for people who are unaware of why the riots in minneapolis started happening, here’s the facts:
- it wasn’t george floyd’s protesters who started reacting violently; it was the cops.
- the protest was peaceful until the cops showed up in riot gear, and started using water cannons, followed up by tear gas and rubber bullets. i got videos from friends who were there, of people screaming and running away from the cops shooting the water cannons, rubber bullets and throwing tear gas at them. they were even shooting at the protesters dragging people away to get medical attention.
- speaking of medical attention, dispatch refused to provide any medical attention to the protesters. people literally had to drive their bleeding friends to the hospital because they refused to send ambulances.
- cops are using non-lethal weapons in a lethal way. they shot rubber bullets into people’s heads and injured them. there’s dozens of photos of protesters with bleeding head wounds from the rubber bullets.
- multiple people used police scanners and heard that there were undercover cops pretending to be violent protesters who were throwing rocks and whatnot at the police, with dozens of eyewitness accounts confirming that information.
- the person who instigated all the chaos last night (it was a fire at an autozone) with the looting and burning buildings is highly suspected to be an undercover cop pretending to be a protester, because the video of him keeps getting taken down. protesters tried to stop him but couldn’t because he had a hammer and they were scared for their safety.
- the cops jammed cell phone towers and cut live streams to interrupt broadcasts and to prevent people from seeing what was really going on and who actually started the violence.
- the cops lied about protesters being armed and about throwing rocks and are literally trying to continue the violence happening and yet no one is holding them accountable for that.
- and during all this, the cop that murdered george floyd still hasn’t been arrested. he has had more than ten complaints filed against him and was involved in three other civilian shootings in the past. and yet he’s still out free along with his three other buddies involved, probably sitting on his couch while all this chaos is happening.
so don’t get it twisted. the cops just want to change the narrative to make it look like they’re the wounded and righteous party, when they’re the ones who started reacting violently in the first place and are still acting violently. so don’t you ever forget who started this tragedy and murdered someone, and who are continuing to react to the situation with violence.
i know everyone’s said this already but the cruelty of subjecting people to tear gas during a respiratory infection pandemic is unparalleled. i’m not a doctor but i imagine the lethality associated with it will massively increase as a result
This gets more bananas. That was a marginal tax rate. As in, each increasing amount of tax only applies to the chunk of change you earn over each income level. There was then a super tax that applied only to the most extreme high income earners.
So the Beatles got mad, they wrote Taxman, and they ended up forming a couple of corporations to avoid the income tax rates and pay corporate tax rates that maxed out at 30%… and turn most of the profits into capital gains. Those corporations were formed around their songwriting, and therefore the corporations held the rights to their songs.
Pretty shorty after that, they took the companies public, sold shares in the stock market, and they all sold a bunch of their shares to avoid a new capital gains tax. Suddenly, the Beatles held between 1.6% and 15% of the rights to their own songs.
And then Michael Jackson came along with his scads of money and bought up the rights. So he held more of their song rights than they did.
I’d heard the last part of the story, always as a “woe, poor Beatles” narrative. But today I learned that they ended up in that situation because of pure greed that stretched and strained and did every legally and morally gray thing possible to avoid paying their goddamn taxes…keeping the taxes for their highest earning bracket that were supposed to be helping middle income and struggling citizens out of the economy, while those same people scraped together their money to buy their albums.
I find myself with very little sympathy for rich white men who want to be richer.
i’m counting at least four dead giveaways and another obvious cop
- visible vest under his shirt
- handcuffs in back pocket
- hideous shoes that literally only cops wear
- thin blue line wristband
- backwards yankees cap
- armband on his left arm almost certainly covering a blue line/punisher skull tat
- guy on the right side of the photo also wearing a vest and same wristband on both wrists
the white armband is to signal to other plainclothes/undercover officers who is also undercover. keep spreading this.
Anyone reblogging this, today’s (5/30) armband color is Orange
Some tips for those of you who are protesting just to stay safe. Please remember to cover all of your tattoos, piercings, and really any recognizable features you may have. Turn your location off so no one can track you and have atleast two written emergency contacts.
If the police begin utalizing tear gas use a combination of 50% water and 50% Maalox/liquid antacid).
For pepper spray use dawn dish soap and water, vegetable oil, or milk in a spray bottle.
***edit: please feel free to add more tips and make sure to read the comments for helpful additions!
I’m considering coming out to my family as non-binary, and so today I brought up the subject of non-binary gendering/transgendering with my Dad as a casual conversational topic. He’s told me that if somebody is born a boy then they “should stay a fucking boy” and not trans to a girl or be a boy some days/girl other days/genderless other days.
I told him that I think gender identity should be something one can choose for themselves, and he says that nobody thinks like that and anybody who is trans/non-binary will just be shunned by every member of society they meet. He doesn’t think that people support n-b/t communities, because he doesn’t. He says to me that not staying one’s natural gender is wrong and against the point of being born a boy/girl.
Every person who reblogs this will have their URL written in a full-size writing book and when it is full I will show it to my father to illustrate to him the amount of people who believe that being non-binary is a valid gender identity.
I’d open with its a painting but it moves. (It’s enchanted to move?) Uh, sure. (Witchcraft!) I am stoned. Let’s try again. I’d open with its many paintings put together in succession so it has the appearance of movement. Demonstrate by drawing a simple page flip animation of a fish swimming in the margin of a book. Okay. So this buff cat. You see the cat’s head on the muscular man’s body? (Is this an Egyptian god?) Uh, no. It’s just like, we don’t have that shit anymore. I mean, so much time has passed, its pretty much fallen out of the cultural milieu here. (Existential crisis. I get him some tea. He spits it out cuz he thinks it’s disgusting.) ok buddy. So. You good to keep going? Okay so. It’s many paintings in quick succession so it appears to move, and you control its movement. Not the whole painting. Just the cat. He moves around on this landscape. The point of controlling the cat’s movement is like the point of a war game. Loosely. (So you practice war? Sharp nod. War.) Uh, okay. So then, when you get your little man to kill someone, that’s good, right. (What is he doing now?) Oh he’s dancing. You can make him do a little dance after he kills someone. (It’s inappropriate to do a little dance after you take a man’s life.) Okay but it’s not actually — (it’s INNAPROPRIATE. I spit on this). He spits at my laptop.
….well? don’t leave us hanging 👀
Zoned out for twenty min thinking about how I’d explain fortnite to an ancient Roman
i read the sentence “abusers groom their character witnesses as carefully as they groom their victims” (in a comment thread in response to a “but i know [the accused] and hes such a nice man!!”) and it’s blowing my mind a weird amount even though i guess i already knew that
It’s true and everyone should say it.
in the wake of yet another black person being murdered by police, here’s a list of relevant fundraisers and organizations that could use your support right now.
this is specifically a call to action for fellow white people. if you’re white and you’re in any way able to, donate.
- George Floyd’s memorial fund
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: “We value a society that values its people, their freedom and recognizes their contribution to the greater good. A society that does not condition pretrial freedom on class or identity, that has ended mass incarceration, and that invests in restorative and transformative justice.”
- Black Visions Collective, an org that strives to “shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota. We aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, intentionally develop our organizations core DNA to ensure sustainability, and develop Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns.”
- Reclaim the Block, which “organizes Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that truly promote community health and safety. We believe health, safety and resiliency exist without police of any kind. We organize around policies that strengthen community-led safety initiatives and reduce reliance on police departments.”
- Black Lives Matter National
don’t post pictures of unmasked protestors! especially right now! the police don’t need more of a reason to target people who are protesting George Floyd’s death
99% of the protestors ARE masked and y’all are still posting face pics of the ones that aren’t please stop making their images go viral
people are killed for this shit, protests are a unit, not an individual action, stop drawing attention to the individuals
several activists/protesters from Ferguson were murdered. this isn’t a joke people’s lives are really at risk when you do this.
Whether its police retaliation or white supremacists.
A compilation of stuff I know about drawing Asian faces and Asian culture! I feel like many “How-To-Draw” tutorials often default to European faces and are not really helpful when drawing people of other races. So I thought I’d put this together in case anyone is interested! Feel free to share this guide and shoot me questions if you have any! I’m by no means an expert, I just know a few things from drawing experience and from my own cultural background.
This is great! Thank you for such a comprehensive tutorial!
redemption arcs do not rely on forgiveness! if a character is behaving a certain way just to be forgiven, that is not a good redemption arc! redemption arcs rely on people realizing their own behavior was bad and that they need to own up to the consequences. and those consequences can often include a lack of forgiveness!
i feel like so many people misunderstand redemption arcs. they’re not about forgiving past actions. they’re not about softening previous behavior. redemption arcs are about realizing past behavior was heinous and resolving to be better, do better. that’s why so many redemption arcs fall apart upon close scrutiny.
I just gotta tack on that the commonly-cited “pay by suffering” thing is NOT what makes a redemption arc good. I’ve been going batshit with the resurgence of “Zuko’s redemption arc is good because he suffered for what he did before he was allowed to change!!” posts. SUFFERING DOESN’T MAKE ANYONE A BETTER PERSON. Suffering isn’t a requirement of choosing to “be better and do better.” It’s useful in storytelling since it provides catharsis to the audience who hate that character, and potentially soften towards them enough to be willing to get them another chance, but is not a required element of what makes a good redemption arc.
Lateyl, I’ve found myself drawn to stories where someone who is trying to turn their life around is distracted by the idea that they have to suffer to change. They arrange empty penance and seek out contrived situations where they’ll end up hurt. And it helps…no one! Like guilt, it’s useless except for what it produces. It keeps the “redemption arc” an egocentric thing rather than letting their focus turn towards others. It’s easy to track the Christian guilt “they must pay for their sins” cultural origins of this attitude, but it’s a trope I’d be happy to see disappear.