Part 4: Resident Services Gets Sexy, Kicking Out Villagers, and The Able Sisters
Resident Services Upgrade:
- Once your 5th villager moves in, Tom Nook will let you know that the tent is closing down. For the entire next day you will be unable to access the ATM and the plaza will feature construction scaffolding.
- The day AFTER that though, you’ll finally reach the end of what I call the “Tutorial Phase” of the game.
- You’ll have a large brick plaza, and morning announcements will now be the domain of the perky and fun-loving poodle Isabelle!
- You also get a host of new things you can do!
- Tom handles all things housing.
- For 5,000 bells, you can customize your home. There are multiple house expansions you buy from Tom Nook as you pay off the previous loan. Each expansion adds something you can customize or adds onto the existing catalogue of options. Mailboxes, doors, roof, and siding are customizable at different stages of expansion.
- For 10,000 bells, he will give you a plot marker so you can invite new villagers to your island. They will move in with their SPECIAL CUSTOM HOME, no more defaults.
- For 50,000 bells, you can move any villagers home, Nooks Cranny, or the Museum. The next morning they will appear where you place the marker.
- For 50,000 bells you can move YOUR home anywhere you want. It’s alright if your current loan isn’t paid off, you can move it all the same.
- You can also order the construction of one incline or bridge at a time. You choose from a small catalogue of styles (they will NOT match most of the permanent paths you can later build, just FYI), and place the bridge or incline marker kit where you’d like it to go.
- A small orange creature appears with the scaffolding. The bridge or incline will be built the DAY AFTER you pay off the entire project.
- You can go to Tom Nook to erase a bridge or incline- EVEN IF IT HASN’T BEEN BUILT YET.
- Isabelle handles all things non-construction.
- You can now submit one of the designs in your Designer App to replace the current flag (look online for patterns to recreate or wait until you unlock the clothing store and can download other user-created patterns).
- You can create a custom tune for the town song. This is the little whistle pattern you hear every time you enter a building or initiate a conversation.
- Isabelle also mediates disputes you have with other villagers. What this means is if you talk to her about a villager and say you’re having problems, she will say she will “speak with them”.
- All this does is re-sets their personality marker. Nothing more.
- Isabelle CANNOT help you get rid of villagers (more on that later).
- Tom Nook informs you that he needs to speak with you about the next phase of the plan! He wants you to make the island nicer.
- Once your island reaches a 3-star rating (Talk to Isabelle for your current rating and hints on how to improve it), musician KK Slider will visit. Consider this somewhat “Winning the game”. But not really.
- Your island rating will probably be around 1-2 stars at this point.
- Raise the rating by building fences, planting multiple species of fruit and flower, placing objects around your island (such as making little cafe areas), picking up weeds, not leaving dropped items (such as crafting materials or items in the little leaf icon form), crafting DIY recipes and placing them around the island, and building bridges and inclines.
- You also need at least 7 villagers to reach 3 stars.
- Up to now vacant plots have been “if you build it, he will come”, meaning they are sold by the next morning.
- Now, however, your island rating matters. Plots might sit vacant for multiple days if your island rating is low.
The Campsite for Passive Aggressive Magicians
- At this point, Tom Nook will give you a kit to build a campsite.
- Once it is built, Isabelle will tell you in the daily announcement if there is a visitor at the campsite.
- You can chat with visitors to the campsite and hopefully convince them to move to your island.
- They will reject staying, then give you a challenge. You have to guess either the color of a playing card or the suite (heart, diamond, spade, club).
- They’ll also give you this challenge in exchange for clothes or other items.
- If they reject moving to your island, just keep asking them. They’ll say they admire how you don’t listen to them or respect their opinion, then give you another attempt to guess the card right.
- If you don’t have a plot of land available, just go set one up and they’ll offer to check with Tom again.
- The first campsite visitor is special though. Your first villager is one you *have* to invite to live on the island.
- They will move in with their special custom house design.
- If you’re lucky it’s a cool villager and not a douche (fucking Julian).
Villagers (and how to get rid of the old ones)!
- The rule from before holds- if you have an available plot of land (no matter your star rating), you will find random villagers on Mystery Islands. If you have enough miles to buy a bunch of Nook Miles Tickets (or *cough* buy a pack of nook miles on Amazon), you can be picky and shop around as much as you’d like.
- Getting rid of the old ones is a game of luck.
- Each day you talk to a villager they get a point, giving them gifts that align with their style or favorite colors also gives points (you can find online guides to help you in this or download the ACNH.Guide phone app).
- NOT talking to a villager removes a point.
- Ignore a villager- sometimes it takes a couple weeks- until you see them pacing the island deep in thought with a little thought bubble above their head.
- Talk to them and they will say they were thinking about exploring other islands. Encourage them to leave.
- The next day Isabelle will announce they are leaving. Their house will be “in boxes”, so everything in moving boxes.
- There is an opportunity at this point:: If someone else wants that villager, they can visit your island and chat with them while their house is in boxes. They will be able to invite the villager to move to THEIR island instead.
- Likewise, if you have a free plot you can visit a villager on a friend’s island who is “in boxes” and invite them to live with you.
- There are online forums devoted to letting people grab in-boxes villagers from one another.
- The day after a villager is in-boxes their house will return to the scaffolding form and you can hunt down new villagers on Mystery Islands.
The Able Sisters
- Each day you will have a different visitor to the island, and some of them will appear in your plaza.
- The most important visitor at this point in the game is Mable- a blue hedgehog.
- Every time you see her, buy as much of her wares as you can afford, even if you don’t like it.
- Once you’ve bought 5,000 bells worth of items, she’ll say she and her sister were thinking of moving to the island and setting up a shop.
- She will give you the building kit for the Able Sisters shop.
- When the shop opens, every single day there will be new clothing items available. Don’t rely on the mannequins and displays in the shop- go into the fitting room to try on things in many different colors!
- At the back of the shop is a kiosk. Players who design their own clothes upload them to the Nintendo servers. Using the kiosk and typing in those codes (or now there is a keyword search) will give you outfits that others have designed! Save the outfits to your DesignPro phone app (on your in-game phone).
- Open your phone app (in game phone) to select the outfit to wear!
- At the back of the store is Sable- a red hedgehog.
- She is unfriendly when you first visit.
- Talk to her every single day and she will slowly- over a week or two- become friendlier.
- Once Able is fully unlocked as a friend, she will give you patterns to customize the fabrics of your DIY projects.
- Visit her daily still to get more patterns at random.