeding, including internal bleeding.
Wintergreen/Pyrola - fresh as a spit poultice, since the juice has the properties to stop bleeding. The juice can also be drunk for internal bleeding
Add a bit more. Honey is kinda like a natural antibiotic, and was used to dress wounds in Roman times. And Willow bark can be used as a tea to lower fever and inflammation.
I had no idea honey could be used as an antibiotic! That’s so cool! And willow bark sounds familiar but I definitely didn’t know what it could used for. Ahh this is awesome! Thank you!
Your whump word(s) of the day
“They had to sedate you, sorry. You were a little… panicky.”
Character C from the corner eating chips: “This is your third hospital room.”
Oh btw Yzma is a golden example of a likeable non sympathetic villain. The audience knows she is totally evil and pretty much un redeemable but the writers and character designers did such an excellent job of making her so likeable and visually appealing A fucking plus
Kronks redemption arc has yet to be rivaled nothing can ever fucking compare.
OP did u just fucking call Yzma “visually appealing”?????
In terms of character design Yzma is visually appealing, the artists did a great job picking out colours and perfecting her silhouette. Using those design principles, they created an expressive villain that is fun to watch on screen.
op is absolutely right in that observation, good character design is about good use of shapes, curves and angles. Yzma is a fantastic example of that.
A d we can’t sideline Eartha Kitt for literally breathing life into her character to the point of perfection. Yzma was really was an exemplary villain.
‘visually appealing’ does not equal ‘want to fuck them’
A friend of mine posted this and tagged my old instagram account, asking me to share it. I figured sharing it here where I actually have a following, would be far better.
Please remember that just because the government is giving into pressure and greed, that doesn’t mean that any of this is getting any better, in a lot of ways it’s getting worse. And even if you yourself aren’t being as heavily affected anymore, there are people and communities that are.
Stay safe Darling ones, and help others remain safe too.
Remember: sovereign principalities exist. You don’t have to go to any lengths to explain why your fantasy setting has a princess, but no queen – “Prince/Princess” can just be the reigning monarch’s title.
(Or any other rank, for that matter. Historically, there have been sovereign states with all degrees of monarchs, and many of them have utterly fantastic names. My personal favourite is probably “margraviate”, the term for a sovereign state whose monarch bears the title of Marquis.)
“I don’t need your help,” the antagonist growls as they wrap a bandage around their broken ribs, but their hands are shaking so badly that they drop the roll of bandages. They hold their breath and slide off the table, grimacing as their ribs move sickly under their skin, the movement reigniting the pain into something violent and angry.
The hero sighs and hands them the roll, the antagonist snatches it away, groaning as their body is jostled by the movement. They glare at the hero, “D-don’t you have somewhere else to be?” They spit.
“Nope,” the hero hops up on the table, “If you want to get rid of me you have to let me help you.”
“God you’re annoying,” the antagonist mutters, but they hand the caretaker the roll of bandages, “How did you find me anyway?”
The hero gets off of the table, “I can sense when someone is in pain, when we did the hand-off earlier I could tell something happened,” they were re-wrapping the part that the antagonist had tried to do by themselves, “Want to talk about it?”
“Not with you,” the antagonist grumbled.
The hero’s adept fingers wrap them up easily, and when it’s over the antagonist can breathe a little easier, “M’not gonna thank you.”
“Of course not, that would ruin your charm,” the hero smiles, peeling away the antagonist’s bloody shirt in one quick motion, the antagonist pales and sways as the shirt un-sticks from their wounds. They would have fallen if the hero hadn’t caught them.
“No-not fa-fair,” they wheeze, “Le-lemme go.”
The hero frowns, ignoring them, the antagonist hates the way that the hero’s eyes travel their battered body, like it was something to be pitied.
“Who…Who did this? Why?” the antagonist was surprised to see that the hero’s eyes didn’t hold any contempt. Didn’t the hero know that it was shame to be beaten? That they were a failure?
“’Cause I deserved it,” they growled turning away, “You guys won again.”
“Did your leader do this to you?” Hero went cold imagining the ruthless crime boss that the antagonist worked for, “How can I fix this?”
“You can’t!” The antagonist said darkly, almost like he was threatening the hero, “It would be easier if you got the fuck out of my base!”
The hero shook their head, “Can’t do that now…” they murmured almost to themselves, “Can you walk?”
“Can I walk? Can you mind your own business?!”
The hero smiled at that, “I thought you’d know me well enough by now to answer that yourself,” without warning they scooped the antagonist into their arms, pausing to give the antagonist time to adjust, they let out a groan at being moved, their face losing even more color.
“g-get aw-away,” the antagonist commanded at last, their voice was weak, and the hero could see them struggling to keep their eyes open, “Wh-what are you do-doing?”
“Kidnapping you,” the hero said brightly as they started carrying the antagonist out, “I can’t sit idly by while my favorite jerk gets beat on by their boss, what kind of hero would I be?”
“I-I don’ need y-you,” the antagonist mumbles, wincing.
“Of course not,” the hero smiles, “ I can totally tell that you’ve got this.”
Reluctant Injury Reveals
- Pulling off sunglasses to reveal a black eye
- Pulling off a hat to reveal blood in their hair
- Taking off a jacket to reveal a side wound
- Rolling up sleeves to reveal scars on their arms
- Taking off a shoe to reveal a swollen/broken foot
- Pulling off gloves to reveal cracked/bloody knuckles
So, pretty frequently writers screw up when they write about injuries. People are clonked over the head, pass out for hours, and wake up with just a headache… Eragon breaks his wrist and it’s just fine within days… Wounds heal with nary a scar, ever…
I’m aiming to fix that.
Here are over 100 links covering just about every facet of traumatic injuries (physical, psychological, long-term), focusing mainly on burns, concussions, fractures, and lacerations. Now you can beat up your characters properly!
PubMed: The source for biomedical literature
General overview: Includes degrees
Burn severity: Including how to estimate body area affected
Incisions and Lacerations
Essentials of skin laceration repair (including stitching techniques)
When to stitch (Journal article—Doctors apparently usually go by experience on this)
More about when to stitch (Simple guide for moms)
Incision vs. laceration: Most of the time (including in medical literature) they’re used synonymously, but eh.
Types of lacerations: Page has links to some particularly graphic images—beware!
Puncture wounds: Including a bit about what sort of wounds are most likely to become infected
Wound assessment: A huge amount of information, including what the color of the flesh indicates, different kinds of things that ooze from a wound, and so much more.
Tourniquet use: Controversy around it, latest research
Location pain chart: Originally intended for tattoo pain, but pretty accurate for cuts
General note: Deeper=more serious. Elevate wounded limb so that gravity draws blood towards heart. Scalp wounds also bleed a lot but tend to be superficial. If it’s dirty, risk infection. If it hits the digestive system and you don’t die immediately, infection’ll probably kill you. Don’t forget the possibility of tetanus! If a wound is positioned such that movement would cause the wound to gape open (i.e. horizontally across the knee) it’s harder to keep it closed and may take longer for it to heal.
Setting a broken bone when no doctor is available
General notes: If it’s a compound fracture (bone poking through) good luck fixing it on your own. If the bone is in multiple pieces, surgery is necessary to fix it—probably can’t reduce (“set”) it from the outside. Older people heal more slowly. It’s possible for bones to “heal” crooked and cause long-term problems and joint pain. Consider damage to nearby nerves, muscle, and blood vessels.
Mild Brain Injuries: The next step up from most severe type of concussion, Grade 3
Second impact syndrome: When a second blow delivered before recovering from the initial concussion has catastrophic effects. Apparently rare.
Symptoms: Scroll about halfway down the page for the most severe symptoms
General notes: If you pass out, even for a few seconds, it’s serious. If you have multiple concussions over a lifetime, they will be progressively more serious. Symptoms can linger for a long time.
Snake bites: No, you don’t suck the venom out or apply tourniquettes
When frostbite sets in: A handy chart for how long your characters have outside at various temperatures and wind speeds before they get frostbitten
Poisons: Why inducing vomiting is a bad idea
Dislocations: Symptoms 1, 2; treatment. General notes: Repeated dislocations of same joint may lead to permanent tissue damage and may cause or be symptomatic of weakened ligaments. Docs recommend against trying to reduce (put back) dislocated joint on your own, though information about how to do it is easily found online.
Current CPR practices: We don’t do mouth-to-mouth anymore.
The DSM IV, for all your mental illness needs.
Human response to electrical shock: Includes handy-dandy voltage chart
Acquired savant syndrome: Brain injuries (including a lightning strike) triggering development of amazing artistic and other abilities
Please don’t repost! You can find the original document (also created by me) here.
- every character’s first line should be an introduction to who they are as a person
- even if you only wrote one sentence on a really bad day, that’s still one sentence more than you had yesterday
- exercise restraint when using swear words and extra punctuation in order for them to pack a punch when you do use them
- if your characters have to kiss to show they’re in love, then they’re not in love
- make every scene interesting (or make every scene your favorite scene), otherwise your readers will be just as bored as you
- if you’re stuck on a scene, delete the last line you wrote and go in a different direction, or leave in brackets as placeholders
- don’t compare your first draft to published books that could be anywhere from 3rd to 103rd drafts
- i promise you the story you want to tell can fit into 100k words or less
- sometimes the book isn’t working because it’s not ready to be written or you’re not ready to write it yet; let it marinate for a bit so the idea can develop as you become a better writer
- a story written in chronological order takes a lot more discipline and is usually easier to understand than a story written with flashbacks
One of the few “writing advices lists” that are actually helpful.
tldr: the Internet Archive/WayBack Machine is super important in term of archived content, billions of stuff are on there, and with the current event happening in the world like stated above,without this tool, it will be hard to properly document what took place. It will be easy for certain people to rewrite history. Dont let them.
DONATE HERE (post dont get much exposure with working links sorry)
IF YOU CANT DONATE THEN PLEASE SPREAD THE INFO
On twitter,tumblr,facebook,heck,anywhere you want,this needs to be talked about !
they’re being sued due to putting together an “emergency library”, essentially, in the wake of schools and libraries closing due to covid-19.
you can read about it in a few places. here’s one article on the subject, but there’s plenty to be found.
TUA Fanfiction Prompts
30 Fics we need for our TUA obsession.
Mostly Klaus & Vanya with some Five thrown in. If you write any of these please tag me in it, I have been collecting these for ages. I really wish I wasn’t stuck with writer’s block because this fandom seems amazing and my brain has so many ideas.
1) Ben knew that Klaus could make him corporeal. When Klaus was really high one time someone tried to hurt Klaus and Klaus’ fear (and Ben’s anger) caused Ben to be able to make physical contact to protect his brother
2) A drug dealer is harassing Klaus, Five/Diego finds out. When Klaus runs into the drug dealer again it’s because the man is a ghost and instead of screaming at him the ghost is apologizing and begging Klaus to call off the assassin before he kills his family.
3) Vanya brings home a kitten (or other cute animal) and Luther/Allison/Five is the only one there. They bond over the kitten together.
4) Vanya brings home an injured snake (or other ‘dangerous’ animal) and her and Diego/Klaus/Five bond over it together.
5) When Five needs a legal guardian it becomes obvious that Klaus (and Ben) will have to step up to the plate. Five is not thrilled.
6) Vanya runs into Klaus years after they all moved away, he’s homeless and wearing torn clothes. Vanya takes him shopping, Klaus gets his first skirt that is legally his.
7) Diego takes Grace on a walk and they find a little kid with some type of mutation/obvious power. The kid has been abandoned. Grace insists on becoming her grandmother, Diego ends up being a makeshift father.
8) Five is trying to figure out an equation and can’t figure out why it’s not write. Klaus burst into his room, corrects him, then asks for money. Five is just stunned.
9) Homophobes harass Klaus while he’s out with his family. His siblings were in the diner, Klaus just came out to get Vanya’s wallet from the car but somehow that offended them and now Klaus is on the ground with a busted lip. He looks up and he has never seen Vanya look so angry. Watching his little sister confront the body builder in front of him leaves him feeling worried for the homophobe
10) Five ends up becoming friends with Kenny after Klaus jokingly signs him up for the chess team.
11) “Klaus, how did you know you were gay?” Klaus looked at his sibling in surprise, seeing their nervous expression his eyes softened.
12) Ben gets a crush on a guy, forcing Klaus to talk to him until the guy reveals that he can feel Ben. Klaus just thinks the situation is crazy but Ben’s happy, so Klaus has to play match maker for his dead brother.
13) It’s been years since the Hargreeve siblings went their own way but that doesn’t stop Klaus from being protective. Some druggie wants to mug Vanya, Klaus kicks his but. Klaus goes back and finds out Luther was shipped to the moon, he gets into a big argument with Reginald, Pogo and Grace. Klaus hears someone threatening to frame Diego for being on drugs, Klaus takes the fall. Someone wants to kidnap Claire, his niece, they’re never heard from again.
14) Five being a huge softy with Claire and babysitting her (even though he didn’t want to)
15) Claire learning to throw knives like her Uncle Diego, Claire learning to play Violin like her aunt Vanya, Claire doing Klaus’ makeup and he actually wears it out (her mom never does), Claire baking cookies with her Grandma, Claire thinking talking to a ghost is the best thing ever and having Klaus translate hour long conversations with her uncle Ben.
16) Claire doesn’t like Luther. Says he’s a big meanie, and monkey.
17) When the siblings come home they find the yarn Klaus used to knit all over the house, a giant mess. Five gives a sheepish smile. “Delores wasn’t the only creature with me in the apocalypse.”
18) Vanya can not be pregnant, she can not have Leonard- Harold’s baby. And yet she is. Alison and Luther say she has to keep it, Klaus, Ben and Five say it’s up to her, Diego wants her to get an abortion.
19) Hazel and Agnes fluff fics. All of them.
20) Hazel personally apologizing to Diego for Eudora.
21) Five volunteers his siblings to help protect Agnes from Cha Cha
22) Eudora Patch died because of Klaus. Klaus can’t even bring himself to summon her, not knowing that he’s the reason his brother is heartbroken.
23) Klaus is tortured in front of his siblings eyes
24) Klaus does something he never thought he’d do, he ends up on his sibling’s doorstep begging for food and a place to spend the night.
25) Alison lost contact with Claire, Patrick took her and they dropped off the map. Years later a nine year old Claire shows up on the door step of the Academy. Her father had been abusing her so she had run away.
26) They lost contact after saving the world, it was better this time. They knew each other’s whereabouts and they went to each other in emergencies but didn’t talk much anymore. Klaus was married, Alison had joint custody of Claire, Vanya was in a relationship, Diego had graduated the police academy, Luther had a real job, Five was handling himself. Then, Pogo dies suddenly and they come together for another funeral.
27) Five is overly attached to Delores and Klaus decides to have a conversation with his little brother about feelings and things like that.
28) Luther remembers when he hit his siblings. When he accidentally grabbed to hard and bruised or broke. When he got angry and threw stuff at them. The worst time though, the worst time was when he wrapped his hands around Klaus’ neck and squeezed. All over drugs.
29) Klaus recognizes the signs of addiction manifesting in his little brother so when Five passes out on the bar he wakes up to all the liquor missing.
30) They’re all the same age but they don’t see each other that way. They’re all older and younger than the other. Vanya has always been the youngest, Klaus the second youngest. But maybe that’s changed now that they’re adults, or maybe it’s stayed the exact same. The siblings reflect on this.
I love these so much!!!
When the magic user overexerts themself so much that they don’t even actually realize how bad it is. One of their friends has to point out to them that there’s blood trickling from their nose, and Whumpee can only smear it with two fingers and look at the blood in dazed surprise. “Oh…” they say faintly. Then their legs turn to jello and they crumple.
when a character is crying and:
>> they’re so wracked with sobs that they to struggle to breathe between them
>> it makes their ribs ache in the aftermath
>> their eyes/nose/cheeks get all flushed and swollen
>> their nose becomes so clogged up with tears, it makes it even harder for them to breathe
>> they’re just dribbling tears, snot and drool all over themselves, in too much pain to bother wiping anything away
>> it leaves their voice cracked and rasping, wavering and thick with swallowed tears
>> their sobbing is almost soundless but it makes their entire body shudder all the more violently
>> they hug their arms and fold in on themselves into a tight ball of anguish
>> they’re holding on to a loved one for support and press their face into the other person’s chest to muffle the sound
What are the Do’s and Dont’s when writing an autistic character??? 🤔
huh that’s a good question. as an autistic writer i don’t… really have experience having to ask this, because my pov is autistic by default. let’s see…
anyone else have advice for allistic writers writing autistic characters? Also, any good recommendations for fics with autistic characters? one that stands out to me is ‘true, and unafraid of toil’, a fantastic beasts fic about an autistic newt scamander.
Ship dynamics that I’ll never get tired of:
- Idiot x Tolerant Sweetheart
- Idiot x Tired of their crap
- Best Friends to lovers
- Both panicking about their feelings
- Delinquent soft for the pure one
- Flustered Wreck x Smug Flirt
- Two warriors who rely on eachother
- Monster x normie
- Low energy x happy sunshine
- Elegant beauty x some gremlin
- Just two reckless idiots
- Chill x Dramatic
Oddly specific whump trope V
The whumpee gasping a little as the whumper stabs them in the gut. The whumpee clinging to the knife and looking up at the whumper in horror, their faces only inches apart. The whumper stepping away, leaving the whumpee to slowly collapse to the ground, a pool of blood already forming.