mI realize that, over the past few days, my readers here have been asking for photos of my progress. At first, I planned my next photo to be taken, once all three panels had been stitched together, before I started embroidering. However, more than one of you has asked for photos, so I will give what is wanted, with respect, and understanding that this blog is something that I am finding enjoyment in, in large part, due to all of you, and the knowledge that you are reading. In this post, you will find a photo of the two completed panels, and the last panel, that I still have a few inches to work. I have also decided to include a picture of the progress that I am making on the green wrap for my sister, just so it is no longer some mystery, floating around out there, filling your mind’s with wonder.
Yesterday, I have decided that, though nowhere in this book does it ask for you to have one, I am going to be ordering a row counter, for the remainder of these projects. (I also reminded myself of a self-made promise, which I will now tell you. The promise that, no matter what, I will ALWAYS be honest, in what I write here. The good. The bad. The ugly. It is all to document my very real experience with Annette Feldman, as I work through her last book. Each and every trial, and tribulation, will be documented, without falsification, or fabrication.) The reason for this. I have noticed, sadly, that the two panels already finished are not, in fact, the same size. Despite the fact that, while working the second panel, I held it to the first to check. When doing so, the panels seemed to be the same size. But, as we all know, yarn tends to stretch, and now, one of the panels is about half an inch8 to one inch, longer than the other. And, while I am sure that I can correct this, when piecing them together, to where it is not noticeable, I am upset over this, and will always know of the difference in panel sizes. All the book tells you to do is make panels of a certain size, for each afghan. In the case of Windswept, each panel is supposed to be 60 inches. However, I have learned that it will, in fact, be a much better choice to, for the remainder of these afghans, use a row marker, in addition to the measurement. For example, with the Calico afghan, coming up next, each square is worked until they reach the length of nine inches. What I will be doing is working the first square to nine inches in length, marking each row. Then, for the remaining squares, I will no longer work off of the measurement of nine inches, but rather, off of the amount of rows counted, while making the first square. Viola….a stitch marker will save the day. What a concept!
I am sad to say that the first afghan will have panels not the same length. This actually pisses me off, more than I can ever truly say. I entered into this project, wanting to be a complete perfectionist. Not just for me, but also, for Annette. And, we all know, by reading previous posts (or, in my case, reading the introduction to this book) that Annette has a very strict opinion on perfection, when it comes to these works. I feel, in all honesty, like I have let her down, with this fuck-up. I can say that I am happy that this afghan has fringe working all the way around it, as this will help to hide the mistake. I am sorry Annette! Truly, I am!
Yes, I am pissed at myself. But, you know what? As I write this, I am kind of angry with Annette, too. I still respect her, of course. But, I really think that she should have mentioned the use of a row counter. Because, honestly, the odds of making several pieces, which will ALL just miraculously happen to be the same measurement, without counting the rows worked…I don’t think so!
Initially, and I will not lie, I did have the thought to scrap the previous panels and start all over, once my stitch marker comes. But, that would just be stupid! (Not to mention that it would keep me working with this gold-toned yarn, which I absolutely CANNOT STAND!!!) I have decided that this will be, from now on, nicknamed my “Lesson Learned Afghan!”
As for yesterday…
I worked with the panel, for roughly thirty minutes in the morning, until I ran out of yarn. Now, I have to wait, until JoAnn’s sends me my new yarn. They say it could take up to six days. I am hopeful that it will be sooner, but, we shall see. Forced into taking a break, I focused my yarn-time energies on knitting, and worked on the wrap, for my sister. It is a nice break, both for my eyes, which are happy to not be seeing piss gold yarn, and for my wrists, which are happy to have a break, from the twisting motion of crochet.
In other news, the weather in Florida has been absolute CRAP the last few days. Gray skies, rain, and winds so heavy that threaten to knock me down, and take off with my walker. If you live in Southern Florida, and are reading this, please make note: If, sometime in the next few days, you see a random walker just rolling along all by itself, then know there is an angry disabled man somewhere (probably lying in a puddle), cursing this storm.