So apparently even after working on the house all weekend, I still managed to find a little bit of time and energy to play around and do another practice/jam session last night after I posted about me NOT having the time and energy to do so. Go figure. I’ll render this out and queue it up to post on Monday.
Really just trying to hone some of my skills, working on playing left and right hand together. I found some beats that worked for what I wanted in my back catalog of crap and used them instead of a metronome when I was recording. The loops I made were simple enough, and I’m getting used to doing right and left hand together a little more, so when I quantized it I barely had to tweak or fix anything.
This was really just three instruments, each one with two loops. And I wanted to practice doing some mixing and sound editing on the fly, rather than rendering each track and then trying to mix and do effects on them. So I spent a little more time fixing it up after recording than I did recording. But overall, not too bad for just sitting down with no idea what I wanted to do, fiddling around with a few synths, and coming up with a quick song. The first instrument I settled on for this was actually one that I saved in case I wanted to use it to replace one of the Tyrell Test track instruments, since it had a nice sawtooth swell sound to it.
I kind of like being able to mix and edit it while it’s actually playing, instead of rendering tracks out and then doing it. Something feels a little more natural about it. I can fix or change something in the music tracks without having to go back and re-render everything. It also feels closer to what I would be doing if I actually had a physical setup instead of doing it all digitally. All of the filters, all of the tweaks to volume along the way were done on the sound bus while it rendered. Which, oddly enough, is a little easier on my poor old laptop. It has trouble streaming multiple lossless high quality audio tracks at once, so the sound keeps cutting out when I’m trying to mix and edit. With the sound being produced by the audio plugins rather than being streamed from the hard drive, it can keep up a lot easier.
It’s still not perfect. There are a few plugins that are kind of processor-intensive, and they’ll still cause problems. But not nearly as much, and it doesn’t cause nearly as much of a waste of time as it would to render out every track, convert them to mp3s, spend a bunch of time editing and mixing the mp3 files, then replacing them with the better .flac files to do the last few bits of editing before I render the whole thing again. So… yeah. This was just as much of a practice for my skills using Acid as it was for my skills coming up with and recording a song on the fly.