we all have a limit to the bad things characters can do until we’re not comfortable liking them but tbh some of you are just super fucking boring
THEY’RE NAMED GIRL NAMES BECAUSE YOU GET MILK FROM FEMALE DAIRY COWS
CHRIST, IT AIN’T THAT DEEP
Personally I would be happy to know my yogurt was coming from a place that cared enough about its livestock to not only give then names, but to properly credit them in the finished product.
Personally I would be happy to know my yoghurt wasn’t milked from a bull
dr might have issues with how it depicts women but a. it never set out to be a feminist story, and b. rarely if ever does the self-proclaimed feminist part of the fanbase ever try to do anything better with the female characters they think are apparently bad, aside from ‘i put her in pants! :)’ and calling it a fucking day
even the “feminist” section of this fanbase is abysmally misogynistic; either acknowledging the women are well written and nuanced but you don’t like their outfits and reducing them to their appearance, or you’re saying that the women aren’t written well, but suggesting that slapping pants and a store’s worth of hair accessories and demonias on them will suddenly make them complex characters and feminist icons
people need to shit on rural rich people more. rural rich people are all like “i’m hardy countryfolk because i don’t live in a city i’m so rugged my family owns a ranch that i never worked on but i visit i’m very off he earth which is why my big ass pickup is totally spotless i’m one the toughskinned people which is why i have a stable of horses like a cowboy except the horses are just pets and for competitions and i don’t realize owning horses just for those purposes is like one of the oldest symbols of ostentatious wealth”
This bitch named Hunter works at the same store I do and he’s all “oh I’m a COUNTRY boy, I live on a FARM.” Buddy, your barn is bigger than the apartment complex across the street and meticulously well painted, you live literally two blocks outside of town, you AND your dad have boosted Ford F-150s that haven’t ever seen a speck of mud, and you bragged to me today you were going to the JOHN DEERE DEALERSHIP TO PICK UP THE WORLD’S LARGEST GRAIN TRAILER FOR YOUR 10 ACRES OF FUCKING LAND. YOUR DAD DOESN’T EVEN HUNT ON HIS OWN DAMN PROPERTY. YOU’VE NEVER DONE REAL FARM WORK IN YOUR LIFE. IF I ASKED YOU TO HAUL HAY BALES INTO THAT SHOWBOAT OF A FUCKING TRUCK I THINK YOU’D CRY. YOUR HEAD IS SHAPED LIKE A GOURD, HUNTER, A GOURD.
not only do i support lil nas x appropriating characters and symbols from christianity to make horny, campy gay hip-hop videos, i think this sets the bar for lgbt media in the future. fuck that “were just like you!” respectability shit. i need all gay artists to make their work exactly as hostile and disrespectful to the christian right as the christian right has been to gay people for all of its history.
Honestly the whiplash of seeing the beginning of “do you love the color of the sky” and absolutely flinging yourself further down the dashboard at light speed to scroll past it, only to discover that it’s the shortened version and you now have to gingerly scroll back up to the posts you missed? Arguably a funnier prank than the original
ive been on tumblr a long time and i remember when everyone said “oh don’t romanticize mental illness” and it was agreed that doing that was gross and a good way to kill people indirectly
but somehow we’ve come full circle and there are people who legit defend their right to be anti-recovery there are people who don’t want to get better and spread the idea that you can’t get better as if it’s gospel and it’s fucking frightening to me bc nobody seems to want to say “hey? this is toxic and untrue and is your disease speaking, and it’s not something you should accept.”
and i feel like every recovery post gets about 500 of these people saying “this isn’t something that will work” “cool karen i’m depressed” “maybe it worked for you but it won’t work for other people” and that’s… just… im so sorry if you’re 15. i’m sorry if you’re in high school and watching grown adults tell you it doesn’t get better. that nobody says that with time and help and patience the world stops being so heavy, that accepting your illness as a fact is one thing but accepting it as the only way to be is just wrong, that you can learn to live with it and still find some degree of “happy”…. if i had seen this shit back when i was … oh god starting at 12 when i was already self-harming …. i think i’d have actually honest-to-god killed myself. not a joke, not a funny tumblr punchline, i would have actually just killed myself.
i’m saying this right here and right now to the adults on this site. if you for any reason shoot down positivity that’s causing no harm - you might have indirectly worsened someone else’s condition, and you should try and do better in the future. if you find it necessary to tell people “recovery is a lie”, you need to do better. i know everyone has different circumstances, but i also know that mental illness behaves in such a way that everyone thinks they can’t recover. if you feel like you should be spreading the Word Of Relapse, you are causing toxic language to be normalized and you need to do better.
im team “cool karen ive got depression and that means i’m going to try this because i’ve got to try something” i’m team “romanticize recovery” i’m team “it isn’t working now but it might in the future and it’s worth staying to find out” im team “hey this didn’t work for me but it might help somebody else out”
fuck guys it shouldn’t be an unpopular opinion to say “i don’t want any of you to die”.
Oh thank fuck someone finally said it!
That’s actually a brilliant idea, even from a strict effectiveness standpoint.
Pity they got shut down.
Just goes to show how much data facebook/insta collect about you that gets sent to advertisers. Also facebook responded by effectively saying ‘yes we collect the data but we dont allow advertisers to say that they’re using this data’ after trying to accuse Signal of pulling a ‘PR stunt’. Facebook is so scummy.
I just reread The Hunger Games Trilogy, and I have some thoughts about why they work so well and so many others just don’t.
- Katniss Is Lucky: At every turn Katniss gets lucky. This isn’t a “anyone could have done this but no one’s tried before” or “main characters is special in some way” story. If Katniss’s name had been called instead of Prim’s, she probably wouldn’t have won. If anyone other then Peeta had been called she wouldn’t have won. If Cinna had picked any other year to become a stylist she wouldn’t have won. If her father hadn’t been a hunter she wouldn’t have won. If Madge didn’t give her the pin (how Rue decided to trust her) she wouldn’t have won. I can’t really explain why this is so important to me, but it is. Katniss isn’t special or super powered. She’s lucky.
- Katniss Is A Symbol and 13 Has an Army: Katniss is not a rebel leader. There isn’t a group of ragtag teenagers who follow her and take on a corrupt government all on their own. She’s a symbol to inspire the people in the districts to fight, but no one ever puts her in charge of an army. Why should they? She’s a 17 year old, traumatized, child. The only time we do see Katniss lead is at the end of Mockingjay, and then it’s a group of about ten people, most of who end up dead and the mission doesn’t succeed. More importantly, 13 beats the capital because they have a fully functioning, highly trained, military ready to go.
- These Are CHILDREN: Yes, every young adult story focuses on a teenager, but so many of these stories seem to forge they’re talking about teenagers. They act as if they are twenty somethings, or in the society set up you are considered an adult at 16. The Hunger Games hammers you over the head with the fact that these are kids. Katniss goes to school. I do not know a single hunger games rip off where the main character goes to completely normal every day school.
- The Death’s Aren’t Shock Value: Yes, Prim’s death is shocking. It’s heartbreaking. I knew it was coming and still cried. That’s not why it’s there though. The point is how far Coin is willing to go to make sure Katniss is on her side. Everyone else’s deaths also have a point. Finnick and the others on Katniss’s team show the sacrifice people are willing to make for the cause and for Katniss. Cinna to show Katniss what happens when she resists. Rue is the cruelty of the game. Madge, the cruelness of the capital.
- The Goal Is Clear: Mazerunner comes to mind with this one. What was the actual goal after the first book? Hell if I know. In The Hunger Games series there’s no fancy plan or convoluted thing they need to do. The plan is simple. Hunger Games and Catching Fire: “Don’t die”. Mockingjay there’s a lot of background stuff happening, but for Katniss the goal is always one thing: kill Snow. Everything she does is a straightforward line to that goal for almost the entire book.
- Gale and Peeta: Both Gale and Peeta are totally realistic and reasonable love interests for Katniss. Neither of them are always nice or always perfect, but it easy to see why Katniss struggles to balance the two of them. There is no clear choice between the two. More importantly, the choice is representative of a larger concept. Katniss herself makes the comparison, saying Gale is rage and Peeta is calm. It’s not just between two guys, it’s between two ways of life and what Katniss needs in her life.
- She Picks Peeta: I can not stress enough how important this is. In any of the knock offs I guarantee you that she would have picked Gale. Or, more accurately what would have happened is they would have switched Gale and Peeta’s personalities. Peeta would have been the angry, tortured, mysterious guy, and Gale would have been the kind, artistic, best friend. In this case, she would have still picked Peeta, but the whole point would have been lost. For all intents and purposes it would have been picking Gale. But no. Katniss picks Peeta. She picks calm and peace rather then giving in to Gale’s anger.
- The other side of the coin: The moment at the end when Katniss realises that Coin is not actually that different from Snow and that the winners are not actually going to dismantle the system, just put themselves in the places of power with all the horribly structures (hunger games included) intact is also extremely important. You do not get meaningful change if you replace the people in power by different people, it doesn’t matter if you’ve been fighting for all the right reasons if all you do with your victory is take revenge, and that’s a lesson that seems to have flown over a lot of people’s heads, sadly.
“Things that would kill a medieval peasant,” bro shut up, these people lived off of homegrown crops, hard bread and moldy cheese, they watched executions for fun. Your shitty “Feral White Girl” playlist isn’t going to hurt them, they’ll probably call your taste in music garbage and then drop some sick beats on the lute.
I’ve learned from this post that most of you don’t know a lot about history but I admire the confidence you have despite the lack of research.
I wish this feeling upon everyone who wants to wear a dress, its really the best
this makes me so happy as a fat hairy guy who likes skirts and dresses i never get to see guys like me in dresses it’s always skinny twinks this makes me so happy 🥺🥺
GEORGE: You know Jerry, I gotta say, I’m pretty UNNERVED at the impossible hallway outside your door.
JERRY: What do you mean, impossible?
GEORGE: I mean, in the dimensions of this building, it should not exist! It is a thing that should not be!
JERRY: George, that’s ridiculous, you walk through there all the time.
GEORGE: And yet I cannot grasp how I manage to move through that space! It’s a NonEuclidean hallway Jerry! NonEuclidean!
JERRY: What, you’re crazy, I think that hallway is VERY Euclidean! It’s a perfectly Euclidean hallway!
***KRAMER bursts through the door, somehow he is upside down***
JERRY: Kramer, do you think our hallway is NonEuclidean?
KRAMER: Oh, you’re just putting that together now, huh?
“oh yeah, that’s good be a really good snipe-”
this is the person they hire to do insanely pre-scripted E3 gameplay trailers
Okay. This seems pretty insane if you don’t know what the existing state of terminally ill patients’ options is. So let’s go over that.
Terminally ill patients can sign up to be part of pre FDA approval trials for treatments which might potentially cure them. As these treatments are experimental, untested, not guaranteed to get results, and intended to provide profit to the medical provider in the long run, patients cannot be charged for these experimental treatments. As it should be. It’d be pretty unethical to get people to pay you to be your guinea pig for treatments which may not even help them.
This “right to try” law changes that. It makes it legal for terminally ill patients to be charged for experimental treatments. Furthermore, it removes FDA testing restrictions from the process. Currently a company which tries an ‘experimental’ treatment they know won’t work will get the hammer dropped on them by the FDA. But under this new process, medical providers would be legally allowed to provide ‘treatments’ they know won’t work, without oversight. This would legalize medical predation on terminally ill patients.
Labeling this bill ‘right to try’ makes it seem like terminally ill patients aren’t allowed to seek out experimental treatments right now. But they are! All this bill does is make a terminally ill patients more financially burdened and more vulnerable to predation.
That’s why the Democrats blocked it.
Thank you for explaining it
Reblogging for EXPLANATION
Yeah… let’s NOT let companies make terminally ill patients pay for “experimental treatments” they already know don’t work…
steven universe really said that social problems are systemic, widespread throughout society in a chain of social learning and unlearning, not the fault of one individual Bad Person, and y'all still called it neoliberal because it didnt undermine that point by making it about killing a Bad Guy
steven universe: unlearning oppressive behaviors and realizing your own flawed thinking and actions in an unfair system that made you this way (while forgiving yourself!) allows for true societal transformation on both a systemic & individual level <3
y'all: this is neoliberal statu quo crap because i didnt get my Bad Guy Punishment symbol politics. it focused on the actual transformation of society & how you can unlearn social conditioning, even though its obviously more important to punish than help. i’m a leftist btw.
personally I don’t think if you’re a kid you should be using your real name on the internet. very easy for people to find out too much about you. instead you should spend years using a different made-up name that becomes part of your persona to an arguably even greater degree than your actual name and then when you grow up and find out you’re trans you have a ready-made name to switch to even if it’s probably like Leaf or something
Ao3 should automatically filter out content with inc*st" or p*dophilia, full stop. You should have to opt into seeing that, not opt out. The youngest people using ao3 aren’t on tumblr and aren’t going to know to filter out every variation of “underage” “inc*st” or “loli” or whatever the fuck under the sun. I’m dead serious when I say that people on both sides of the issue should agree with this. You want to see that shit? Click some kind of button in filters that says “include underaged content” or whatever.
hey writers if you want to make a metaphor for racism, please maybe remember that racism is literally based on nothing. Africans weren’t enslaved en masse because the Robo-Musa threatened to destroy the world, they were enslaved because it was economically rewarding and politically convenient. If at any point your allegory for racism includes “so <oppressed group> did this major catastrophe and” then you have not only missed the point but you are literally reinforcing the ideas that racism have let racism self-perpetuate (that e.g. black people are naturally dangerous and violent and must be contained or begrudgingly accepted by the Nice White People)
TIL Judith Love Cohen, who helped create the Abort-Guidance System which rescued the Apollo 13 astronauts, went to work on the day she was in labor. She took a printout of a problem she was working on to the hospital. She called her boss and said she finished the problem and gave birth to Jack Black
That last two words catch you like a chair to the back.