[ Alfonso Cuarón, 2013 ]
* * * *
[ Alfonso Cuarón, 2013 ]
* * * *
Yesterday my sister’s boyfriend told me he wished Sandra Bullock’s character had died in Gravity (2013) because it would have made a more surprising ending and to be perfectly honest, it changed my overall opinion of him.
Bird Box ~ 2018
Oceans 8 (2018)
Genre: action, comedy, crime, thriller
My Rating: 7/10
Director: Jan de Bont
Release Date: June 10, 1994
Young Sandra 🌹
MISS CONGENIALITY (2001)
dir Donald Petrie
- It’s a game. If he gets the money he wins, if the bus blows up he wins.
- What if you win?
- Then tomorrow we’ll play another one.
- But I’m not available to drive tomorrow. Busy.
Speed, Jan de Bont (1994)
I have searched high and low for someone, anyone to write a post about Jack from While You Were Sleeping.Why do we need to talk about him? His character is a masterclass on how to present male leads in a cheesy rom-com movie and is surprisingly unproblematic in what would be a very problematic situation if it wasn’t fictional!
To begin; Story. While You Were Sleeping (WYWS) is a 1995 holiday rom-com which starred and helped launch Sandra Bullock. Bullock plays Lucy, a lonely train booth worker in Chicago. She develops a passing crush on a daily commuter by the name of Peter. And I say passing, because it’s harmless until Peter falls onto the train tracks, into a coma and is ultimately saved by Lucy; thus cementing Lucy in the life of Peter and his family forever. Due to a mix-up at the hospital, Peter’s family believe Lucy is Jack’s finance and Lucy (being as lonely and awkward as she is) goes along with it and spends Christmas. All is doing swimmingly until Jack, Peter’s brother comes into the mix and falls for Lucy. She does the same too…
While the film bears many of the classic rom-com issues (marriage proposal after weeks of acquaintance, almost affairs, dead family trope etc.) Jack as a character is comparatively clean when sided against many other leading men in romantic films, even contemporary ones.
1. We as viewers see the two romantic leads get to know each other first. I don’t know about you, but meet-cutes rarely happen in real life. It is so refreshing to see a film where love grows from a firm foundation of friendship, which is so much more true to life. I know it can be difficult in a 90 min film to properly develop friendship when the end goal is romance, but my god! It is so much more satisfying this way! Do it more movie makers!
2. Jack actually has a character arc! In the beginning, Jack is working in the family business, which is father wants him to take on one day. We see him struggle with being the good son, he loves his family, but also wants to break out on his own. And by the end he finds the courage to do so, and actually finds out its really not so much of a big deal. A character arc for the supporting male lead? What?! The genre of the romantic comedy is filled with stagnant love interests, with no actual goals or desires outside of the main plot. Can I repeat the term refreshing? Well its my post so yes; Character arcs for love interests are R-E-F-R-E-S-H-I-N-G-!
3. He never tells Lucy his feelings. Um what? No, this is good. See, Lucy is (in Jack’s eyes) engaged to his brother for the majority of the movie. Now despite his smitten feelings for the sweater-clad Lucy, he respects what he believes to be her feelings for his brother. This makes it so much more frustrating for viewers, who know of Jack and Lucy’s feelings. JUST TELL EACH OTHER HOW YOU REALLY FEEL! God I love it.
4. He makes her laugh. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the whole friendship thing, but when do you see romantic leads doubling over from laughing? NEVER! Making each other laugh is a sign of great chemistry between two people, so why don’t rom-coms have more banter and humour? I don’t know! They should!
5. That “leaning” scene… thats all I’m writing for point five. The “leaning” scene. It’s just *chef kiss*. Also the fact Sandra Bullock absolutely smacks the hell out of Bill Pullman’s face with a two-way door will never not be funny.
Thats it. feel free to add more if you have secret feelings Bill Pullman’s Jack. Let them be known!! Xx
SAFE! A few references to V and feeling s*ck in very beginning. Some intense coughing.