How to stay safe
Alcohol affects balance, judgment and reaction time while driving or walking, so don’t drive or walk under the influence,says the AAA. Avoid using handheld devices, including mobile phones, while driving or walking. Everyone should prevent being ‘intexticated’.“
To keep roadways safe during the holidays,here are some tips for partygoers.
- Designate a sober driver; don’t drive if you’ve been drinking.
- If you have been drinking, call a cab, use a ride app, or have a sober friend or relative drive you home.
- If you cannot find a safe ride home, stay where you are until you are completely sober.
- If you’re hosting a party, serve plenty of nonalcoholic beverages and food.
- Make sure your guests do not drive home impaired.
- Don’t serve anyone under 21 alcoholic beverages. It’s against the law.
- When driving, be sure to watch your speed. Slow down as you drive through neighborhood areas, preferably five miles per hour less than the posted speed limit.
- Discourage new, inexperienced drivers from driving.