Problem: Someone from around here has left two messages for me asking if I am still running the fiberglass business so they can buy gelcoat. This wouldn’t be a problem except….
1) My phone doesn’t immediately tell me I have a message, so these are a couple days old.
2) The guy (named Guy, oddly enough) wants me to call him back at a different number than the one he called from, but he says it so fast the local way** I can’t make out the last two digits.
3) I really stress over phone calls, but if I’m not 100% certain of the number I almost can’t make a call at all.
4) If I don’t call him back he will take it personally.
5) Guy is a local. His brother was in my class, and he’s connected to the community in all the ways I’m not. If he gets offended I haven’t replied, everyone will know and make assumptions about why.
So now I’m freaking out over this thing that if we were face to face would take seconds with no hard feelings. Fuckin’ hell I wish I hadn’t missed his calls!
**Yeah, yeah, I’ve lived here all my life so you wouldn’t think I’d have trouble with the local accent, or should I say accents. Well, all my life people have talked about my “funny” accent and wanted to know where I was “really” from, so somehow I guess it isn’t surprising if my ear doesn’t have a hang of it. What IS odd is that I don’t have trouble with accents elsewhere. All over the country, other countries, heck, even countries where I don’t speak the language, no problem. But the closer I get to home the more I do the smile and nod while trying to figure out what the heck they just said. Mental block caused by being an outcast family maybe?