2.5 minutes of Martin Blackwood diabolically plotting against Jonathan Sims. Spoilers through 106.
(Or: a supercut of times when Martin’s crush was visible from space to literally everyone except the person whose job it is to Know Things.)
1. Jon: I’ve been watching Martin. He’s been very attentive to my needs and recovery since I returned to work, almost to the exclusion of his own tasks.
2. Jon: I tried to come back earlier but Martin wouldn’t hear of it. Almost threw me out of the archive.
3. Martin: …I’m sorry I left you.
Jon: …Oh Martin.
Martin: [Tearful] It was an accident. I thought you two were with me! I mean, the worms came at us, and they were so much faster, and then there was the gas, and the running, and I just… I, I thought you were right behind me. But when I turned round you were gone.
4. Martin: Are you feverish? We should probably get you to a doctor. Look, there’s a walk-in centre nearby, I can—
5. Martin: I just worry. You needed five stitches after you “accidentally” stabbed yourself with the bread knife. If you’re still claiming that’s what happend.
Jon: I am.
Martin: Then you’ll forgive me for worrying when you use sharp knives.
Jon: (Sighs) Fine.
6. Daisy: Everyone I’ve talked to says you and him were close.
Martin: What? [Inordinately pleased] Did they? I mean… I mean, who said that? I, I, I guess, I mean, more than the rest, yeah okay, but—
7. Martin: What he’s doing seems really dangerous. And I get that he’s worried about us. I mean, we worry about him as well… I worry.
8. Elias: Everyone was working on finding the ritual site.
Jon: You didn’t tell them I’d been kidnapped, though, did you?
Elias: It wouldn’t have helped matters. Martin’s research, at least, would have been sloppier.
9. Martin: Look I’m, I’m so sorry, John, I— Elias didn’t even tell any of us that you’d been kidnapped. I didn’t know— No one else was telling me— And there wasn’t any—
Jon: Oh. Hey. Hey, hey, hey… It’s alright, it’s alright. Elias didn’t tell anyone, there was, there was no way you could have known.
10. Melanie: And anyway, Martin’s always been lovely to you.
Basira: Mm. I don’t know, you should have seen him when I turned up last year. I think he thought I was trying to steal his precious archivist.
Melanie: Ahhh. I got the exact same when Jon was hiding out and came to me with his “saw it on the inside” stuff. Martin was not impressed.
11. Basira: Hell, I like the guy.
Martin: Wait, you mean like you actually—?
Basira: What? No, urgh, no! Why does everyone think that?
Martin: Right, yeah, ‘cause I don’t actually… I don’t actually think he…
Basira: I just, I mean he was good company. Y’know, when he wasn’t being a paranoia machine.
Martin: (suddenly very short) Right. Well, I’m sure it’ll get sorted out when Daisy brings him in and you can probably talk to him then. Oh, sorry, I forgot you’re not actually with the police any more, are you.
12. Basira: That boy needs to relax.
Melanie: Or at least find someone else to fuss over.
Basira: Yeah, he’s got it bad.
13. Jon: Is he playing the fool? Purposefully failing in his tasks to delay or hinder my investigations? It’s possible.
…I will keep my eye on Martin.