Yvonne Strahovski - GQ Australia magazine February 2015 issue
Yvonne Strahovski - GQ Australia magazine February 2015 issue
Yvonne Strahovski x Nikki Reed x Emily Blunt
Just the girl next door…
1. This is the first tv show I’ve ever watched that explores the life of immigrants in immigration detention centres. It’s heartbreaking to see how many men, women and kids live apart from their families and spend years in these centres. Some of them never see their families or even get old there.
2. It’s utterly disgusting that millions of people are forced to leave their countries and run in order for them to live peaceful lives. So many men and women are killed and raped due to dictatorship. Imagine what it’s like to run from the place you are born because you constantly live in fear, poverty and you have no future.
3. Another side of the immigration detention centres that the tv show explores quite well is the way lots of people abuse the system, especially the ones that need to make sure these people are helped and their cases are solved. One of the saddest part of the tv show was the way most of the guards were physically hurting and torturing the immigrants. Moreover, the tv show clearly shows that most of these places consists of a circle of abusive trashy people, who gladly make life more difficult for the immigrants in the immigration centres.
4. The other sad part of the tv show was when Javad asked Sofie for her to be their voice. Just another proof that immigrants feels like no one cares about them because of their skin colour, nationality, etc… They feel discriminated by society and have no one to hear them out. It seems like no one cares about their needs, struggles and pain.
5. My other favourite part of the tv show is probably the way the writers explored the different characters and their struggles based on their experience in the detention centre.
6. This tv show is also a very good example for the fact that following the law doesn’t always mean that you are doing the right thing. Sometimes, in life you need to follow your heart and help people, despite that this might be against a specific authority. In this aspect, Cam’s character is a pure example. In the beginning, he was helpful and caring for the people in the centre. However, due to unfair decision making by his superiors, he felt like nothing can change the place and in the end it changed him as a person. This also shows us that we as human, are always one step away from becoming monsters. Therefore, sometimes it’s better for us to take decisions based on our ethical laws than on the written ones.
7. Sofie is another quite complex and amazing character. Her parents constantly pressure her by constantly comparing her to her sister. They criticize her and damage her mental health because they don’t approve the way she lives her life and they are constantly trying to completely change her. Now, this was one of the reasons why Sofie started to mentally lose herself and get even more into the idea that she totally needs to erase her identity. The other reason was the fact that she got into a cult that she thought was her escape from reality and the place where she can find herself. Instead, she was sexually and mentally abused. This pushed her completely over the edge and she totally tried to erase her identity. In the end, the only one that didn’t give up on her was her sister. Despite that families aren’t perfect and quite often they judge, misunderstand and criticize you, in the end of the day, they will always be the ones to never give up on you. So be careful who you trust and remember, not everyone that offers you help does it with good intentions.
8. Ms. Kowitz is like the necessary opposite of Cam in the tv show. She starts as someone who will do anything to prove herself worthy of the position. She constantly struggles between doing the right thing and doing what her superior tells her to do so that she keeps her job. This is a pure example that the system is just corrupted all over the world. The system consists of snakes because of whom, it’s really difficult to change it. In the beginning, Ms. Kowitz makes horrible decisions in order for her to cover what is actually happening in the centre. In spite of knowing deep down that what she does is wrong, she keeps on being a tool of her superior. Ms. Kowitz is an example that we, as human are always one step away from doing the right thing and make a change. No matter who is against us and what pressure we face, we should always do the right thing and I am happy that in the end Ms. Kowitz exposed everything to the media.
9. The most heartbreaking part of the tv show was the journey of the Nasseri family to Australia. Their journey is a pure example of what hell all the immigrants go through when they decide to immigrate. They sleep in unknown places, meet dangerous people and have no choice but to trust them cause they have no other option. The uncertainty of not knowing whether you are going to arrive alive or dead. The fact that you might see your family for a last time. The uncertainty whether you are going to be brought back to your country forever and be prosecuted or stay in a immigration centre where they barely pay attention to you. His daughter tried to harm herself by the age of twelve, she watched her mother and sister drowning and couldn’t do anything about it. In the end, all she had left was her father and him letting her go totally broke my heart. Sadly, this isn’t just a tv show! It happens every year to millions of people trying to escape from the horrible countries they live in.
10. To conclude, I love everything about this tv show. The plot, the characters, the complexity, the way each and every character was explored and how their story was told. This tv show really opened my eyes for a lot of stuff going on in our society and also for lots of disgusting things happening in the system. The one who is supposed to help and protect people.
Yvonne Strahovski at Katy Perry: Part of Me PREMIERE Pink Carpet Arrivals
Holy sweet fuck this is gorgeous…where has this picture been my whole life?
This is officially my favorite picture of Yvonne Strahovski–at least until I find another I like better :)
Can’t handle the hotness…so I’m just going to leave her right here…
Just a group of beautiful women