Watched “Don’t Breathe” for the first time. My random thoughts:
1) Probably the first horror movie I’ve seen where I found myself actively rooting for the main characters to die. “But, but...Blind Man is no saint either!” Yeah, yeah, I know. Still doesn’t change the fact that the main characters are pieces of shit that put themselves in this situation.
2) I know that since this is a horror film, Rocky had to be the Final Girl. But of the three, Alex deserved to live. He was the least shitty of the main group and was the only one who was thinking logically.
3) I think the moment where I checked out on Rocky as a protagonist would be when she tried to talk Alex out of calling the police because she’d have to turn over the money. Like, damn, your friend and the pregnant lady just died, yet you’re still worried about the money you stole? Come on now.
4) Of the two “sound is your worst enemy” horror franchises, I feel that “A Quiet Place” is the superior series. Not saying “Don’t Breathe” is bad, it’s just not as good.
5) Stephen Lang killed it as Norman Nordstrom and absolutely deserved to lead the sequel. “But...evil villain don’t deserve to be main character!” Honestly, with how horror franchises are, it doesn’t surprise me that Norman is the lead of the sequel. The villains ARE the leads since that’s who you’re really watching these movies for.
6) The dog being the secondary villain was a nice touch.
7) So you know how “Brightburn” was if Superman was a horror villain? “Don’t Breathe” is if Daredevil was a horror villain. Or at least, if Daredevil fused with Punisher.
8) “There is nothing a man can’t do once he accepts the fact there is no god” - damn, that’s a killer line.
Overall rating: 6.5/10 (it’s really tough to enjoy a horror film when your main characters are so unsympathetic to the point that you don’t care if they live. Still, I give it credit for the tense atmosphere and Stephen Lang’s performance)