I realized there is no master post for people who aren’t in recovery and are still suffering from an ED. This IS NOT a pro eating disorder post, this is a list of how to be safe when you are truly struggling and you are not planning on getting help:
1. Don’t brush your teeth or use mouthwash after you purge, it will only destroy your enamel further and lessen your chances of ever having good oral health again.
2. Use an ointment (like Aquaphor) for your cracked lips, it won’t burn as much as chapstick does. (This can also help with Russell’s syndrome on your knuckles.)
3. Always keep gum or mints in your backpack, purse or your pocket so you won’t feel self conscious after purging. In public.
4. Always carry eye drops with you, if you can’t control yourself from purging, use the drops before you do it so your eyes will be less red and irritated.
5. Please drink water so you do not pass out.
6. NEVER EVER use a spoon, fork, toothbrush or other object to help yourself throw up, his is EXTREMELY dangerous.
7. Public restrooms are dirty, keep wipes in your bag so you can wipe the toilet down before you lean over it.
8. If you’re afraid someone is going to see you in the stall on your knees, stand up and lean over instead.
9. Seriously, don’t start using laxatives for purging, but if you already have, make sure you at least write down and track how many and how much you’ve used in a month or weeks time.
10. Your esophagus is fragile, your esophagus can become burnt and torn from stomach acid, don’t eat acidic foods or drink a lot of coffee the day you purge, this only harms you further. Trust me.
1. Drink water, please, if you don’t drink water while you are fasting you will at some point pass out from dehydration.
2. Always keep a safe food with you, I don’t care how weird your safe food is, keep it in your car or your locker or your bag, always.
3. If you’re taking different types of energy pills or green tea pills or caffeine pills don’t drink coffee or anything caffeinated on top of that.
4. Eat something salty, your body is going to crave salt, you probably already know this, but eat a pretzel or a pickle, just something with sodium.
5. If you can’t sleep because of hunger but you refuse to eat, try yoga or try making some tea and at least adding a small amount of honey.
6. If your hair is falling out, use coconut oil or a hair mask to try and keep it moisturized.
7. When you are out to eat with family and you are trying to avoid most of the menu, stick to pasta or rice dishes rather than salad, it’s less awkward and easier to order in a situation like this where you might ask for half of the salad toppings to be removed.
8. Diet Coke is your lifeline, I know, but try to drink more tea or water or even coffee. Diet soda is awful for your liver and it can only make you crash harder.
9. If you feel yourself giving into a craving, be careful of how you give in, don’t look at this cave as a reason to starve yourself for a longer period of time. Don’t compete with yourself.
10. Sleep, often. Don’t drive a car if you are tired or dazed from fasting. You can harm yourself and others.
Please add to this list master list. I’m not looking for any type of pro and support or “tips” just safety precautions that should be kept in mind.
i am a huge proponent of practicing harm reduction until one is ready to seek help. please practice harm reduction and please stay safe.
and please get help when you are ready to seek it. help is there. i love you be safe!!!!!
rebloging because this is very helpful and saftey is important !!!! stay safe everyone